Does it exist: Eq that equilizes dynamicaly only certain harmonic?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by 23322332, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Nightmix

Nightmix Producer

Tooloud, that appears to be a harmonics generation / saturation type of device & plugin, not an EQ. ;)

2. tooloud

tooloud Guest

Have you used it? Have you heard what it can do? I own it and I can tell you it can shape harmonic frequencies in the way that I believe the OP's question referred to. So yes, if used correctly it acts as a harmonic attenuator or booster and it does affect the tonal spectrum. Note the sweepable 2nd and 3rd harmonic bands.

3. Nightmix

Nightmix Producer

You're right, I haven't used VSM-3, so I'm not sure if it automatically tracks and reduces/boosts groups of harmonics, like this:

OP asked if an EQ exists that dynamically (which I take to mean automatically) EQ's only certain harmonics. That to me sounds like what SurferEQ does exactly. Maybe we have different idea of what "harmonic" means. ;)

Because I haven't used VSM-3 I don't know if it can do the same thing as SurferEQ, but if it does, then I guess that would work as well, if that is what the OP is after. (From reading the web page the VSM-3 seems to be described more like a saturator.)

4. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

Thank you for the answers, I'm messing with just intonation microtuning, not really after fixing problematic recordings, but after shaping the timbre to work with the scale. One of the ways to this is to use fm or additive synthesis to create such sounds, the other should be to eq the retuned 12et sounds. The second technique should be also decent for making the extended jazz chords more consonant by reducing the level of conflicting overtones.