Doubler or double tracking?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Niruvana, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Niruvana

Niruvana Kapellmeister

I have tried doubler but it sounds still mono too me. Does doubler really work as if double tracking?

3. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Not really. Double-tracking is much more evolving, organic and unpredictable (which I like). Even if you are, or the vocalist you are recording is, a very good singer (pitch-wise and timing-wise).
    But a doubler can add some width nonetheless. It all depends on how wide you set the "doubling voice(s)".

I prefer doubletracking and I doubletrack all my vocals, especially during refrains/choruses to make it lift a bit. Yes, it takes more time and effort but I find it worth it.

I also add doubler on the centered lead sometimes, but just a tiny bit (to add width).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. playtime

playtime Rock Star

'Doubler' plugins never worked for me in that scenario. I always prefer recording double takes as they provide sligthly different timbre and energy. When you work with talented singers it's just wonderful.

Doublers can be used for widening/thickening vocals or interesting effects, but not for creating double takes.
    Hope this helps, cheers! :winker:

5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

The thing is doublers by their very same nature create "fake" double tracking.
    That is really useful, but a double track is always better. Well, if it's minimally well recorded, of course.

I'm not saying nothing the previous fellas haven't said, just with a different angle.

6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

A doubler spits out a precise delayed copy of the original. If this delay is too short you will percive it still as mono. Additionally you get some phase issues, unless the delay is audible as a delay, but then you can also use a cross-delay.
    What we perceive as stereo is the difference between the left and the right signal. That's why background choirs are booked, even for a studio recording and why a single guitarist prefers to play two different guitars for the left and the right track.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  7. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Best doubling I've tried is Revoice Pro. Still, it's easily beat by recording another tight take.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

This is usually one of the worst problems. Some doubler plugins even come with their own phase cancellation detector (bx_shredspread comes to my mind)

9. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

I always double my back up vocals, but the simple way and the sound you may be looking for is an imitation of 30 ips tape doubling. Duplicate a track and move one a little foward or back to the other. Pan each where you like the sound or keep it mono, I like panned L and R a little. Phil Collins' voice would be a good example of that. he uses it a lot. Lots of singers do. You can put a little modulation on one if you like. Baxter is one of the most knowledgeable members. His advice is usually spot on.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List