Don't Blame Young People.

Discussion in 'Music' started by black.afrika.zulu.x, Nov 1, 2017.

1. black.afrika.zulu.x

black.afrika.zulu.x Platinum Record

I think young folks have some very interesting musical ideas, especially, in my genre of choice: hip-hop. But the quality of the stock synth sounds in popular DAWs (Ableton Live and Fruity Loops) is HORRID! And the learning curve is unnecessarily steep! To make a good quality beat you need to BUY and learn how to use a bunch of plugins and virtual instruments and compressors. And you need to spend the same amount of time learning to use a DAW as a doctor spends in medical school!

This should not be! You're not performing surgery after all--you're just getting a machine to play what's in your head. That's all!

In a perfect world you wouldn't need to spend years learning sidechaining and parallel compression, blah blah blah...just to get a simple musical idea across!

The fault lies with the music software--and with engineers and musicians who take themselves too seriously...insisting on all sorts of jargon and complex techniques as if they're on par with physicists...

Young people have pioneered all kinds of fresh and interesting rhythmic arrangements (boom bap, crunk, snap, trap, drill, Timbaland, The Neptunes, etc) but DAWs like Ableton and FL Studio have failed to catch up!

• Disagree x 16
    • Funny x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Interesting x 2
    • Like x 1
    • List
  3. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

We live in great times. Producing music has never been easier and more afordable.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

Congrats dood, you've pretty much missunderstood everything about mixing, composition, hip hop, and investing in a lifetime of crafting the skill.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. black.afrika.zulu.x

That's certainly true. But you need to be like a computer scientist to translate your musical ideas really well. Music software needs to be as simple as an iPhone...but musicians and engineers are against that idea. They want it to be difficult so they feel good about their "craftmanship"...

• Funny x 3
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Music production/mixing on a high level is really one of the most demanding things in the world.
    There certainly are programs that make it easy for beginners, magix, etc, but if you want to control every parameter, easy one button programs/software wont help you much.
    Once you get a handle of it you will love it, its a life long learning process like @beatmagnus said.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. black.afrika.zulu.x

Sir, I respectfully disagree. This is like a computer scientist in the 80's arguing that the general public ought to learn MS-DOS before they are allowed to have personal computers. It is understandable that nobody wants their lifelong skill to be done by just anybody...I'm sure calligraphers didn't respect typists!

I can't wait for the future when minutiae and tedium like sidechain compression will be taken care of by simple procedures and machine learning. :)

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. beatmagnus

beatmagnus Guest

Hey OP, a major part of my life was spent studying hip hop before 2000s (after which hip hop production became the same as top 40). I was just being a dick. You're right, its all about finding the right sounds and playing them in the correct groove. If you want the gritty sound pay attention to saturation etc. Compressions and such plays more of a role with hip hop though but its hard to describe in writing. Sorry man I'm a purist which sux

9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Quality music production has always been a very demanding task and you have to know a lot. That's why the terms "audio engineer" or "mastering engineer" exist and also more or less expensive schools where you learn all the "stuff" regarding production. It's a skill that you have to hone for years if not decades to get it right.

Still you can make music easily, noone is stopping you. :wink: The only thing is: the better your knowledge about it - the better the results. When you take a good look at it [DAW, plugins] it is actually easier than ever to make music, really. ;)

Don't give up! Patience pays off. :headbang:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Bill Vkerchi?

Bill Vkerchi? Kapellmeister

I can and I will.

11. TW

TW Guest

no offense - but did i get this right ? The OP is crying cause he has to learn something to make a great sound/beat/track/song what ever you call it? And he has to buy an instrument to do this? :rofl:

And than the typical electronic music guy dont get why some guitar or instrument using musicians laugh about them? :winker:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Try ̶F̶r̶u̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶L̶o̶o̶p̶s̶ FL Studio. Used and loved by ̶c̶h̶i̶l̶d̶r̶e̶n̶ producers everywhere.
    Indeed.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  13. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Yes, and I always wanted the earth to be a cube. :wink:

It's just like with every other artistry. Just a small part of all the people will reach real artistry. And if everyone is able to reach a certain level, those people will push the artistry level higher.
    These people are called artists (or musicians, painters, sculptors)

So, if you don't like to learn new things and just want your computer to do everything for you, I guess you most likely will never be and artist.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. black.afrika.zulu.x

You misunderstood me and proved my point at the same time.

15. TW

TW Guest

I think i got you - You want the super easy to use daw were you just have to sing in la la le lu and the result is a super fat sounding USA No 1 hit. You are crying that you have to learn something to creat something. You are just lazy. Sad to destroy your dreams but you got to work for everything in life. Music- Art - job - you have to learn for years man.

You wanna fat beat ...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. Willum

Willum Rock Star

I wana to write a bokk but peeps telll me i gota lern speeling and gramma and shit.

Edukation suks.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I'm afraid you did...

@black.afrika.zulu.x If you want to be good at something you have to learn it. No matter what it is. Walking, talking, reading, writing, drawing, making music of any nature or kinds and everything else. There is no short cut. Not for you or anybody else. The sooner you understand this the better.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

Come here and try to explain your Iphone to my grandma. You'll also learn something about the importance of specific vocabulary and how long it can take a person to aquire it, especially if that person resists learning that new vocabulary. :rofl:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

But first, you explain a VCR to @black.afrika.zulu.x. Good luck getting him to record a TV show on such a machine.

20. black.afrika.zulu.x

I would like all of you to re-read my original statement. I'm saying that the DAWs that are available for young people are PRIMITIVE...but you all seem to be hearing what you want to hear--inadvertently proving my point that you believe you hold some sort of expertise that places you above young people WHO HAVE BETTER musical ideas than YOU!

You are busy addressing a point I did not make. I'm not complaining about difficulty! I'm complaining about a USER INTERFACE that has nothing to do with MUSIC. Why emulate analog processes when that is not really what is happening inside your computer?

FURTHERMORE, I clearly said that it is almost pointless to use these DAWs on their own without NUMEROUS ezpensive plugins...a lot of young people with great musical ideas use these DAWs on their own without plugins and that is why they are achieving such horrible results.

STOP answering questions I did not ask!

:)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  21. Lepow

Lepow Producer

bro, you can pay 99 cents on Figure (ex Propellerhead) now it's Alihoopa, anyway, it's simple, cool, runs on iphones whatnot. - take that mcds

you can just spit your idea on any daw and pay someone to polish it for you.

and only guitarists goes like that cocky.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List