Does iZotope use Melodyne pitch tech?

Discussion in 'Software' started by nopenopeaudio, Jan 3, 2023.

1. nopenopeaudio

nopenopeaudio Ultrasonic

Nectar 3 is bundled with Melodyne, so I don't think it's too out of the realm of possibility to believe that iZotope also partnered with Melodyne to develop their pitch correction module, but I can't find any hard facts on this. I only started wondering because, to me, iZotope's pitch processing sounds oddly similar to Melodyne.
    I'm not even sure if Melodyne licenses their tech...so again, just wondering if anyone has any additional info on this.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Dan Fuerth

Dan Fuerth Kapellmeister

4. nopenopeaudio

nopenopeaudio Ultrasonic

5. vuuru_keg

vuuru_keg Platinum Record

interesting question, while i dont have any info for sure to help you, i do know alot of companies that do pitch related stuff are mostly implementing code/processing by zPlane, as they license their technology to partners as far as i know, FL Studio uses their algorithms for their sample streching stuff, and not too long ago i saw some other company use them but i cant remember which one, i think it was Antares with Auto-Key

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Interesting. In the thread about best vocoder/harmonizer there's more opinions on vocoders than harmonizers.
    But there's a very good post that says Nectar has a better harmonizer than Antares. Although perhaps is Antares decision, to apply some its characteristic effect. But there's that...

In any case, ZPlane's Elastique algorithm is kind of the father of pitch-shifting algorithms. But here we have also to consider the patents expiration dates.

For instance, I'm making this up but Reaper has two or three variants, say Elastique and Elastique 2, in its settings for pitch shifting.
    Perhaps ZPlane's using their latest version Elastique 4 in their stuff. And Antares and (Celemony) Melodyne perhaps have its own refined variant of the Elastique 2. Or they just pay big money to ZPlane for using their best algorithm.

Oh boy how many perhaps, I'll see myself out... :rofl:

7. jarredou

jarredou Producer

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Wow, what a list.
    Off the top of my head that only leaves out precisely Antares, Celemony and iZotope. Of the big companies using advanced pitch-shifting.

9. nopenopeaudio

nopenopeaudio Ultrasonic

Yep it's usually Zplane for most algorithms, but iZotope doesn't use that.
    Pitch shifting technology itself is pretty difficult to make from scratch. Pitch correction is on a whole other level, and then vocoders combine all that with even more advanced manipulation. I suppose when I look at it from the perspective of VocalSynth coming first and then Nectar's pitch correction then it makes more sense. I suppose iZotope just developed their own tech during the creation of VocalSynth.
    Personally, I think it sounds nicer than Zplane. Not that Zplane is bad or anything!

10. Dan Fuerth

Dan Fuerth Kapellmeister

1. Instructions for redeeming your Melodyne 5 essential redemption code
      1. Activate your iZotope products
        If you haven’t activated Nectar 3, please do so before moving to step 2.

To activate Nectar 3 first, download iZotope Product Portal here.

Then click the + symbol, add your serial number, and follow the on-screen prompts.

2. Redeem your serial number
        Use the same email address that you used to activate your copy of Nectar 3 in the form below to get your serial number. After getting your serial number, use the link in step 3 to register, authorize, and install your copy of Melodyne 5 essential.

Email used to register:
    2. Get your goodies
      Use your Melodyne 5 essential serial number here to register, authorize, and install your copy of Melodyne from the Celemony website: Register, Authorize, and Install at celemony.com/nectar
    That is on the Izotope Website, they are cross licensing with Melodyne this tells you all you need to know for the upcoming versions of Nectar, notice the cross license is only for Melodyne v5 essential. This is so that any cross licensing deal will not affect the top tier versions to keep the top versions as "Pro" only which means "Pro" only pricing.

11. jarredou

jarredou Producer

I've read somewhere that iZotope used deep learning and neural networks to make VocalSynth. Not sure if it was for the picth detection and pitch correction thing. And not sure it is used also in Nectar, but there are already some "AI" projects in this domain, for example: https://saige.sice.indiana.edu/research-projects/deep-autotuner/

12. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

I would mail iZotope support and ask directly

13. nopenopeaudio

nopenopeaudio Ultrasonic

My question is not if Celemony would partner with companies to bundle their products, but if they would License their pitch technology for use in other products, that being iZotope nectar pitch correction.
    I literally stated that they bundled melodyne with nectar. I was never confused about that aspect.

14. dia manu

dia manu Producer

Spectral Design enters the chat

Time Bandit (1990)

15. Lorrislehorse

Lorrislehorse Ultrasonic

Why Orchestra tools is in that list? i though they only made Kontakt Libraries

EDIT:Nevrmind i just noticed they have a rompler called sinefactory it's probably that

16. jarredou

jarredou Producer

Elastique Pitch is also part of Kontakt's integrated DSP. I guess they could also use it to prepare their sample libraries on their side (it wouldn't be a big surprise with all phrase-based instruments).