Does anybody use computer performance 'improvement' software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bunford, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Just wondering if anyone uses any type of software on their machines to improve performance at all? I know there's a bunch of Windows tweaks to be done, but I'm talking about specific software, such as Process Lasso, RAM Saver Pro, and so on.

Anybody use any? Any of them work and improve the performance and juice you can get from your hardware?

3. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

Would be interesting to hear an actual review on them.

But i think times are over for this kind of tweaks. 15 years ago sure, but where we are now is a total different league in computer performance. If you reach the roof then a simple tweak won’t do it on the long run

4. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Yes! The software behind my eyes and between my ears.

Once you know & understand which services can be uninstalled and/or disabled, you should have a very responsive production system. This is especially the case for offline computer systems.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Genoveva Bernhard

Genoveva Bernhard Producer

In my case, one of the best tweaks was using LatencyMon. I still use it from time to time just in case some nefarious company decides to secretly drop an executable without my knowing. That, and the usual tweaks you find on the interweb.

6. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

Disable internet connection, so no program will even TRY to connect to internet
    LatencyMon, to check if any hardware is killing your perfs (like Wifi or RJ45 drivers)

After that, it is more about uninstalling softwares or disabling startup services.
    Check your "msconfig"

7. zalbadar

zalbadar Ultrasonic

I use ASUS RAMCACHE. It automatically stores commonly used files on your set area of your RAM at start up.

Why do I use it? I miss clicked when installing the mother boards network card drivers.
    As far as I can see it speeds up openiong random files I use a lot that aren't on SD drives.

Is it a must have, no. My machine might work better without it but I'm to lazy to uninstall it.

Now as for the type of software your're actually wanting to talk about, No I don't use them and I feel calling them performance enhancers is wrong.

The method these software use to enhance your machines performance is mostly down to systems of automatic cleaning, regestry, temp files, etc..

If you keep your computer clean then they'll have nothing to clean and therefore won't do anything for your system in terms of performace.

8. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Only jv16 powertools for cleaning

9. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

1) NO! and 2) NO! :wink:

It doesn't work and in some cases that software makes Windows slower as they usually occupy SysTray. The only thing that can make Windows work better is Li... err optimising it for audio as per Focusrite, Presonus etc. websites and some rare registry tweaks. But generally, when I optimise Windows for audio it already works much better and there's no need for fine tuning for +0.5% [if even that].

The best thing you can do for Windows of all things is not use any AntiVirus software and don't use Internet or use it sparingly with it. Just visit a couple of safe websites. Use other Windows or Linux for browsing the web and fuc**** around. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  10. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

What for ?
    Many tools promise speed, but rather fill the pockets of the manufacturers and many tools do more harm than good.
    The modern PC is already optimized enough to perform all modern tasks.
    The CPU and memory are 2022 high end. Why do you need "even more" performance? You already drive a Maserati.

12. m.sarti

m.sarti Producer

I'm on Mac platform, where I install applications that can clean-up RAM and system junk and such on demand (because I'm too stupid to remember the command-line methods), but I never have such things running in the background, for the same reason why I don't install applications system encumbrances such as enhanced Finder applications. On the other hand, I also have Startup Items and Menu Bar additions blocked unless absolutely necessary. Additionally, I use the system's Firewall plus a persistent client that selectively blocks applications' "phoning home," and always select their Preferences control for prohibiting sharing info with their developers. Disconnecting the Internet while using a DAW is something I also do.

13. Jelly

Jelly Ultrasonic

I switch off all appliances in my house to channel the cleanest energy to my CPU.
    I also ask my neighbors to cut their power when I'm on my mix.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. secretworld

secretworld Kapellmeister

I use process lasso, because vienna ensemble pro 5 does not like hyperthreading and with process lasso I can set it so VEP only uses real cores without disabling HT altogether.
    Also Throttlestop makes my laptop always run at 4ghz turbo, without up or downclocking. Plus it can undervolt the cpu by quit a bit, so less heat.
    Both are tools to regain some control over your cpu. Especially on laptops with most of the time very limited bioses, this is a godsend. OK maybe that is a little over the top.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Optimize your computer for music production

0.) Don't let audio glitches ruin your performances! www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/

1.) The Ultimate Guide to Optimize your Windows PC for the Stage
    https://gigperformer.com/docs/ultimate-guide-to-optimize-windows-for-stage/index.html

2.) LatencyMon 7.20
    The LatencyMon software analyzes and identifies which device, which driver or which service is causing audio dropouts or malfunctions. Real-time audio suitability checker for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/2016/2012/2008 (x86 and x64)
    Scroll Down to: System Monitoring Tools www.resplendence.com/downloads

3.) Windows Tuning Tips for Audio Processing
    https://support.native-instruments....1729-Windows-Tuning-Tips-for-Audio-Processing

4.) PreSonus - Optimizing Your Computer for Audio - Windows 10
    https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-...Optimizing-Your-Computer-for-Audio-Windows-10

5.) Ableton - Optimizing Windows for Audio
    https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209071469-Optimizing-Windows-for-Audio

6.) FL Studio - Optimizing FL Studio performance
    www.image-line.com/fl-studio-learning/fl-studio-online-manual/html/app_opt.htm

7.) Steinberg - Windows: How to set-up and optimize a Digital Audio Workstation
    https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/...t-up-and-optimize-a-Digital-Audio-Workstation

8.) Focusrite - Optimising your PC for Audio on Windows 10
    https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. popka

popka Member

Try Advanced System Care Pro
    Smart Defrag Pro by iObit

17. DAW

DAW Kapellmeister

Disabling internet connection will not forbid any app installed to try to update. Fortunately some have that option to be tweaked. Not all.

Also, for very simple example: "GoogleUpdate.exe" is always running in the background, with or without internet connection. Stop it, it comes back. ( Thank you Opera. )

Black Viper’s pages are the best for this. Tons of details and a very efficient series of services to tweak :=>

After that, deeper : destroy Windows Defender, Windows Store, Mail, Camera, Edge, Restore, Cortana, forced updates,... A stripped down Windows using less RAM and CPU will obviously perform better. 1% here, 3% there, etc, at the end it'll be very noticeable difference. My little naked laptop i5 2.50 GHZ/ 4 GB runs like a charm.

As Mr. SineWave answered :
    " Outside " software such as those 2 are NOT welcomed at all. Since 1842, I tried them all. Even before the discovery of electricity, even before computers.

Dear Onanists, the life of those exploits is in your hands ! :winker:

18. DAW

DAW Kapellmeister

Promo for paid, useless, software.

19. Tai-San

Tai-San Ultrasonic

I've been using Process Lasso for a few years, mainly for peace of mind. It's important to understand that it's designed to act on background processes only - in case something gets stuck or runs out of control, it can "restrain" that process, and avoid interrupting any foreground programs. Ideally, it's doing nothing.

I would stay away from so-called "RAM cleaners" and such. Windows is a mature OS and smart enough to know how to allocate RAM efficiently - if RAM starts filling up that's a feature, not a bug. If more RAM is needed than available, Windows know how to intelligently make room - "purging" does nothing at best, and maybe even more harm than good since the OS is now fighting with the third-party tool for control. (Having said that, I do use Intelligent Standby List Cleaner (ISLC), but it's set to only kick in at an extreme, so ideally doing nothing too).

20. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

I have the impression some members rate a post dislike when they actually disagree? :unsure: