Don't you hate it when people pester you about your passion

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by gotnofriends, May 14, 2023.

1. gotnofriends

gotnofriends Kapellmeister

Look, I love music, love making music but please I don't wanna share my music cause it sucks (to anyone but me)

3. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

It's rare people even want to hear it, let alone beg me to hear it, especially if they don't even know I'm even making music in first place. Maybe stop telling people about your passion...

4. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I think people pester you to hear your music usually because they're trying to be polite. Rare people are really curious. Some ask you to hear if it sounds better than theirs. :wink:

Women ask you to assess if it's worth it being with you, so it better sounds good if you wanna get laid! :rofl:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. gotnofriends

gotnofriends Kapellmeister

no the "you got to have a passion, what is it" and in my head I'm begging them to drop it

6. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

Tell them you signed strict NDA and can't showcase any of it, but they already heard it probably on TV lol

7. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

just smoke weed, smoke lots of weed, then problems like this just are not problems anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  8. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Play it for us PLAY IT DO IT DO IT

9. stopped

stopped Producer

username checks out, although those who think they're his friends might be surprised

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I keep a demo tape of a noise rock band I was in, when I barely knew even how to hold the guitar. Nobody ever asks again, trust me.

But for music, no, don't get it. I do write a lot of utility scripts etc. for computing, sometimes for automating music/audio mangling tasks. I play something and it's like "How'd you do that?" and I'm "I wrote a small script to do it for me". "Can I see the script?" "No, 'cause it's not ready and it'll never be ready."

So in short: I write a lot of really disgusting code which will never reach even alpha status, and those I just couldn't show to anybody. just say a big resounding "NO" and they'll stop pestering you.

11. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

Nope. But I do hate it when people complain about something they caused, by talking about it without provocation. Or posting videos in public forums, also unprovoked. Because, how else could they learn about your specific passions; to ask about them, without telepathy?

12. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

This. It's the default conversation whenever the topic pops up "What do you play? Do you make music? Oh, can i hear it?".

Here's a fun little thing. I don't like talking about myself or my hobbies IRL for the same reason, it's a conversation that very few people are interested in and usually leads nowhere. Here's a tip, flip the conversation around. Works great when the person asking also does something related to music, make it about them and they'll either talk themselves to exhaustion or change topics. Then you can keep pressing until they are down on their knees regretting even bringing the topic up.

Okay maybe that's too much, and a little manipulative, but it's a good way of making people stop asking about it, or talking to you altogether.

Did i mention that i got no friends either? :rofl:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. %

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2023