Does anyone make techno or house music in Studio One?

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by Bunford, Sep 25, 2023.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

At the moment I am using Ableton to make 4/4 electronic stuff and Studio One to make more live recorded indie/ambient/rock stuff as well as to do any mastering. I was using Cubase but was getting too many crashes and am enjoying Studio One. In fact, I'm enjoying it so much that I contemplating migrating everything over to Studio One to be my sole DAW. Just wondering if there's any hidden limitations and such anyone has come across or any reasons why people who have tried both still prefer Ableton for these types of music?

I'm also contemplating picking up the Atom and Atom SQ (to go alongside the Faderport I already own) for a hands-on, PreSonus eco system. Does anyone use either of these devices and got any experience or views on them?

3. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

Studio One developers are actually the guys that left Steinberg. Crashes in Cubase are usually caused by a plugin.

Studio One is great for any style of music but it also has it's issues just like any other DAW.

4. Nefarai

Nefarai Ultrasonic

Interestingly enough, I moved over to Ableton from FL Studio because of the audio warping function that Ableton has. I was doing a lot of recording of audio/vocals and needed better timestretching abilites than FL Studio offers.

At one point I was warping audio in Ableton and exporting the stuff to use in FL, but I figured why bother with all that and made the switch.

5. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

hi, studio one user here.
    im finding troubles to make a techno rumble, thats all, for the rest, its imo the best daw, S1. Check the limitation between version Artist and Professional,... either way u know theres a sister site ♥
    So, the techno rumble, in ableton its very easy if u have the DRUMBUSS ( a plugin ) which i know its a sum of distorsion, limiting and something more that i cant not understand... but u put that to your rumble and its very very the final sound done...
    but in studio one every time i want to replicate this, i cant... i dont know how to make a rumble in studio one like a decent one u know? with some punch and strong subs... for the rest? i do groove metal too and indie sometimes... rock national too.. so i really believe studio one its the best...

EDIT: oh the atom controllers, yeeee if u can buy it go for it ! for me im selling my arturia things and tryna get a novation for this

6. Tob

Tob Platinum Record

You have to trade convinient features. Like clip view and racks for a proper Mixer view and extended effect chains. But you probably discovered that yourself. I did not find any real limitation.
    I have an atom sq. I use it basically exclusiv for drums. For S1 pattern editing. It is my drum machine in the Box. Works really well for that. I do not use it for much more.

7. jefft

jefft Producer

Studio one user, about 6 years ago I jumped ship from Cubase to Studio One and never looked back, its certain;ly superior to Cubase, less expensive ( not so many chargeble Upgrades) and almost no crashes ( I had two crashes in all the time ive used S1) you can create any form of music on it, with ease. Regarding the Atom controller, I bought one (I also own a faderport) and found little use for the atom controller, the only thing I used it for was a drum and synth controller( Use the Pads for drums and the knobs to set filters for synths etc) and , so I sold it and bought an akai MPD 218, which does the job for me me .

8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

In my case, it is definitely Cubase that's the issue. It would crash with certain plugins, whereas all said plugins worked fine in Studio One, Ableton, and Reason
    Yeah, I do love Studio One to be honest. It's feeling ike where I click, and seems to be a happy place between Cubase and Ableton for me. For the rumbles, I always used to feed the kick audio into a second track and process it there anyway in Ableton using reverb to smear, delay to get the bounce into the rumble, a distortion to wreck it, and then an EQ or two to only retain and shape the low frequencies, so I'm hoping I can replicate that easily in Studio One.....though, saying that, don't know if I've ever actually trying running audio of one track into another audio track in Studio One?! I assume it's possible?

I also found an Atom for £40 today so have taken a punt on it for that price, so I can try it before deciding on the Atom SQ. I've also found a Fadeport V2 (to replace my Fadeport V1) locally for £45 too, so am slowly migrating over to PreSonus now it seems :rofl:

9. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I do use the warping in Ableton occasionally, but I'm hoping that having recently started using Loopcloud to manage my samples it will help with the timestretching and key locking of my camples for me when using them in Studio One.

10. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

It is primarily for the sequencing and creation of drums and patterns I was looking at the Atom SQ, so it's good to hear it works well in that way. From the reviews, it seems lacking as a keyboard so I'll probably retain my Komplete Kontrol keyboard for that sort of stuff.

11. OOM

OOM Platinum Record

Try following the steps in these links using Studio One and the plugins mentioned... EQ, Reverb, etc...

https://www.productionmusiclive.com...ing-techno-kick-you-love-with-johannes-menzel

https://www.studiobrootle.com/techno-rumble-ableton-rumble-kick/

If you know then search for this plugin there... Revealed Recordings Maddix Rumble ...might help you a bit?

Ok, now rumble on!

12. Melodic Reality

Melodic Reality Rock Star

If you can make that music in Cubase, you can do it in S1 too, same linear principle pretty much. Personally I got tired of making music that way and pretty much Bitwig nailed everything for me coming from Logic. Never gelled with Live tho, tried to get into it for about 5-10 years, it's just not my cup of tea at all.

13. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

1: very nice chain ! gonna try that later ! thanks !
    2: "running audio of one track into another audio track in Studio One?! I assume it's possible?" : yes! it is ! this was the way i tried too to make my rumbles and this was the most useful !
    3: about the toys... yee sound very good ! go for it ! very good choice studio one for real.. hope fender dont ruin it x_x

14. Lorrislehorse

Lorrislehorse Ultrasonic

Hey, i was also an Ableton user but switched to Studio One, i also own both a Atom and Atom SQ, i don't recommend the Atom as the Atom SQ is much better and yes you can make Techno with Studio One, I've started with Studio One 3 and it was pretty limited in features but Presonus update it so frequently that now we are at version 6 and V7 will probably come in 2024, here some of my track wich are inspired by My Little Pony

EDIT: also Studio One isn't perfect and for example i wish it had a Effect rack container that you could save as presets and have maccros attached to it exactly like ableton does, S1 have a FX rack but it can save only one chain of effects at a time...

Techno

Drum and Bass

Dubstep

15. Ukrainian_deviator

Ukrainian_deviator Newbie

I have material from good artists who work in StudioOne.But after you trolled, you understood what I mean, I can tell you. Set sail small.

16. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

maybe did u refer to the SPLITTER at studio one 6 pro? in the video at min 2:29

17. Funkydude

Funkydude Newbie

@Bunford Studio One is the DAW I use for productions on a variety of genres; nu disco, house, techno, tech-house and I love the work flow. To me it is just Logic, but on Windows. There are some issues regarding automation to the point that not every parameter can be automated. That is the only flaw I came across regarding in the box dance music production. Although, the daw also not perfectly behaves on steep cuts in automation like a hook of 90 degrees. You basically have to make sure every point is all but 90 degrees; mostly in the scenario where a kick is lowcutted, and you want to bring it in again I have to make sure the automation kicks off a few milliseconds before. Other than this, it is a great DAW.

18. ELJUNTADERO2022

ELJUNTADERO2022 Producer

did u know how to make a good rumble there? maybe im forgotten to do something specific but even record and audio track from another channel wheres my vst its running, its not the same result that u can achieve in ableton ...

19. Funkydude

Funkydude Newbie

Just send the kick thought a send channel with delay, reverb, distortion lowpass and sidechain. And you can then record this into a clean channel. Cause otherwise the rumble kinda continues when you stop it. So you either record it so it is solid, or you use a mixtool plugin (volume control) to put the volume completely down (on the send channel) when you need it to stop.