Dorico from Steinberg: Don't Believe the Hype

Discussion in 'Software' started by Maxxx0, May 13, 2021.

1. Maxxx0

Maxxx0 Member

I just tried out Dorico Pro for Windows. There is a VERY serious bug, but what is REALLY disturbing is that people have been complaining to Steinberg about this for MONTHS, and the Dorico team (Daniel Spreadbury, spokesman) have not even acknowledged it.

The bug: Anyone who has gotten very used to Finale, Sibelius, or Musecore, on Windows or Mac, knows that the ESC (Escape) key is absolutely critical for certain things. In the Dorico manual, it says quite clearly that the function of the ESC key is to "Stop Note Input," just like in all the other software, and if it doesn't work as expected, it drives you INSANE.

Many Dorico users have found that it DOES NOT WORK! Response from Steinberg: Total silence, or wordy evasion of issue.

Sound familiar? Of course. It happens all the time with large-scale software. The point is this: Dorico is just another bug-filled monster like all the other shit we are forced to use and struggle with if we want to get ANYTHING done. IT IS NOT SPECIAL. IT DOES NOT HAVE A HALO OVER ITS HEAD.

That was the first bug I discovered, about 10 minutes after trying Dorico for the first time, and I'm done with it for at least a year. I've been through this young-software nightmare before and I will never repeat the experience if I can possibly avoid it. I advise you all to avoid Dorico unless you like being a software tester. I don't.

3. ACAS

ACAS Kapellmeister

I just like the look of it. Sometimes I open and look at it, then forthwith remember its functional deficiencies, then I close it. Haven't changed this routine since long ago.:sad:

4. leseylex

leseylex Newbie

Lol, how does finding one bug mean "Dorico is just another bug-filled monster.."?

5. dkny

dkny Platinum Record

So... complicated software, no matter how good, has bugs, some of which a user may or may not hit depending on their use cases, and some of which may or may not be serious, others just a bit annoying but often with workarounds for the time being.

And customers - well, not just customers, people just running the demo - do not have a direct immediate feedback line into the developers and product managers, who are probably busy with trying to fix bugs that have been reported, and implement the various things users are requesting/demanding/complaining about, rather than trying to placate the people complaining about their one bug that's particularly important to them.

So we've learnt... nothing new at all...

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

trust me its still better than AviD sibelius take, here the GUI design and the placement of various/uncountable stuff will drive you insane.
    Yes no BUG, but the GUI itself is a bug. (Uninstalled after 5 mins, bcs the GUI needs a badly needed redesign to make it even useable.)
    Also here AViD doesnt care, since the whole team is working on Dorico @Steinberg now lol

MuseScore is pretty good, but lacks features. But its still good.

Finale i have never tried, cant comment on it.

For Dorico, well maybe there is a workaround? Also how do you know Steinberg ignores the request of fixing this bug? Sometimes the line to the devs is very long, thats why its always good to go into a Beta forum - like IL, Ableton, etc have and just post there.

Also i think such notation software is one of the most complicated things, bcs it simply has so many features to cover everything?

7. ACAS

ACAS Kapellmeister

Notation tools are not like Piano rolls. Mastering and working with them requires specialized knowledge of music. At the moment, this knowledge is not available to everyone.

Piano rolls are good only for implementation and better control, otherwise, no one can learn music comprehensively and extensively by using piano roll.

8. Maxxx0

Maxxx0 Member

This was just something I had to get off my chest, and I know plenty of people agree with both the specific complaint as well as the general sentiments. But I'm not a complete negative Nancy! Listen: I think it is WONDERFUL that audioz.download exists so that people may seriously TRY BEFORE THEY BUY, so that this sort of discussion can take place. Also I greatly appreciate the crackers. True, their efforts are not always successful, but when I get angry about that, it's my own problem, not theirs!

9. ACAS

ACAS Kapellmeister

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  10. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

Steinberg is going into a weird direction which might not end well. Check out the cubase 11.0.20 thread on their forum. People are seriously pissed. You just can not afford to run software with so much bloat of bugs.

11. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

to expand on this

there is also one about dorico:

and here is Musescore

I always come back for a few years to the AViD sibelius video, there is not even one app, which i feel so bad about. I tried Sibelius v4 or v5 and it was actual quite good.