Does anybody know any VSTi with optional "Midi Note Off" functionality?

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by odelay, Jul 19, 2020.

1. odelay

odelay Kapellmeister

Hi everybody. Greetings from Spain.

The other day I remembered I own an old Kontakt library from Bela D Media called "Retro Flute", which implements a "Repetition" function which works so that whenever you activate it through its keyswitch, the brief MIDI notes you play are repeated at the very precise moment the MIDI note sends the "MIDI note off" message. It's a nice feature which allows you to play quite realistic passages. I can't remember right now, but I think Musiclab's Virtual Guitars (RealGuitar, RealStrat, etc) implement a similar optional keyswitch. I think I have seen a similar feature in other Kontakt libraries which emulate oriental plucked instruments.

Wouldn't it be cool to have such feature within a virtual synthesizer, to allow "the MIDI note off" message to retrigger the last note played? It would be quite interesting if you have the option to toggle the repetition on and off quickly, such as by assigning the feature to any easy-to-control modulator, such as the Modwheel or the sustain pedal. I've tried to remember if ANY of the virtual synths I know feature such "retriggering" function - of course, one can always program a MIDI sequence so that the notes are so short that the "MIDI note on" messages will get the work done, but it would be interesting to have the ability to make it work that way in a "live input" MIDI recording. Anyway, my question is if anybody knows of any virtual synth of any kind (Substractive, Wavetable, FM, etc) which sports a "note repetition" function which might be toggled on/off while playing or making a live MIDI recording.

Just curious if such a synth exists. If it does not come to your mind quickly, don't give it much thought.

The most similar thing that has come to my mind is a MIDI sequencer VSTi you might have heard of: HY-MPS2 by HY-Plugins. You can program a series of MIDI note blocks, each with different note length values, and a "gate" length. The individual notes within each block can be made to be the same note, or different notes. You can establish a "gate" value for each note (to trim the length) and you can also set a "positive-negative" value so that the timing of a particular note is either played ahead or late, thus sounding more human-like. The sequencer also gives you plenty of MIDI CC options to link to your synth features and spice up your sequence. You should give it a try. Apart from the Demo, there is also a FREE version, which only allows you to build up to 3 different blocks (the full version gives you 8) and you get no CC modulation in the free version.