Dolby Atmos in nightclubs

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by DarthFader, Dec 23, 2015.

1. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

in this thread:
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/4dsound-a-new-dimension.14363/#post-96048
    just over a year ago, @freerider197 said,
    "4 Dimension sound, 48 speakers (instead of 5 by dolby surround 5.1)

imagine to be in the middle of the stage hearing a massive bass techno drop, you start floating in the air :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    would love to see it in many clubs :boombox::boombox:"

Wish granted, dude.
    http://www.audiomediainternational....to-the-nightclub-with-ministry-of-sound/05066

So... a new era begins for bedroom producers in tenament buildings. Bounce some beatz off your ceiling for that authentic Dolby Atmos effect and see how much dust you can blast out of your upstairs neighbour's carpets.

3. Sonar Sounds

Sonar Sounds Ultrasonic

Bout time, we're in 2015 (2016?) and clubs still play mono... :deep_facepalm:

4. Jazz-N-Stuff

Jazz-N-Stuff Platinum Record

they dont even use 5.1 on any DVD/ Blue Ray. 90% of Information is in Mono on the centerspeaker. Music in stereo L + R and some effects every now and then on the back speakers (mostly mono!). Multichannel a big hoax, ... So,why would they even mix more channels then? Just another Marketing placebo.
    If you dont believe me, just unplug the center of any Blueray Movie in DolbyDigital 5.1, and tell me how u liked the movie.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

48 speakers eeeh? what about phase?

6. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

If you're taking about spatial axes,

Stereo is 1D (width)
    Surround is 2D (width & depth)
    3D surround is 3D (width & depth & height)

the 4th dimension is time, but that usually does not count.

I have written & reviewed some literature on 3D surround, focusing on Auro, but some stuff of Atmos & DTSX.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15M6tb-BtjNR6Wf6G--N8p3ryW7VOz2XY9D2MwVFhHc4/edit
    Comparison: Spreadsheet

Sounds like you've listened to some bad/upscaled surround or turned on upscaling on your receiver.

5.1 is used on many BDs & DVDs. Dialogue is supposed to be in C, and perhaps L&R. Music is supposed to be in L&R , sometimes it's in C.

I agree that many people mix surround/multichannel quite badly.

I also agree it's been overhyped by marketing.

I analyze multichannel since 2010, mix in multichannel in 5.1 since 2012, 7.1 since 2014. I started working on a 3D surround mix (2 layers of 7.1-like) in 2015 but never finished it.

If you know 3D surround, you'll know that 3/4 of existing implementations use object-based (sound + metadata) rather than stream based (1 channel = 1 speaker), see my spreadsheet. Ambisonics exists, it's from the 70s. A rather different approach to surround.

What can you do? Find good Mch stuff to listen to. PM me if you want some good mch stuff

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  7. rickbarratt

rickbarratt Producer

Well.
    not every club has the money available to do something like this.

so of course it's mono, most don't just have 2 speakers. so mono is the best option cant be having stereo panning going on and half the building hearing something completely different to the other side.

like it or not but the majority are going to remain mono.