Dorico Steinberg’s new scoring software

Discussion in 'Software News' started by ed-enam, May 18, 2016.

1. Willum

Willum Rock Star

Yes i know theres a difference, thats why i wrote in my original post "Yes i realize that its not exactly the same but Steinberg is not releasing til the end of the year. Plenty of time for Reaper to get even better."

No one is saying you have to change, but for someone who already uses Reaper then its additional functionality in a framework that you are already familiar with is a great bonus for no extra cost, as opposed to nearly $600 for steinbergs program.

2. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i heard rumors they are discussion the hardware elic too. wouldnt be nice.

3. krakenfart

krakenfart Ultrasonic

Just had a look at Reapers notation option and feel its not designed to produce professional quality notation. Okay for simple stuff, but to me, it looks amateurish. I use Sibelius (6) and find it adequate but Avids updates do not resolve its long outstanding failings and I doubt if Avid will ever get their act together to sort them out as they seem to concentrate only on new gimmicy features like tablet integration. I use two x 27 inch monitors and I still need more screen real estate! Finale o the other hand has missed the opportunity to leap ahead - shame on them. The Steinberg option is one I will go to, in part to the integration (eventually) with Cubase.

We'll see what happens, the coding with Steinberg has been well thought out so it won't be a rehash of old (maybe even 16 bit) code. It should be quite nippy. It seems chord symbols are not included in v1.0 which is rather disappointing, but for me anyway, that hasn't put me off.

Pays ya money... takes ya chance ...

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  4. MrT

MrT Newbie

Anyone who does serious notation has either Finale, Sibelius, or both. so in reality it'll be $300 for most people.
    There's been quite a following in some FB groups that I'm part of, people are eager to jump on the new thing.
    I certainly will have to, if all the clientele decides to make it the next standard.

Finale is stale, Sib. might be getting updates, and then again maybe not...For Dorico we know it should have a certain future at least.

No sequencer will ever do what the dedicated notation programs do, and I seriously doubt anyone will ever try. Probably not doable either, the difference between the 2 worlds is huge.