Does cracked software affect final sound?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by freerider197, Sep 3, 2014.

1. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

What if:
    Render -> Play (using best an best quality player/editor/DAW/...) -> Record in free wave-editor with best audio recording quality with option "Record what you hear" -> Save as...

So, you record only audio of your render getting only audio without metadata

2. Vader

Vader Platinum Record

Does stupidity pay taxes now? Because, if not, they should charge it!

3. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

4. exodus

exodus Newbie

Just so you guys know, metadata is just plain text in the file, like mp3 tags. For the purposes of this thread I'll call those text watermarks.

Audio watermarks, as in Cinavia, is a whole other game where the audio output has some almost imperceptible processing done to it. For example, time/phase-modulating the audio in a special way, while making sure that stuff can't be destroyed easily through re-processing. In that modulation, you can encode small amounts of information and if the developer has the original untouched audio, he could use his decoder on it to extract this info. This can be done with Kontakt Libraries as long as the developer keeps the originals somewhere safe, or this is all moot.
    Here's one of the solutions devised by developers of a ripping software to thwart Cinavia when its use first became mainstream. It's an interesting read to understand what game is being played: http://www.dvd2hd.com/_dl/cinex_wp_release1.pdf

Problem is, there is no way to do that in a plugin without being perceptible by attentive and thorough crackers checking the code. Messing with the audio is moot, because the code to do so would be right under the cracker's nose, who only needs mutliple copies and suspicion to do a quick compare. Watermarks in the bits themselves (or the compiler using different methods for each copy) is bound to fail for the same reason, though removing this might be a bit longer. In the plugin context, audio watermark is dead on arrival. But then again, someone could prove me wrong one of these days ;)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  5. ceanganb

ceanganb Ultrasonic

I did not revive the topic, Mr., just saw it and found it funny, reminds me of the never ending ´which DAW sounds best´ debates. Didn't notice the original post date, but thanks for your useless comment as well.

6. foster911

foster911 Guest

A simple Watermarking Audio

7. freerider197

freerider197 Noisemaker

@saves actually I was referring to those who make fun of legit questions, instead of adding some infos about it....