Does anyone else get crazy annoyed and derailed by software?!?!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bunford, Sep 22, 2023.

1. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

I stopped using a bunch of softs/plugins for being buggy AND/OR workflow killers.
    Arturia (in general) were so buggy it was a crash every session : OUT

Workflow killer DAW (to me) : Cubase and Reaper
    Can't stand those DAWs compared to Studio One or Logic

Don't force you to use anything musical that "resist" to your musical flow (being bugs, GUI ... anything).

I don't mean "easy only" : i play guitar and try to shred and it is not easy at all
    BUT when i have a guitar "fighting" against me : OUT
    I still take care of my first guitar, more than 20 years later.

I don't care if it is supposed to be "the best" : not for me :wink:

2. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I do have one of my guitars on the stand next to my desk actually, and regularly pick it up to noodle with for a break from the computer.

I tend to use Ableton for more 4/4 electronic stuff and it's largely stable and not many issues. I use Studio One mainly for more live, indie, rock stuff as well as film, trailer, or hybrid noodling, and find that pretty stable too. So the DAW side of things isn't too bad to be fair.

I just had this bug with the TCD 1.363 version of Serum for first time when I was in a deep flow and it just pissed me off and halted everything. Happened before when I used to use Cubase and certain plugins would cause entire DAW to crash or freeze (which didn't happen in other DAWs).

Just more of a rant about when it happens than any specific software, and wondered whether others are affected and how you all handle it. So many amazing pieces of music have probably been lost to the It gods in this way, or at least there's about 25 tracks I'd be famous for by now:rofl:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
  3. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

I don't have this type of problem because I compose with real instruments, I don't like to rely on a computer and software. I use computer based instruments and extras to embelish on my compositions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. jagctl

jagctl Ultrasonic

I recently quit Ableton for logic because of this. I love Ableton, and it’s so fast and intuitive for me, but after 8 years the amount of glitches, crashes and dead slow rendering while I was on the clock meant that I am much happier to use logic, despite what I consider its shortcomings, in exchange for its reliability, fast rendering, no recording fuckery, and a real fucking mixer. It’s easy to prioritise bells and whistles, but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is that you can get good ideas down as and when they happen, and the software helps instead of hinders that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

@Bunford yes it is funny, i realized too that Cubase was one of the LESS stable VST host i ever tested (along FL Studio).
    Whereas Steinberg CREATED VST standard :rofl:

It was one of the point against Cubase (apart workflow).

Same with FL Studio : how many time i seen ppl saying : "this plugin don't work into FL Studio" (and start tweaking settings ... that don't even exist on other DAWs).

No way for me, but everyone his needs

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Yes, I have a couple of those, and my digital piano also has it's own built-in sounds. I love VSTi's and audio software in general, but sometimes it's nice to keep it simple and go old school.
    It's totally different when I get into production though, and then I am like a mad scientist :crazy:

7. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

The same way i keep a guitar multi effect ... even if i use mainly computer sims.
    Plug and play