Does anyone use sidechained parallel compresion?

Discussion in 'Live' started by davpat, May 24, 2013.

1. davpat

davpat Newbie

hii buddies
    ive just noticed the importance of this trick theres a few ways of doing so.and whats the best way to do to make the kick pull through
    and for al the other instruments to duck slitghly every time theres a kick is that the gest of it?
    im making techno theres a video in youtube but there songs difreent to my tastes so thtas way im asking the questin of leting the kick pull through and instruments ducking

heres the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4h5eKuOFKQ

3. muaB

muaB Producer

first of all you should work on your writing :D

and secondly it is not recommended to let all your stuff being ducked by one sidechain (unless you want to use it as crazy effect like the guy in the video)
    but to have multiple sidechaincomps that duck tracks individually bacause you probably don´t want the same ducking amount on all your tracks.
    simply select a KIk or something similar as trigger and use a sidechaincomp on the tracks you want- and dial ratio and release and so on to taste.

hope it helps a bit!

4. davpat

davpat Newbie

hahah sorry ive lived in spain all my life. and how can i achieve that. shpuld i do the same thing the guy on the video is doing or not?
    for techno sound whats the common parallel compression. is there any videos about so i can see what you meen. thanx again for the tip

5. Catnaps

Catnaps Newbie

Have dedicated channel sidechaining everything. On a blank midi channel drag on a drum rack and load up a sample (Kick)> set the drum rack channel to "sends only" from the ins and outs sections so you won't actually hear the kick but it will still registering to your sends. You can press play and see it bouncing away and not hear anything, that is what you want. You can name the track SC and have it playing in the background when you need shit pumping. The live 8 compressor, as opposed to the new compressor in 9 is supposedly best for sidechaining but the new one still does the job just fine. You can lower the threshold and adjust the attack and release to your taste. This will also teach you the importance of bus sends if you don't already know :rofl: Remember you just want a pumping effect, there are several ways to achieve this :wink:

6. davpat

davpat Newbie

Ok thanx for the advice catnaps . yes i know what you mean ive donde that before sidechaining. but so i can understand better paralell comopresion is it just multiple instruments sidechained to a silent kick??

7. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Well how about this?
    I think it is about 70% of ALL people who visit THIS site that DONT have english as their native language..
    If you DONT underrstand plz dont comment.
    I hate when people do that THIS is not a learn to write proper SCHOOL

8. xsze

xsze Guest

No, this is parallel compression, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_compression

The process shown in that video is just how to side chain everything you want using return buss-es, there is other ways to obtain this process just having compressor on the channel you want to affect and trigger from whatever the source you want, your kick/snare/hat, ghost kick/snare/hat(without output) or buss that is receiving signal from some source, nothing is wrong and every one of them have their pros&cons, but it's not called parallel compression, it's just side chain compression, only in situation when you are mixing sidechained version with original, than it's parallel compression, but that's not the case *no* :wink:

9. davpat

davpat Newbie

hahah me too its real easy to be funny when when no one can see ya

10. davpat

davpat Newbie

why isnt my thanx beeing registerd?? ok thanx buddy . but how confusing i understand sidechainin is to make an instrument duck on the kick.
    but whats parallel compression for why do u want to mix one signal with the other. ill take a look of the link now.
    so whats common for house and techno inserting a compressor to the return and route all the instruments to there and so on. ive never done it before
    but ill have a go now(so thats like multiple sidechian huu)becausei dond understand the parralel one yet then :( and ive red and red and red

11. xsze

xsze Guest

Don't knock your head with parallel compression, it's not really an essential or important process, just way to enhance your mix, nothing more :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-K-Slp6jQo

On other hand side chain compression is pretty standard in EDM, it's used all the time so get your grip on that subject and leave parallel when you are ready to take your knowledge further :wink:

p.s the link posted is random it's live and it's parallel compression, can't vouch for it, can't say I watched it either :wink:

12. I achieved better results with parallel compression following this tutorial.. Hope it can help you too! :drummer:

(some members report that provided link contains malware)

13. davpat

davpat Newbie

okk thanx budd ill give it a go and see :) u meen the new york compression with eq cutting the middle and boosting losw ends an highs?

14. kind of.. this one tends to push the drums to limit like an' "old hip hop record".. then you can blend the signal as you want..

15. Catnaps

Catnaps Newbie

Indeed a silent and single kick sample, you can even you a hat if you want. Ideally, you will want to use a sound with a fast attack and release (try not to use a kick with a lot of sub)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEfeh0bQ504[/youtube]
    Mr. Guetta talks a bit about his sidechaining technique, there are several ways sometimes I use a gate instead of a compressor. Definitely not a big fan of David Guetta but take what you can from it.

Parallel compression is great for drums btw.

Edit: Is the code to embedd youtube "[youtube] link [/youtube]"? Only works sometimes for me :dunno:

For house music or any subgenre for the most part you will always be working with samples. Since we aren't playing instruments in the "traditional way" most people who don't understand the genre may not know the "proper" advice to give (if there was proper advice). We all work with the same tools but accomplish different sound with different combinations and obviously different skills to use them. :bow:

Always keep in mind in most situations less is more. But you will probably sidechain most of your tracks (shakers, hats, lead, bass ect.) :wink:

16. davpat

davpat Newbie

ohh nice one ive just finished watching it and ive certainly picked up a few tips. its not my type of music either but the rest of the videos of his or definitly
    worth watching

ive spent all day tring to multi side chain compresion(thats how i call it) by using the sends. ive been all day watching the first video and i dint seem to get any notable results.

until the second video DUALTEC he explains of important it is to do this and ive just managed to start noticing some results, on the first video i think the guy is making things to complicated at least for me.

so this is what ive done just duplicated one of my kicks as send only added a compressor sidechained it to a return b. and send thing to this return b.

and one more thing(sorry for being such a pain haha) but after doing this would it be to much to then do paralell compresion. or is that just to much things going on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4h5eKuOFKQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmBI5nmqkug