Does jitter free midi keyboard exist?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by dingoday, Jan 7, 2020.

1. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Haha, I experienced this too. No clue how this is possible. I just move the notes and good. Since I edit my notes afterwards anyway, it's not much of a problem for me.

2. Moms_little_pirate

Moms_little_pirate Kapellmeister

Excuse #935 to not finish songs. I'll add it to my list right after #934 - "My dog ate my DAW".

3. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

excuse #1 to explain why my playing sucks lol

4. dingoday

dingoday Member

I propably know why but its too late now for me to test. Stay tuned for the answer tomorrow

5. Citrik Acid

Citrik Acid Platinum Record

I understand what you mean, in fact for me it's a limitation of computer ,this latency is a part of making music with computer, you can have 1ms of latency with 16 samples of buffers it will be the same, there always latency, always. Quantizing is not a bad thing when is not over used, just a little bit like 25% to compensate latency and musician playing hability. There are a little part of random thing happening in computer, don't forget computer are made by human who use physics and these kind of stuff to make computer, so to answer your question, I don't know midi keyboard or interface who can handle "jitter" (inconsistent latency) and to be honest I don't whant because computers are enough "robotic" if I can say like this, I want to keep these imperfections bro' =)

6. dingoday

dingoday Member

Yeah buddy i know all of this that you said and i still think its a big thing.

Quantizing has its uses but there is no way to solve this problem with it . Best ideas so far has been to keep jitter as small as possible by using pci card and midi connections instead of usb. I actually got some ideas that can solve parts of this original problem in my case but its clear that not everything can be solved when working with pc and notation. Which is sad because pc are very capable today

7. Lock it down

Lock it down Ultrasonic

We MIDI music connoisseurs listen only to serious MIDI instrumentalists: discriminating professionals who know a few ms of MIDI jitter is the difference between quality MIDI bangaz and shitcloud dreck. Up your game, my dude, stop playing Guitar Hero and level up to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI#MIDI_2.0 on a hard real-time OS :wink:

8. JudoLudo

JudoLudo Kapellmeister

only 1 keyboard supporting MIDI 2.0 today