Does anyone own an original Roland TR-909

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by StormChaser, May 20, 2024.

1. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

Listening to the second example from his album I dont really hear reverb on the sounds but I will certainly give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestion.

2. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

I never got to see Erasure back in the day, I had tickets once but ended up not being able to go which I often think about. The Innocents is one of my top 10 fav albums.

3. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

I do still have my old 1604 somewhere in the loft, thanks for the suggestion.

4. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

ok sir now you have my attention... so this example is the original sounds and then what you have created have I got that right?

Its certainly very very close, closer than I have ever gotten. I wonder why it cant be done on just a 909 clone really baffles me.

But would love to try and copy your process, sounds fab.

Thank you so so much for taking time out of your day to do this and replying back to me.

5. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

This is why I have not purchased one as of yet. I have always thought how would I get it repaired should something go wrong.

They are like gold dust as it is but trying to find one thats not battered and scratched to hell is even harder, BUT if I was 100% certain I could reproduce this on an original TR-909 without needing anything else I would role the dice and take a chance.

As crazy as it sounds I know it just a sample or a sound but I have loved this sound since I was literally 19 years old it would be worth every penny for me to finally tick this off my bucket list.

6. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

I have one, circuit bent by yours truly. You do not need to buy an original one. any emulation or clone will work. as others have mentioned, its not just about the 909, there is some saturation / clipping going on here, as well as some reverb / slapback or something going on.

7. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

I am just messing with Drumazon 2 which I purchased earlier and is sounding kind of ok so far, I did add a little reverb to the ClosedHH and can see what people are saying for sure.

I will post an audio example of what I have created from it once I have tinkered a little more.

8. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

This is what I have come up with using my new Drumazon 2

Its by no means perfect or identical but its the closest I have gotten so far.

I added a little reverb to the ClosedHH.

Attached Files:

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

bounce the pattern with the hi hat muted, then bounce it with only the hi hat solo'd. so you have two channels of audio. I would skip using a compressor and go to some combination of a saturation plugin and a limiter or even a clipper. Logic has a stock overdrive plugin that I might even throw at it. I would even take a recording that you like, stem separate it, isolate the hat and maybe throw it into Visco or something. If my option was to make that hat or spend a hundred bucks, I'd figure it out. If you have ADPTR Metric A/B plugin, I would try using it to get it even closer.

Those D16 plugins are really nice.

10. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

Some very interesting suggestions I will see what I have got and further have a play around.

11. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

One thing for sure which I think a couple of people mentioned and thats once you add other musical elements to the mix the drums take on a completely different sound when mixed in with the other musical elements aposed to just playing the beat on its own.

I have just put together a couple of tracks with the drums and I have to say I am smiling..... alot :)

12. clone

clone Audiosexual

Did you get the entire D16 bundle? I had used them before but never thought all that much about them. Well, Decimort. But I think they did some serious improvement to them. Tekturon is nice, Nepheton 2 is a nice 808 clone. Lush was always good, but v2 is great SH-101 clone. Sigmond 2. Not a bad plugin in the bundle. Go-to level stuff if you are making techno.

13. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

I had 2 x 909's an 808, 707, Cr78 & a 303...
    The 2 909's had a slightly different sound, specifically the hatz in that one was bity with hasher tops (harmonic distortion)
    The Adamski & Rolo stuff of the era was heavily processed (EQ & Compression) plus there is a good chance the 909's were modded.
    Also there is a huge chance that the sound you think you heard coming from a 909 was probably coming from a dat backing track or a sampler (usually an Akai but he had an arsenal of gear)
    Your problem is more about production and you should be able to recreate the same sound using the gear you have.

14. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

I was originaly only going to get the Drumazon 2 but when I saw all the other plugins they did the 808, 606 and the Lush2 synth and the effects I decided to buy the Total bundle. Havent tried the other plugins yet just been messing with the Drumazon 2. The more I jam to the beat the better it sounds. It will certainly do for me.

15. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

WOW you had all the big boy players. Please tell me you still have them :)

Adamski's TR-909 wasnt modded as I sent him a message on twitter some time ago and he was kind enough to reply. I put his reply at the beginning on my post.

All the drums from the live set and the album were direct from the TR-909 stock and no other samples were used.

I know he had a Casio FZ10M sampler on stage with him but it was only ever used for two sounds a Piano and a String Pad according to an interview he did back in 1990.

16. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

So I put a couple of basic tracks together nothing special at all just to hear the created Adamski drum beat from Drumazon 2 with some other instrument elements.

I really dig the sound of the drums its definately the closest I have ever gotten to the real thing, I am totally made up.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply and all the suggestions, I will keep tweaking at it trying different things over the next few nights.

I had to convert to MP3 as the WAV was to big to upload.

Last edited: May 22, 2024

Attached Files:

17. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I hope that this can help in lieu of finding the hardware in getting even closer to that sound... and churning up the zizzzzzz

Airwindows Mackity attempts to capture that crunch of an old Mackie 1202 (pre VLZ) clipping. Chris also does it's EQ with the MackEQ plugin.

https://www.airwindows.com/mackity/

https://www.airwindows.com/mackeq/

18. StormChaser

StormChaser Producer

Thanks for this sounds really interesting indeed :)