Do you use plugins from various manufacturers?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wolfang, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

I read in somewhere once that 1+1=3. Is that true? Or should I read a couple of more things first? Before i start asking questions based solely off of the one thing i read "somewhere once"? Since i can't even precisely site my first source of information it must be credible right?

Off topic. But I also heard somewhere once. That dogs from Mozambique can have up to six legs, depending on the season in which they are bred. Is that also true. Just curious.

2. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Don't use hardware Moog Minimoog and TB303. They are both analog, but different sounding and from different eras. You will get from both analog crap "70s+80s+90s acid electro disco house funk". Hahahahah

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  3. SyNtH4X

SyNtH4X Member

This is the top secret the famous ppl never wanted us to know!!
    Who's whistling & leaking shit all over!? Shut it down!!

Maybe set up a few VST-chains & test yourself whether there's any truth to the claim?
    Whispering... the most important part of all VST-chains is the chief commanding them.

4. Pagurida

Pagurida Platinum Record

If it's about frequency responses:
    OP spoke of "each manufacturer uses different frequencies to make plug-ins", whatever that means...
    Digital plugins, however, have extremely linear frequency responses in contrast to sound transducers (microphones, loudspeakers).
    The level deviations are usually a small fraction of a dB in the neutral setting.
    Even if that were audible, wouldn't the sound have to get "thicker" sometimes too, not "always thinner" as claimed?

5. Pagurida

Pagurida Platinum Record

Wrong! 1+1=1!

6. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Isn't that exactly just what I wrote...?

7. Pagurida

Pagurida Platinum Record

Not really. My reference was the statement "thinner and thinner" of the OP, but it would also have to get "thicker" sometimes, if the effect were actually present, wouldn't it?

8. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Using the same mic, maybe depending on how large a track count could potentially skew a mix toward certain frequencies, however mic placement (distance and axis) will have a great determining effect on frequencies captured as well as even subtle use of equalization to balance a mix. Using certain compressors will also yield novel tone to microphones as saturation if driven and will change the personality of frequencies affected. Microphones with cardoid or figure 8 patterns will have a proximity effect which can be used to bump up the bottom end or not which of course will alter the frequency plot accordingly.

I have and have had microphones of the same brand with much different polar patterns that sound very different from each other. The same could be said with the same brand of acoustic guitars that I have/had of varying sizes, shapes and woods though you can definitely hear a family resemblance. So, in my personal experience I have not found skewed or frequencies piling up as you have stated although mics are of the same lineage or if I only had the one to use, though of course it is nice to have many at your disposal to highlight different instruments or talent's strengths and to diminish their weaknesses. And I haven't even gotten into multiple patterned mics that can have very different polar patterns each with unique frequency graphs. Then one mic could certainly and without much effort if planned accordingly be used to create a soundscape of unlimited potential.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  9. Satai

Satai Rock Star

BTW, all laughs about "frequencies" aside, if you restrict yourself to, let's say, only Meldaproduction plugs and then double down and use only those 24/7, you might very well get a whole lot more work done than if you're always having to dl and install a new compressor from company X that just came out and supposed to be amazing. Your skills with your chosen plugs will far outperform any algorithmic benefit that could be gotten from other company's plugs, just by virtue of the familiarity you'd develop with the sound of your chosen "gentleman's set".

Could it be the original guy was actually super smart and onto something there...

Naaaah, he's a superstitious goofball. :rofl:

10. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

I use different manufacturer's plug-ins to keep my waistline thinner.
    The extra effort dealing with different graphic interfaces for the same results burns more calories.

11. OraMorph

OraMorph Ultrasonic

hahahh

12. tun

tun Rock Star

this is VERY VERY false. can you link to the article please? i would love to read that crap.
    DSP doesnt really work like that, neither does mixing, or sound design, or audio.
    i am not going to write thousands of paragraphs of reasons as to why that is bullshit information, just trust me, you can ignore it.
    i would be surprised if there was a single person on the planet that has ever made a track using only one devs tools.

13. tun

tun Rock Star

wait. you must be foster :hahaha:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. From now on I'll use nothing but Slate. My mixes will sound bigger than Steven Slates ego. My mastering will be sharper than his haircut.

15. tun

tun Rock Star

oh please. marketing psychology has been around since the late 1800s - early 1900s. far longer than digital audio :yes:

16. tun

tun Rock Star

there are a lot of people being nasty about this question. maybe its a troll, maybe not, but there are no stupid questions in my opinion.
    @Wolfang
    ignore the guys saying its a dumb question. nobody is born with any audio knowledge. there was a time when even the most incredible audio artists did not even know what a frequency was.
    people forget that.
    the dunning and kruger effect has a lot to do with it. those guys are somewhere in the middle of the graph, where their knowledge is lacking but their confidence is high.

i am always happy to answer noobies questions to the best of my knowledge, no matter how simple.

17. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I only use one eq and I have it locked to a single frequency, because if you use multiple eqs at enough different frequencies eventually all the frequencies will be gone and you won't hear anything at all.

18. tun

tun Rock Star

:hahaha: cant even argue with that logic hahah

19. Dildo Baggins

Dildo Baggins Kapellmeister

It's actually the opposite thats true - you should ALWAYS mix and match plug-ins from different companies so you have wide range of frequencies in your music.

20. mickey

mickey Ultrasonic

Let me share a taught with you. Use different plugins from different manufacturer in a project to get that analog vibe because of the slight difference in their coding since no two analog gear sounds the same. For example, use waves cla 76 for vocals, arturia 76 for kick, psp fet for snare etc just mix it up, u might just get the feel of an 1176 more than using just one vendor. Then sometimes the color u get from one vendor plugin used all through the mix might cause frequency masking. Dont mind my English am in a haste lol