Do you use plug-ins for variations or do you make your own?????

Discussion in 'Live' started by Rainy Keys, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Rainy Keys

Rainy Keys Kapellmeister

Should I use plug-ins for variations or should I make my own. Lately I have gotten lazy. I might fire up Stutter Edit, Effectrix, glitch2 etc to make my variations or I might stop being lazy and make my own. I think I'll use stutter edit lol question.jpg

3. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I don't see that little thing in the last line. What it is?? [/SARCASM OFF]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  4. Rainy Keys

Rainy Keys Kapellmeister

What little thing? The image is a question mark

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Well switching from clHH to oHH and edge or bell ride works pretty well in Rock.
    I wonder how Stutter will achieve this. :unsure: [​IMG]

6. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

LOL- I thought the post was nothing,really, he said "I think I'll use stutter edit lol".
    I thought he'd considered some thing , then made his decision, and just wanted everyone to know!
    I almost did not bother to scroll down, but glad I did, to learn about the closed and open hi-hat thing.
    I am going to try that right now!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Rainy Keys

Rainy Keys Kapellmeister

do you use plugins for variations or make your own????? Bum

8. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

No, I never really used plugins for variation and still learning to make even simple patterns.
    I HAVE played with Stutter Edit a little...but i have no anecdote to offer, as it looked too complicated to learn to use it at the time.
    Why do you say "Bum"?
    I made a joke about the hi-hat thing, but just to make fun of myself....
    But I think I might be more of a bum if I only use premade patterns or something.
    Of course for simple stuff it doesn't really matter anyway and it is more a matter of choosing sounds.
    Seriously, I have been looking at more and more drum patterns in the drum VSTs and there is so much complicated stuff in variations that I would never think to even try, but I feel like I have to alter it a lot to feel I can use it.
    Maybe some of the stuff I edit will come back to me when doing stuff from scratch.
    I don't see using plugins for variations is any kind of cheat, that's for sure.
    And I DO have Effectrix as well ... i ought to try that out.

9. electriclash

electriclash Guest

meme.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

Tbh a lot of the time im too lazy to even add gross beat or permut8 lol. I write variations from stuff that’s already in the arrangement but I think stuff like parameter locks or buffer effects usually sounds a lot more interesting

11. SoundLanguage

SoundLanguage Member

1°) Try to make the same thing... but with reversed samples! I mean that all the instruments play exactly the same things, but each note's sound is reversed. Works very well with drums, but hey, just try. You could even try with the voice, saying the syllables / words in reverse (but don't change the melody! Far more interesting and...), funny!

2°) Try to "hash" your sounds! Means you cut rhythmically your track, introducing very, very short silences (not exactly like a trance gate, but close), works best of course if it's perfectly in sync with the rest.

3°) Play with filters! There's a LOT of things you can do with moog-like filters, or (simpler) with the equalizers shipped with your DAW. Play with them like crazy, then automate everything. You can create actual rhythmic filter - musical - patterns, like if you was playing with an instrument.