Downtempo drums

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by xsound, Mar 11, 2021.

1. xsound

xsound Member

Hello guys!

I was wondering if any of you came around such sounds somewhere? Asking about the drums in particular in the attached example. Very nice programming and progression, quite fast but it feels good!
    To me it sounds somehow like stylus with some additional programming involved or maybe even kontakt?
    Did you ever found similar, quality drums in any library/expansion ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Ambar

Ambar Producer

Are you asking about drum "loops" or just drum samples? ... Well about the samples, find them in antidrum machine and drums overkill (kontakt) also use a 909 vst and tweak it a bit for snares and kick (optional).
    In the sister site search for "ambient drum" and you will have loops, midis and more. Yes, ambient drum n bass is closer to the video sounds.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  4. hani king

hani king Platinum Record

yes these might be stylus ,but i think they combined alot of of loops from many libraries to achieve it

in music business theres ''no rules''rule on how you use samples from other songs/3rd party libraries
    you can use them to your advantage by slicing and editing loops to your advantage as there are so many
    sample libraries out there extracted from synth or being processed loops and percussion samples
    ,even you can use jazz snares/break beats/and pitch it down to create something new

this is where creativity comes to you (you should have the knowledge to piece together those samples into a good drum loops
    try add fx /reverse/panning process during drums programing on your daw

another advice is to get new libraries under newage/slowtempo/genre/ and find those unique sound to build a percussion
    (even indian or arabic percussioan can be processed here (remember ''no rules'' rule )

now im hearing this song which i recognize as new age style/similar to Enigma /ERA /and other newage groups (i have hugh collection of newage so im familiar with the genre )

the base is always recognized as perfectly calm processed drums sessions ,which usually producers thought about it already
    while building tracks ,with bells/ lead synth / shakuhatchi flute /muted strings/ vocals you name it

to get a better understanding ,i can recommend another song you should hear as one of the best examples of drums progression
    is enigma track - push the limit,there are few processed drums (this song purely made out of small samples )
    with simple toms that being panned and delayed to give big impact in the beginning ,and wooden stick being used as main snare )
    and as the song goes forward the drums gets bigger in that song until the break part with vocodor synth plays in
    and the drums starts rebuilding up again ,with some kind of indian proceed drums ,
    then before the end theres another type of percussion drums being played with bigger snare

and thats just one of their top songs ,they use samples to create big drums sets to be used for next song
    so be sure they dont use quick loops to build tracks

make sure you plan these drums sessions at intros ,or moving to the second part of the track

good luck bro

5. xsound

xsound Member

Thank you for replies! Of course edits, matching individual samples is what I had in mind, just they way how nicely they fit alltogether is just incredible. Im curious if the producers spend hours of finding the 'right' sample, then tweaking it - or going somehow with pre-done loops from mentioned earler stylus/kontakt that are the high quality, good programmed beats. It surely sounds awesome!

Noticed often in such ambiental style, reverb sits on drums quite often, but so nicely that is not muddying the mix, still clear, but heavenly. probably with low frequencies cut on rev.

Nice track from Michael Cretu!