Does it need to be mastered?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by KatlarOregon, Mar 7, 2017.

1. KatlarOregon

KatlarOregon Noisemaker

Hey guys :)

longtime lurker here!
    I have a question about a track I wrote the last couple of months. I know the music in this forum is more about beats and electro, but I need your help with an action-trailer-soundtrack.

I need to send this beast to a Movieproducer, who asked me to do some work for a trailer and if it's good enough, he will see if I get the chance to score the whole movie! :woot:

Now I have this song and my partner who is doing the Mixing and Mastering for me is to honeymoon and I can't reach him and did a bit mixing on my own. Now my question:

Does this track need a real master or is the quality at least acceptable? I have heard it about 1000 times and can't tell anymore if the sound is okay or to bad :dunno:
    TRACK:
    (as I said: Trailerscore, with a short intro with a speech about war)
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwM7r-v5Z19_X2wyTHJza3ExQW8

Thanks to everyone :)
    and of course I would like to know what you guys think about the track itself :)

btw: if this track gets accepted, it will be mastered by a professional at their production-studio, but until then I have to get the quality as good as possible on my own, to look handsome.
    btw2.0: I'm from germany and sorry if my gramatik is as bad as I think it is :)

3. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

Do not master it if the track is going to be mastered by a pro.

I like the composition but on my HiFi it lacks depth

4. Bill Vkerchi?

Bill Vkerchi? Kapellmeister

I think the mix isn't muddy and it is well balanced, but yeah, sounds a bit flat and sound fidelity isn't quite up to pro standards. I certainly wouldn't mind some compression pumping some of that flatness out. Really like the score, though. Good luck with the movie deal!

5. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Rhodes and Bill are both right. The mix is where its at for your situation. Imho, in general you need different combinations of larger realistic spaces in most channels, better eq+some upward compression (expansion) in some channels, and the timpanis/drums need to sound even more pompous and significant (if this makes any sense). Your music is very good and well thought out, it's just the mix is not very exciting.

6. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

sounds good to me

7. tooloud

tooloud Guest

Are you getting paid for this? If so yes, get it mastered.
    If you are not. Leave it, it's not that bad.

8. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

its pretty good always keep a spectrum analyzer on your master fader in realtime than alternate with your reference tracks while using your ears it can solve that problem