Does cracked software affect final sound?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by freerider197, Sep 3, 2014.

1. freerider197

freerider197 Noisemaker

Does cracked Ableton live made different sound when exporting ?
    Someone told me that you can found if a sound were made by a cracked software, simply opening the .wav file on the notepad or textedit app. Is it true?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  3. zero-frag

zero-frag Producer

Some software developpers put something in the code called a "watermark" which is a sound you can't hear (it's outside the frequency range perceivable by humans but is relatively immune to compression/distortion). This waterlark is unique for each buyer of the product.
    Before you wet your pants, two things to know:
    - I believe the crack teams do get rid of these before publishing software (otherwise the original buyer could run into some issues)
    - Also, unless you make it pretty big (hence you can afford to buy all the stuff) there's no reason why they'd come after you. They don't have time to scan every file on every soundcloud.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. copylefter

copylefter Producer

In one word? NO *no*
    Audio watermarking exist but is not used by pro-audio developers, plug-ins and daws.
    The only thing that can sound different in a cracked plug is some devs that use custom/time bombs,
    i.e. U-He synths going out of tune when they detect a cracked version is being run.
    Other than this particular case, no way it can sound different. Period.
    :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. freerider197

freerider197 Noisemaker

thanks for the replies, but i wasn't scared of the developer team (ableton-NI-waves etc.) :dunno: it was just a quality question issue. I read on the Ableton Live forum (official ableton forum) in which someone found that with a cracked Live the sounds was warmer than the official version, and after purchasing the original one i came back to the cracked.
    Maybe a bit too much :rofl: :rofl:

6. rudym13

rudym13 Kapellmeister

thats pretty strange my friend ^^ haha I doubt any developer would implement a desirable sounding indicator to a cracked DAW, but I digress :bleh:

7. lukie

lukie Newbie

If they can put meta data in jpegs and Id3 tags in mp3's it would not surprise me.
    because when you beak it down any digital file its all ones and zeros :dunno:

8. uber909

uber909 Member

I can feel the heat already... :rofl:

9. copylefter

copylefter Producer

What? I always code some modeled analog saturation in my plug-ins, that's why they sound warmer than the legit ones, you didn't know? :rofl:

10. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

The Simple Answer Is Yes

On April the 1st and at Halloween​

:wow:

11. happyshoppa22

happyshoppa22 Newbie

Actually, you all joke about this but there may be something to it.

Avicii used cracked software to make Animals, and that sounds fucking terrible.

12. d32r

d32r Member

Wow....Martin Garix is a cracked bot controlled by Avicii? :D

But yes it sounds terrible i agree :D

13. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

It does exist unfortunately...Tone2. *yes*

Not only did they once employ malware methods their stuff is supposedly watermarked. I don't know if DOA removes them or not.

If you're making a decent living then you should buy your DAW and start making good on supporting the devs. Even a small purchase here or there can make a real difference. And to answer your question: no you can't. At least not at the moment, who knows what some idiot will think of next.

14. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

I don't believe it.
    First. If your VST plugins insert watermark sound - just try to put it on the cleanest 1kHz sine (I have one - 32 bit with no distortions, just original 32-bit noise - lower than minus 180 dB), and if you see no distortion on spectrum analyzer(s) after rendering - maybe there are no watermark distortion. Because the sine is clean (it possible on 64-bit double precision processing, but 32-bit processing of any plugins gives distortions (as I noticed) but distortions of these kind of plugins are similar - it's just processing, not watermark).
    Create channel with a VSTi synth with their watermarks and create a sine oscillator - do you see any sh*t with this sine?

Second. If sonic watermarks are not in sound (it can be in data when you render, in a re-rendered/resaved audio, etc.), I just re-record master track. PLAY a file and RECORD only "what you hear" (in same sample-rates/bit depth), but record it in very cool editors with no distortions/aliasings etc, switch off any ''input channels'' to record without ADC noises etc. You will record a sound only, I think, any non-sonic watermarked data shouldn't be recorded with sound. I think it works. Then top SRC conversion, dithering, save in format (it is optional, it only depends on your format(s), preferences, views, religion etc.).

IMHO)))) Maybe it helps

• List
  15. audioplg

audioplg Ultrasonic

the reference to opening a file in note pad and telling if cracked software has been used is from windows xp system sounds that where done in a craked version of soundforge and had Deepz0ne in the meta data of the wav files

16. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

I think "audioplg" is right. It is a reference to this XP accident, and so, like "Lukie" said, related to metadata.

Be careful with them, because almost ALL softwares embed infos related to owner (ex : R2R :rofl:) , software used and more.
    Check those metadatas before publishing online.

On the other side, some well known producers got caught using warez on official Computer Music videos and tutorials...and they never got an additional *sshole :wink:

Care more about your spiritual way of making music than being caught in the act :wink: :mates:

17. abhinavjoshua

abhinavjoshua Noisemaker

Yes, I could feel that! Even the WinRAR sounds warmer! :rofl:

18. DeepStar

DeepStar Member

Should rename it to WarmRAR then!

19. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

it can effect your final sound, because when you buy it, you value it more and spend more time with it and this results in better production quality of your end mixdown. :rofl:

DOA is buy release group only, they supply untouced setups with serials. most of the time used stolen credit cards like for the Uhe plugin pack in 2012.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

I know, that's why they picked the name DOA because the serial is dead on arrival. I was just wondering if they removed watermarks because otherwise it still has someone else's name in your tracks and that's not good.

21. copylefter

copylefter Producer

Yeah Cat, the poor Gunter Raler will finally take his revenge and claim copyright on a chart topping hit made with DOA u-he's :lmao: