Does Live 9 take a long time to load your projects?

Discussion in 'Live' started by tek909, Aug 30, 2013.

1. tek909

tek909 Member

Does Live 9 x64/x86, take a long time to load your projects?

I want ask you guys if you to are also experiencing this same issue?

:snuffy:

3. Juvera

Juvera Member

It takes about 1 minute each project.

4. olson

olson Member

depends on how many plugs and sounds the project has - of course

but never takes so long, that i ask my self if i can go smoke a cigarette ;) really big projects take 20 seconds for me - but this is the maximum of maximum

ableton 9.0.4

5. smartlad

smartlad Member

This is not the first time I've heard of this..

No problems here though, even with high track count projects. I'm still on 9.0.2

6. Gnib

Gnib Producer

No such problems. There is however a bug in the filing system. EG: If you add samples folder to places, it sometimes does not index new additions correctly. Just remove them and add them again.

7. Dumb

Dumb Noisemaker

I'M HAVING THE SAME ISSUE ACTUALLY..LIVE 9.0.4 SOMETIMES CAN TAKE EVEN 5 MIN TO LOAD A PROJECT...BUT THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS WITH THE LIBRARY..EVERY TIME I LOAD IT..LIVE TAKES LIKE 10/15 MINUTES TO READ MY ENTIRE DISK...AND THAT MAKES IT SLOWER IF U WANT TO LOAD A PROJECT WHILE DOIN IT.AND MY PRINCIPAL DISK WHICH IS EXTERNAL IS CONNECTED TO MY MAC VIA USB 3.0 STRAIGHT.

8. Catnaps

Catnaps Newbie

WAY too fucking long. :snuffy:

9. iswingwood

iswingwood Kapellmeister

I load large projects with 32 or more instruments. Taks 20secs.

10. tek909

tek909 Member

Yeah, it some times takes me like 5 minutes plus when opening even the most simple of all projects. This is why I wanted to ask you guys. Thank you

Now I am having no issues thanks to the passed few updates that dealt with the indexing system. Yay! : D

11. Juvera

Juvera Member

I load 8 GB projects on x64 and takes about 20-50 seconds to load.

12. phenomboy

phenomboy Producer

It takes so long to start and open projects sometimes that i end up using version 8.4

13. Matt8115

Matt8115 Newbie

I used to wait around 10-20 minutes to load my Live projects on my laptop until I moved most of my audio files and content to an external hard drive. I also purchased CleanMyMac 2 which supposedly cleared about 60 GB from my computer. Now I wait anywhere from 1-5 minutes depending on the size of the project. I was having other issues with my laptop so I am now using an iMac desktop and it loads my Live projects almost instantaneously (it takes approximately 2-5 seconds)

If you Collect All and Save as opposed to Save Live Set it should reduce your wait time because it means that Live won't have to scan your entire disk to search for the components of your project.

It might also be practical to download malware detecting software. You may not have any malware on your computer but if you did, you probably wouldn't know about it, and if you can get rid of it, chances are that it will improve the load time. I've used Sophos Antivirus.

If these suggestions don't help, it might be a good idea to back up your disk and perform a clean boot/clean startup. You would have to re-install your software but if you get to this point it becomes a matter of prioritizing; if your priority is to have your computer running at optimal performance speed, a clean boot would be your best bet. If your priority is to keep all of your software and not have to go through the process of re-installing everything, then you might just have to deal with the wait time. Hopefully you can resolve the issue before you have to contemplate this.

14. m2314

m2314 Member

My projects used to take forever to load up, then I got an SSD for my OS and apps. Now all of my old projects load within a minute, and only that slowly because the actual project data is on an external Firewire drive. If projects are taking forever to load I would look at the hard drive first, and see if it might be failing, after that I would suspect the memory, its probably not the actual program itself thats causing the long load times.

15. Alpha0ne

Alpha0ne Producer

I sit on a PC which has Core2Duo E8400 CPU with 4GB of ram and a HD3870 512MB GK. I have a ST3250410AS and an SAMSUNG HD502HJ harddisk.
    If i load a project with average 5-10 tracks it needs 20sec-1 minute to load. Depends on the instrumentloadingtimes. If i use Kontakt or other samplebased instruments it uses longer to load. But some synths also take their time to load. Look if you installed and deinstalled a lot in the near past and try to defrag you disk. Check you defragmentationlevel. Also check the way you can make AL9-programm start-up-time faster. For me and other it worked.

read HEREhow you can do it.

cheers.

16. speedees

speedees Newbie

I was facing the same problem but then I cleaned my project file using abletons file management and the projects now loads much faster

Here is the video in case you are not aware of this feature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS5syP_Iqw4

17. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Newbie

It usually depends on the project, but it will take about 1 minute to load up on my system. It really doesn't bother me that much. For those with a 5 minute wait time...................WTF???? Hopefully its some sort of bug they can get rid of in the coming updates. Oh yeah, I'm running 9.0.5 in 64bit.

18. vst mama

vst mama Member

...it takes about 10-15 seconds to load. (no matter how big/complicated)

WIN x64
    6x Intelcore i7 3930K
    64 GB RAM

19. hfeuhfz7342hf724

hfeuhfz7342hf724 Noisemaker

Depends on your understanding of "long" of course.

One thing for sure is that Live 9 loads much slower than for example Photoshop or Firefox on my machine - I'm on Win7 with my whole system on a 500 GB SSD - and it seems that L9 is the only program which despite the SDD takes a lot of time to load.

With projects it is even worse - but of course, if you use Kontakt/Omnisphere/Nexus etc., they have to load their respective samples as well.

VSTs tend to load with different speed - Sylenth loads incredible fast, while Zebra or Massive take their time (Zebra takes long because it has to load all it's GUI elements which are small grafic files.)

I don't even want to image how long it would take if I would be on a normal slow HD.

First step to take into consideration would be to deactive/get rid of your virus scanner which can slow down a system a lot (by scanning the currently starting exe every time).

20. FellIVTheFake

FellIVTheFake Noisemaker

i recently had this problem. i restarted my Computer and it still did it then it randomly stopped after a minute or two :dunno:

21. tek909

tek909 Member

Well Last night, I ran a Disk defrag hopefully I see some improvement.

My computer isn't brand new, I have a old first generation i5 processor. I believe my hard drive cache is only supported up to 6 gigs.
    My motherboard also only will support up to that size cache. So, I am also wondering if that may be an issue.

But besides from that I can still upgrade my computers ram from 4 gig of ram to 16 gigs or ram. That upgrade, I know will do wonders for me and my machine now that I am running some 64x os stuff.

Thanks for all of your help and input guys!

:hug: