Does anybody uses virtual machine for DAW and the plugins?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Wolfang, Oct 7, 2022.

1. Wolfang

Wolfang Producer

I'm wondering if anybody does it. If yes, is there any performance issue or any other troubles?
    What kind of virtual machine is the best for it?
    Or do you use the virtual machine for internet (web browser) instead?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. mondomorte

mondomorte Producer

It's nice to see this question here, because today I have been troubling-shooting a VM (Oracle Virtual Box) running a Windows 8 guest on my High Sierra 10.13.6. I simply cannot get the Windows virtual machine to play sound.

Otherwise, I haven't encountered any other performance issues. Besides the lack of sound, I do use the VM to run the Akai ak.Sys software for controlling my Akai Z8 sampler and it works great.

4. Wolfang

Wolfang Producer

I'm also glad to hear that. BTW, do you have a powerful computer? My laptop is 6th gen Skylake, so I'm afraid it can handle virtual machine without performance issue. What I'm gonna try is to install another Windows 10 in my Windows 10 system. The experience I have with virtual machine is VMware for running retro games. I installed Windows XP on it and the performance was not so bad.
    But this project is huge. Around 400 GB plugins are installed on D drive and it will take several days to uninstall/re-install on virtual machine. And if it's not good, I'll have to spend several more days to roll back everything. This is why I'm asking before I make a decision.
    Music production tools are quite heavy IMO, so I should consider it carefully.
    What is your opinion?

5. mino45

mino45 Kapellmeister

Vmware says that ESXi has 83-98% of the performance of the native system. That said ESXi is a different case than VMware or VirtualBox. So i wouldnt recommend it as i would suspect the performance being less than ESXi

6. rage

rage Kapellmeister

That seems like a good way to push yourself to consider jumping in front of a bus. I wouldn't do it. That is really stretching a VM to the brink or over the edge, if you aren't running a maxed out top of the line computer, I would think. Save up to buy a PC.

7. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Honestly, as great as Virtual machines are because a great majority of corporate servers run them ,for DAW's there is a MUCH better way.
    A second machine running as a slave running plugins and instruments different (and similar) to the primary.
    You do not need a super expensive grunty second machine other than making sure it has at least 16GB RAM which is not that expensive these days. You can run via SPDIF / SMPTE, or MTC if only MIDI.

As a SOLO machine being the only one, I would never consider a VM as the housing for any dedicated DAW. It's just asking for trouble.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Just for test/compatibilty.

If you have USB 3 you can boot switch several external different hdds with preinstalled Windows (using Hasleo tools like Win to USB) and it should be fast enough (I tested it).

9. Wolfang

Wolfang Producer

Well, that's what I'm afraid. Thanks for the advice.

10. Wolfang

Wolfang Producer

I was also considering it. Let's see.

11. jtayl711

jtayl711 Noisemaker

I didn't see this thread until now but I posted something very similar here. Have you had any luck?

12. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

I tried VM DAW several times ... and it s*cks :wink:
    Real time audio is VERY sensitive to low level stability AND ressources.

Remote hosting is a LOT better.
    You can stack has many "windows boxes" you need and get your plugins run smooth.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List