Does reaper have Follow Main Pan feature like Pro Tools?

Discussion in 'Reaper' started by MaXe, Feb 12, 2019.

1. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

The question is, Does reaper have Follow Main Pan feature like Pro Tools? How should I setup one?
    For example, I have mono audio channel panned 50% to the right, now I want to send this audio to a mono reverb channel but I don't want to manually pan the reverb 50% to the right and I want the reverb follow the source signal's pan. Just like FMP in Pro Tools. Any clues?

3. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

4. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

But I don't see Follow main pan feature in this tutorial!?
    Could you explain please?

5. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Sends in reaper are post-pan, so, not needed?

6. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

For instance when my source track is 50% on the right when I send it to reverb I want my mono reverb to be 50% (balanced) on the right. But this feature is not implemented in post-pan!?

7. MaXe

MaXe Kapellmeister

Well what I want is something LIKE linking the fx channel pan to the source channel pan but the problem with this is when you send from several channels to fx channel the fx channel cannot follow the pan of several sources(Being linked as group). In pro tools such feature is called follow main pan. Isn't there anything like that in Reaper?!

The problem is reverb does not follow the send pan!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  8. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

This is a reverb problem. If your reverb is stereo, it would follow the pan.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

@MaXe Have you ever mixed anything with a real mixer? The sends don't "follow pan". The whole purpose of mixing is to mix mono [and stereo] sources to stereo output, so if you place something 50% to the right, and send a certain percentage of it into a stereo reverb on aux, it should sound more to the right, but you should hear something coming from the left, too. Does that make it more clear for you? :wink:

And yes, since sends are post pan in Reaper, like in a real mixer, you don't need any "follow pan" feature. You can put the sends pre-pan and then pan the send the way you want, though. That's there for creative purposes. e.g. when you don't want it to sound as in real life.