Do you use Ableton and bought VSM-3? I have bad news for you...

Discussion in 'Software' started by 9000k, Mar 1, 2020.

1. 9000k

9000k Producer

...you've wasted your money, it sounds exactly like Live's built-in saturator :rofl:

Try it with these settings:
    - VSM-3: just open and don't touch anything :dont:, tweak input to +10dB and "drive" on "2nd harmonic fet crusher" section to 100%
    - Live's Saturator: just open and don't touch anything :dont:, set "Hard Curve", drive 23.4dB, output -10dB, dry/wet about 58.5%

Rest of parameters on Vertigo are basically replicable in Ableton saturator by playing with "drive" or with "color" section or fine tuning with EQ (Vertigo slightly bumps lows and highs), but with above settings they are basically 1:1... What do you think about this? Same thing with elysia karacter lmao

I'm kind off surprised, because everyone is raving about this plugin and it turns out Ableton's stock plugin is just as good :) The difference is so small, no one would tell the difference when listening to the whole mix.

BTW, don't a/b on whole mixes... I prefer testing it on isolated sounds, kick drums particularly, they are telling the truth about distortions :guru:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Ive only got vertigo 2, "not the yellow one the blue one"
    Im gonna fire abl up and test the theory via thst particular vst
    And on isolated sounds too

il be back

4. 9000k

9000k Producer

Wait, are you talking about VSC-2? This one is a compressor and I'm talking about saturator (VSM-3) :D

5. Majestic

Majestic Rock Star

Do you use Ableton and bought VSM-3? I have bad news for you...

...you've wasted your money, it sounds exactly like Team R2R's Vertigo VSM-3 saturator :rofl:

Try it with these settings:
    - VSM-3: just open and don't touch anything :dont:, tweak input to +10dB and "drive" on "2nd harmonic fet crusher" section to 100%
    - R2R's Saturator: just open and don't touch anything :dont:, tweak input to +10dB and "drive" on "2nd harmonic fet crusher" section to 100%

All of the parameters on Vertigo are basically replicable in R2R's saturator by configuring the same settings, and with any settings they are basically 1:1... What do you think about this? Same thing with elysia karacter lmao

I'm kind off surprised, because everyone is raving about this plugin and it turns out Team R2R's stock plugin is just as good :) The difference is non-existent, no one would tell the difference when listening to the whole mix.

BTW, don't a/b on whole mixes... I prefer testing it on isolated sounds, kick drums particularly, they are telling the truth about distortions :guru:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

YuP , My apologies
    Im tryin to find a torrent with the v2 saturator coz there was one prior to v3 i just looked -n v3 if released here or on any other sites, so again, ill be back coz i cant seem to find the plginalliance bundle, coz i couldve sworn i had a yellow preamp, but then my install files got corrupted and id deleted the install..

7. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

:goodpost::thanks::phunk:

8. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

"I truly dont understand why , Click n upload, isnt bein used on this site"

I had to go over to the darkside to get it....

I just d'l'ed the all plugin pundle, v3.1, which is 1.2 gb, in under 1 minute, and its free to use and has no download limit, And thats just wicked!!

Why i ask you??

Im installing now n it does include the v2 version/not the comp, the harmonic unit in yellow

9. LouderAtNight

LouderAtNight Noisemaker

Hope this doesn't get me in trouble for saying but it seems this site turned into money making for a fair amount of uploaders lol
    I wonder how that affiliate program shit even works, Ive seen about 10+ posts that were "exclusive" elsewhere in the last week alone

I was shocked to see a zippyshare link a few weeks back lol

10. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. LouderAtNight

LouderAtNight Noisemaker

lol wtf @ that gif

12. willynucka

willynucka Ultrasonic

I have some bad news for you: Tried your test on some 808s, and VSM definitely sounds better. Fuller, warmer, more analog sound. I'm sure a person could get them very close with more processing, but I can hear a very audible difference in your test settings even on laptop speakers.

I bounced an audio clip if anyone needs to hear how obvious it is, but i'll let people do it themselves and be the judge.

13. 9000k

9000k Producer

Sure, lets compare our results then :) Here is mine, kicks 1 & 2 are raw 808 sample, kicks 3 & 4 are vertigo, kicks 5 & 6 are live's (or r2r's haha) saturator

https://vocaroo.com/ejubCXCKP0p

Yeah, there is subtle difference, built-in saturator sounds kind of plastic, but for me it's simply not worth the money (if using Ableton), it's better to buy something like SDRR or Decapitator, since they sound much, much more unique.

14. J Frank Badass

J Frank Badass Ultrasonic

primary use of VSM-3 is the final link in the mastering chain before dither IMHO

15. willynucka

willynucka Ultrasonic

https://vocaroo.com/ltjPLQrEfKB

That's how I would describe it, too. Plastic, cold, digital. If you grabbed VSM for $29 like you could right now with a code, I would never tell someone it was a bad buy. I think I bought back when it was way more expensive lol. I have so many saturation plugs now, but I still have some love for VSM-3. I basically only use it to overdrive bass these days.

16. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

Fielding DSP - Reviver for mixbus....sometimes

decapiator for drums

:wink:
    --
    retro color..psp vintage warmer etc:mad:for the rest:rofl: