Does this have any chance to be in the movie or game?

Discussion in 'Film / Video Game Scoring' started by Elnur Magerramov, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Elnur Magerramov

Elnur Magerramov Kapellmeister

Hello, guys, I just wanted to show you my recent production and get your opinions, does this track actually have any chance to be in somewhere, videogame or movie.
    If yes, is there any good way to submit, besides just contact studios, composers and directors?.

• Like Like x 8
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

What would be better is if you made a bunch of these types of tracks, and afterwards worked on getting into contact with some indie film or video game developers in your area and showed them your music, expressed your interest and made stuff for them that fit the style they were looking for. Then work your way up from there and build a portfolio and a reputation.

Not easy stuff to get into unfortunately. Studios just don't randomly take tracks made by some random guy they dont know and pay them lel...

It requires more than just being able to make music at home, you have to really want to go in that direction so baad that maybe you need to leave your country, family, lifestyle, willing to travel to another place just to land a basic sound job...

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Elnur Magerramov

Nice, thank you for you reply and advices. what do you think about the track?
    I actually changed my place of living with that in mynd, now I live in Barcelona, moved here from Azerbaijan, where not only movie and game industries doesn`t exist, even music industry is very very bad :)

5. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

Can't judge the mixing right now cuz on a pair of monitors I'm not used to, but the composition sounds really good. Keep at it :wink:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Mixwise it needs a lot more low end and some more high end. I made this quick sketch, not perfect but I think you get the idea

Less phase issues would also be good.

At 0:57 I'd lower the string velocity so they sound a lot softer (too harsh now) and focus on voices and piano.

At 1:20ff I'd lower the brass, only set some accents with it and feature the strings more.

I think the string library is a bit too weak for epic music, but I like the idea and the composition and the effort.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Elnur Magerramov

Yeah, I actually only use Bass strings in one part, the rest are cello, think should bring up some of the low end on cello.
    The string library is Orchestral tools: berlin strings. Yeah, and phase issues is a problem, I`m not making orchestral music so much, its a bit hard to mix, cause almost everything is in the same freq range. but thank you for your detailed reply

8. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

How about the drums??

Oh, shit, that's surprising.

9. waverider

waverider Rock Star

I like the composition, it sounds epic, has this typical epic fantasy feel to it. As to the business and industry stuff I have no idea, but I'd tend to with Mr. Boobs or whatever his name is. Indie games are the way to go for independent musicians nowadays, and if you keep doing that for a while and deliver good quality, you can build up a reputation.

10. eli will

eli will Noisemaker

sounds good for a movie, about five different movie scenes if you cut it up.

11. Vader

Vader Platinum Record

Q: Does this have any chance to be in the movie or game?
    A: NO!!!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

The mood is very well built: simple and objective. But you need better libraries to get your music into some movie or game. That's what some people don't understand: Working with music involves both knowledge and tools that bring about the realization of a creative vision. If these two things don't work in an evenly distributed manner, there are 'gaps' that won't be fulfilled. But yes, you're on the right track... Go forth it! :shalom:

13. Spyfxmk2

Spyfxmk2 Guest

^

Hello @Elnur Magerramov :bow:
    First of all do me a favor and Do Not Listen to anyone telling you that this does not have a chance to be in a movie score or game :yes: :)
    Focus on getting close/to know some music editors in Barcelona,that work with directors (every professional director has a music editor working with him in every project) :bow:
    Keep up the good work & thanks for sharing ! :wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. kostovas

kostovas Kapellmeister

I like the composition, not over complicated.

Mix-wise I feel you have EQed-out a lot of stuff and I feel it needs more dynamics. Is it too compressed or my ears play tricks on me?
    Did you play with the midi velocity?

As it is though, I could easily see it for an Android/Iphone game where the mix is not that important. Maybe not as the main theme but it could be music triggered at specific times (places on map or character states).

15. hani king

hani king Platinum Record

you seem to have good ears on how music from video games should have ,its solid piece of music
    hearing all the orchestras/strings/bass/cinematic percussions ,its fantastic

try sending demos to indie video games companies because you never know they might looking for a music producer for their project
    and not just video games ,i m talking about commercials/tv /movies/

good luck brother elnur

16. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

Dark Fucking Vader. Show your work. And who´s babuk?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  17. Satai

Satai Rock Star

I liked it!

Your chances basically depend on getting to know the game people you would potentially enjoy working with. Any opportunity to meet them in person or online somehow, you should try to be there. And just like with girls, don't focus all your love on just one lady, be warm to them all. That way one or another will be down, and you get that much needed break.

I'll tell you what definitely isn't going to work so good too - sending your demo track to studios and expecting a response like "wow, you're hired". Just doesn't really happen, don't care if you're the next Aphex twin or Beethoven there. You have to arrange things so you can say "hey yeah I'm that guy from XYZ. Here's the demo track I mentioend, enjoy". Now if they need music done, you're "that guy I know who's good", and boom you made someone look good, look how connected he was and good at knowing the right dude for every job.

It's pretty much like that, social, and not an expert panel on the quality of your music!

That said, feel free to send me your final mix for this demo when done. I'll be happy to send you back my master for it, and I think it's going to be at least 47% more bossy and sizzly and shiver-making after I'm done. Feel free to take your time since I'm getting over flu here and won't work on it till ears are back to normal. Good luck dude!

18. Elnur Magerramov

Thank you everyone for the responses, I will rewise my mix, do some adjustments here and there, nothing drastic, but I hope it will make the tracks sound better.
    And 2NoAvenger, actually, at 1:20, there is no Brass, its only strings. It is the cello sounds like brass :)

btw, can you suggest me some good percussion libraries with just hits. not patterns like Action strikes?

19. Nana Banana

Nana Banana Guest

This is a very good Fantasy Composition! I can hear this in a high end Fantasy Game for sure. If this composition were played by an Orchestra it would even be ready for a Movie. Excellent work Elnur, your headed in the right direction ...Keep going!

20. Recoil

Recoil Guest

Don't ask, do whatever what you want, because you can :invision::hillbilly:

21. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

- compared to all the good quality stuff that is already out there made by experienced composers who need a job : no
    - compared to a lot of quality compositions that are already out there sold for peanuts on royalty-free music websites : no

BUT

try to upload it on sync music & royalty free websites, maybe it has a chance.

DON'T

try to get close to professionals when it's obvious you don't have the level required yet.
    you will waste your time, theirs, and at worst you'll be blacklisted.

try to find indie directors - or "indie" (?) game developers ( I mean, startups )
    and only if you have a good numbers of compositions to offer.

REGARDING YOUR COMPOSITION :

it's a bit "stuck", it lacks articulation and harmony.
    even for a "melodic" mood, there has to be dynamics in it.
    the drums (unless I'm wrong) are obviously hand-played, but here again, it lacks articulation and subtlety

I hope this help.
    I wish you good luck in your journey

:mates:

:bow: