DPC Throwdown Hoedown / My PC Is The Most Stable Thing In My Life

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Paul Pi, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Just thought it might be edutaining fun for AS members to put forth LatencyMon results of their precious DAWs running plain idle for a minimum of 10 mins. (so as to not unduly hinder people...)

Behold:

dpc-throwdown.jpg

RAM: 32MB Corsair Vengeance LPX
    GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GTX 1070Ti
    NET: ONLINE
    PORT: ETHERNET

Another chill night in with my baby.:chilling:

I didn't bother to list SSDs etc, 'cos i don't think it really matters for our purposes - though of course if you want to get your buxom NVMe's out for the boys, by all means off you show!

A gauntlet is now laid firmly down before the hyperactive flap of your cybernetically uptight computer.
    So drop a quick snap of your neurotic DPC stats. If you dare... And may the most idle workstation win... 7 :deep_facepalm:

EDIT: @tzzsmk mentioned audio interface. Fair point. For this rig i'm using my trusty old RME Fireface800, via a Texus Instruments chipset Firewire PCie card. Additionally I don't have any AV software running - instead i simply run a manual malwarebyte scan every few days. With due diligence, i haven't had any security issues whatsoever on any of my machines for about five years so far...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

baahhh you tease you!

the only thing that bothers me is that we even need to look at these things. I think im pretty close, but it was a while ago I did this test since haven't had any problems lately, I think I had some smaller jump every 40 sec or something but it doenst translate to audio problems. anyhow congrats! ;)

4. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Now that is simply incredible - while i certainly did make an effort to properly stabalise my nice new rig when i put it together recently, I honestly thought that there would be a whole slew of posts by some of the very talented techheads knocking about these parts that would easily thrash my idle, purely ironic DPC boast... indeed, what i was kinda hoping for was an informal, lighthearted poll to guage whether there really is any significant resource sapping differences between OSs...

Of course, with all the incredible R2R valentine goodies released on the sister site yesterday, most folk are probably putting their DAWs to far better use elsewhere!

Well, now i finally know what they mean when they say "it's lonely at the top"... :(

5. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

Busy just now but will get to it tomorrow :wink:

BTW good score :)

6. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

no DPC latency on my hackintosh :chilling:

btw cool results, I see nvidia is the biggest stressor on your rig, I think it would be useful if you'd also mention your audio interface, just in case someone would want to take your reference for their builds :phunk:

7. alex921

alex921 Producer

i dont get why you post this, to show off or something? btw your daw should not be idle, try running some plugins and see how it deals with audio in realtime, think thats the main strong point of latencymon:dunno:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

I guess that's always the problem with the written word on forums like this... humorous nuance evidently can get lost in translation.

Latency monitor is actually a fairly demanding application and as far as i am aware shouldn't be run while your DAW is in use. Of course I could be wrong about that, but that's hardly the point.

There is a massive amount of partisan OS mud-slinging around general performance issues all over this site and i thought it would be interesting, maybe educational, to see whether there was any foundation to the claims and counter-claims...

Given there are so many performance variables in DAW & plugins etc i think that would only fog the results... which AREN'T meant to be taken that seriously anyway - at the end of the day, if you can comfortably rely on your computer to help you do your tuneage it's all good! :wink:

9. techdevil

techdevil Rock Star

Couldn't beat you m8, but I have a AV running. and its very much a general use PC, did not bad though, usualy Nvida driver thats the problem though dont know what happend to piss the kernel off though.
    Latency Mon.jpg
    Win 10 1809
    Steinberg UR824
    Intel 8700k @ 4.8
    32 gig Corsair DDR4 Dominator 3000
    Asus Maximus Hero X
    Nvidia 1080
    On line all time.

Latency Mon.jpg CPUID 1.jpg CPUID 2.jpg CPUID 3.jpg CPUID 4.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Nice one dude, tidy rig! Truth is my ISR/DPCs (especially directX) head that way under any kind of significant graphics-related activity - courtesy of our DAW-dismissive chums @ nvidia... i mean, can't they release a special driver for non-gamers?! (cue smart-arse chime-in about buying one of their 'professional' cards...)

Of course if anyone wants to send me a Tesla V100 i promise i won't complain... :mates:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  11. statik

statik Audiosexual

holy shit :woot: that thing cost more than my car did, wtf and such

12. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

with those kernels at your feet guys there is not excuse to make a hit. right now! before they change their mind ;)

13. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

Damn, they told me if i threw an alarming amount of cash at some computer kit i'd be in bed with Taylor Swift before Christmas, yet here i am and i check every 30 minutes but she's still not here. Maybe if my entire family buys it in some unforseeable & unaccountable mass extinction event and i get one of those new IBM Q System One PC's and then stick Cubase on it, i reckon my DPCs will be even lower and those hits will flow and taylor will come and i'll be in clover maybe only a year behind schedule. It's destiny: Me, TS and an IBM Q making sweet music together in infinite combinations, all at the same time... :unsure:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019