Does anyone know of a good resource/method to learn to sight read music better?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Bunford, Nov 22, 2022.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I've recently started learning piano, and my sight-reading needs improving. My teacher hasn't implied it, but being harsh on myself and real, I know I need to up my game.

I'm the type of person that find it difficult to learn by reading textbooks, and so I'm looking for an alternative method. Learning the piano is making me pick things up, obviously, but at a pretty slow pace and whereas my treble clef reading is improving at a pace I'm happy with, my bass clef reading is absolutely shockingly bad.

Anyone got any offerings?

3. Haliax

Haliax Guest

Notes (iPhone / iPad)
    Music Tutor (Android)

Anything like the above I find is a great way to practice sight reading at any time.

4. RachProko

RachProko Producer

Sorry, but there are no magic wands or other shortcut's that will make you learn sight reading faster.

IMO there's only one thing that will make you better at sight reading and that is daily practice, and practice more!

Make sure you understand every note and every sign you read. If not, stop en look up what you don't understand until you fully do! Then proceed till the next thing you don't understand. Eventually you'll learn more and more and get better.

Start with pieces you can easily play at first sight and work your way up to more difficult ones. Just remember to practice it daily, or at least to do it as often as possible. You'll notice you'll get better at it at some point?

This is really the only way to learn sight reading!

Apps can help you to explain notes and signs you do not understand, but they will never help you to learn how to sight read and play this at the same time. Only solid practice will get you there!