Don't Blame Young People.

Discussion in 'Music' started by black.afrika.zulu.x, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Primitive compared to ...what?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. black.afrika.zulu.x

black.afrika.zulu.x Platinum Record

Compared to other DAWs with loads of expensive, easy-to-use plugins.

Compared to the rich, complex musical ideas that would fry most CPUs if you tried to implement them...

:)

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Polymetrix

Polymetrix Platinum Record

@black.afrika.zulu.x
    Did you ever noticed sites like
    www.vst4free.com
    or
    https://bedroomproducersblog.com/category/news/
    or
    http://www.airwindows.com/

If you are convinced that you need expensive software to make great music you are the one who is trying to deceive aspiring music makers into thinking they'd need that. Also there is fantastic cheaper stuff available (valhalla, Klanghelm e.g.). Of course there are some things which get better the more you can spend (mics, monitors...hardware basically) but if you need that expensive stuff you're just looking for excuses to not get started.

And for complexity: it's complex for four-year-olds to learn how to ride a bike. You didn't stop there so learning how to handle audio tools is not too much to ask if you're trying to make music. If you're learning how to play an instrument there is no "easy mode for lazy f***s" either.

4. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

...which are not available to young people?

5. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

so it comes down to a lack of processing power and expensive plugs?

seems like this argument has been going on for a long time... and even from the beginning only slightly intelligible..

and how about when the equipment actually does take over some day ?

6. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

TL;DR: "I want better DUHs than anything available today, and I want them 4free. These should also do dishes & take out the garbage, so Mom won't keep nagging me, interfering with my creative process."

7. black.afrika.zulu.x

YOU INSIST on addressing points that I'm not actually making, people!

Let me re-iterate:

An energetic, young person with great musical ideas CANNOT make a great beat in Ableton Live without FIRST clogging it up with third-party plugins. Without some layering and compression and resampling, etc. the drums will sound thin. This problem should not exist from the point of view of the young musician! Embertone Sensual Sax is a perfect example of how standard instruments within a DAW should work in the first place! To achieve the same thing within Ableton or FL Studio you would need a computer science degree!

WHY IS EVERYONE hearing what they want to heat????????

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

oic This world (the best of all possible worlds) has (yet again!) fallen short of your (perfectly reasonable) expectations. Ableton should be free, and come packaged with all the third-party plugins (like Kontakt & a few terabytes of libs). For free.

But not only are the best things in life not free, often they need to be bought from more than one source & require installation.

Life is hard, and hardly worth living. Somebody should do something.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

black.afrika.zulu.x please explain to me what the Fark is wrong with any kind of learning, young or old?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

@black.afrika.zulu.x Leads me to the question why do you always mention "young"? Do you think it's easier for people older than 30, 40 or 50 with their brains beginning to crumble? (peace, bros, no offense :no:)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. black.afrika.zulu.x

Bro, with all due respect, you represent the same sort of attitude I'm talking about that says: it would be unfair if a 10-year old could make a great song on his iPad because...well, it's just not right because it took me 10 years learning this clunky DIGITAL software (pretending to be analog) ... How can you make great sounding music without all this knowledge and these engineering concepts that I've been accumulating since 1820? It's not fair! You should suffer first! Don't be lazy!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Ageist >:(
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. black.afrika.zulu.x

It is wrong to tell an aspiring writer that he should first learn how to program a word processor.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  14. black.afrika.zulu.x

It is wrong to tell an aspiring writer that he should first learn how to program a word processor.

15. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Nah, I encourage you to write an app to make it possible. You'll get rich, the 10-yr.-old will make bangerz, and the musician/engineer cabal will cry hot, salty tears. A win in anyone's book. Don't understand why you haven't done it already :\
    *use a word processor. No one is telling you anything -- write with a pen, use Notepad, or ask Mom to write it 4U. The world's ur oyster!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. seriousofficial

seriousofficial Producer

...yet never before has music been so plastic, meaningless and more of the same. The 'digital warmth' of prefab stuff is lowering the standards is many ways. Music in many cases has become a means instead of an achievement and goal. It's like comparing a meal from a chef de cuisine to a dinner prepared from powders in boxes and sacks....it may appear to look the same, but it sure as hell hasn't got the same taste nor the same nutritional values to the body and soul. I do agree with you that if you know exactly what you're doing, music production has lost many gatekeepers that prevented talented musicians and songwriters from getting somewhere. The downside of it is that these days everyone thinks they've got talent. I may be mistaking but I think that's what @black.africa.zulu.x is missing here.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

So it's right to tell him to learn how to play an instrument for the next 7 - 20 years?

18. statik

statik Audiosexual

well here we have it again, some youngster who feels he has a right too big fat beats and sounds without doing the work, when everyone else knows you cant get that with making them, and when they can get a hold of something that's fat beefy and instant awesome it's not the right sound they are looking for.

it sounds like a sculptor who wants a piece of rock that's already shaped and sculpted so he can sell it with his name on it without having done a damn thing

19. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

Let's not forget that most of the reviewers of this or that new or updated plugin.. are often getting "something" for it..
    whether it be cash, discounts, gear etc.. so it becomes difficult for the "artist" or 10 year old to distiguish
    what is really essential for their production, which is actually good and fresh musical ideas... which need not only
    be expressed using a DAW and plugins....

in other words.. get your ass upstairs and practice... ( a real instrument for example )

Saw this last night.. a studied, experienced musician, interacts with a piece of musical software
    I wish all the reviews could be this honest..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2017
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  20. statik

statik Audiosexual

is it wrong to tell him he first needs to learn how to read and write?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List