Doom inspired DnB Track & Video.

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Gwai-Lo, May 14, 2016.

1. Gwai-Lo

Gwai-Lo Member

Due to the release of Doom 4, I had found some inspiration to create a short Drum & Bass themed track.
    Had my deadline set for its release (Yesterday)(May 13 2016). Generally happy with what I had by the deadline and so I quickly slapped together a video for it. Hope someone out there can get some frags rocking the track =D. Enjoy.

Video:

Just Track:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Man! Where's my BFG?
    Does the track get infinite plays if I type in "IDSPISPOPD" (minus quotes)?

4. Gwai-Lo

Gwai-Lo Member

Oh she is there! Had a bit of a time stretching facelift, but could not leave her at home.

I think that was one of the few cheat codes I have permanently burned into memory. The earliest I would have to say is Super Contra for Nes. Never too old for video games!

5. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Outstanding job, Marine. :like:

6. foster911

foster911 Guest

Really cool man! By your track, I changed my mind about the DnB. Have a feeling of being in the middle of a real war. If you did not give more info about it, I would think that you're working for ID software.

To be honest I was not thinking more about the horror feelings of notes. Your "D G F G#" notes' combination (part of Eb major scale) in the intro gives a dark feeling. Do you have an idea about it? I mean you did it on purpose or chose it improvisationly?

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
  7. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Very nice but too short, I was expecting more actually.
    Anyway, well done: It brings back some (very) good memories...

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  8. Gwai-Lo

Gwai-Lo Member

Sorry for such a delay to respond. I had not noticed any more comments added and been recently busy with crap keeping me from the music stuff.

Honestly I did make the intro like that on purpose. But I just went by ear as best as i can recall. However in that situation (trying to come up with an intro to an existing piece) I would try to stick to notes that work with the main body.

Ok so you spurred my curiosity and since I have not looked at the Ableton set in a while, I wanted to double check before responding. Although in the arrangement the midi notes in that section are actually C F D# F#, I have each note played with an EQ automation possibly shifting them to the notes you had suggested. The 4 points being a (lowcut- midlowgain - midhigh notch - highcut) setup on a FX-Rack macro knob. To make it possibly more confusing, the EQ automation is chained to only the mid freq following a multi band freq split etc. Having said that I came to recalling how it was I went with those specific notes & was indeed just done by ear. Played around with keys on a midi keyboard and with the macro set to a knob on same keyboard. Eventually came up with that, liked how it sounded and kept it etc. I will also mention as it somewhat relevant that the synths in the chain are the same for both the into and main section.

But thanks for your interest & I hope you can find that part of DnB that you must not have experienced =D. Its been around almost 2 decades and maybe you've only come across the areas not to your taste of the genre. If you like dark stuff your in the right genre, just gotta get pointed to the right labels n artists =). I could give some recommends if you want.

Regards.

9. Gwai-Lo

Gwai-Lo Member

Thanks for feedback and I totally agree it should be longer. I really didn't want it to feel like it was dragging on, and set my goal to be finished when game was released. In that way I had rushed a little =(