does anyone use Izotope Tonal balance?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by petrrr, Aug 2, 2022.

1. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

does anyone use Izotope Tonal balance?

do you find it helps u a lot?

also my main question is, is this plugin meant to check mainly the chorus of the song where all the instruments play at the same time?

3. Groov3

Groov3 Member

I've already used it, it does what is suposed to do and allows you to create your own curves from any reference track or folder of reference tracks. Just have in mind that having similar tonal balance doesn't garantee that your song will sound as good as reference, for exemple you can have two songs with similar tonal balance and one is muddy and the other isn't. It helps you in the mixing process, if you mix in a untreated room or in headphones, or if year ears are not trained enougth, but it's just a part of more complex process.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  4. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

Yes, but not only. It's for the entire song.

5. petrrr

petrrr Kapellmeister

for examples you have sections where you remove the bass..or the drums.......or other instrumentation

in those cases i don't think you can use it that much?

6. starkid84

starkid84 Producer

I use tonal balance on every mix. As a reference tool, its fantastic at giving you visual cue is to see if there are issues with the overall frequency balance of your mix, especially when mixing according to the standards established in popular music genres.

This can be especially useful for people who are not in a acoustically treated space, where bass (or other frequencies) are not properly represented in the room.

In general it tends to be most useful when reviewing the parts of the song with all elements of the mix playing at once, as missing tracks or instruments can create a hole in the frequency spectrum of you mix.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  7. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Producer

I use it with my selfmade curves from albums I find extremely well sounding. It's a god sent when I am not really sure if I can hear the balance or not, for when I have "Blumenkohlohren" (german slur for you don't know if what you hear is what is going on). Tonal Balance can easily set the record straight. Of course if you have a banjo-intro for a Slipknot-like metal song it's not really of any use for the intro. Should be clear without extra mentioning.

8. Ryck

Ryck Guest

I have used it several times, but I don't like it as a reference, there are many better ones that perform the same function

9. Bingo

Bingo Member

Aha! Which ones?

10. Ryck

Ryck Guest

master the mix "reference" comes to mind now. Although as a reference I use Fabfilter 3 loading some eq and looking at the spectrum analyzer

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

I love Tonal Balance especially when your in a room that hasn't been treated.

12. Groov3

Groov3 Member

Another great advantage of Mastering The Mix Reference is the stereo width graphic that shows you how wide the audio is across the entire frequency range of either the original track you’re working on or your reference. Very useful to help you get the same stereo wideness profile as your reference reference track.

13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

it's a very basic utility for those who are clueless about sound balance imo, may be handy for untreated rooms or guests working in rented studios they aren't familiar with,

that said though, I think it's more useful to have actual reference song you're aiming to, and make proper EQ referencing, which can be achieved with various plugins as well
    :chilling: