Do you think it's worth to invest in a synth or stay with plugins?

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by Maduka, Mar 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Spirit

Spirit Member

Anyone who is into electronic dance music (in its true generic meaning, as opposed to what "EDM" tends to mean now) knows that the early to mid-nineties were waaaaaaaay better than the 80's - the roots were in the late 80s but it hadn't hit full swing yet. I was fortunate enough to have been born in 1970. which means i was 20-25 in 1990-95. I would not swap having that period of my life in those years for any other time. I still sometimes listen to stuff now from that period and it always totally blows me away how varied and unbelievably creative the music was then.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. mlb4sheaz

mlb4sheaz Ultrasonic

One of my all time favourite albums is from 1996 i think. 'BABY-D Deliverence' its absolutely Timeless

3. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

So why haven't you? As it's your bread and butter synth.
    I do like them, but not sure it would fit in with my style, so probs wouldn't use it enough.
    Because the OP was asking about synths, not electric pianos or organs.
    Well. That wasn't the impression you were giving earlier.
    You only need to learn and use a few. That's the problem with software. Too many choices, it's easy to get bogged down by them.

5. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

At the end of the day, I make Electronic music not computer music, and it's what I like to do.

7. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

I would say I had the best time in the late 90's, but that was underground clubbing. For dance music in the charts the 90's had alot more than the 80's, But the 80's was the real birth of synth driven music of all styles. I was born in the 60's.

8. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Well. as it's all made in the box now, as we are led to believe, may it should be renamed to CDM (computer dance music). :rofl:

9. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@Spirit @The Teknomage
    Agreed with almost all you guys say. I too was born in '66, but of course everybody has their own experience and fond memories . I was working as a dj all summer seasons '85-90. For me the 80s dance scene was where the real sht was. New wave and synth wave, Electro & Electro funk, rap and hiphop, EBM, industrial, acid house and hip house,hell even acid jazz, all thrived or started in the 80s. I cannot say it was truly better because i raved hard during almost all the 90s as well lol. If i can spot a difference :
    The 90s was about certain styles battling each other and djs had to and ultimately took "sides" . You had your house djs, your trance djs, your dnb djs, your triphop/bigbeat djs, etc etc.
    The 80s though was more about artistic freedom. Most djs (including yours truly) would spin and mix/remix any kind of music into what seemed a club/dance music set. I remember doing breakdowns or intros with Andreas Vollenweider, Can, Nektar ,Magma, early Floyd records, and mixing Yello with Tyree, Larry Levan with FGTH,Frankie Knuckles with Coldcut, Style Counsil with KRS1 and so on. In a sense it was liberating, everything co-existed. The old and the new,the kitsch and the hip, the progressive and the mainstream, the downbeat and the uptempo. Nobody cared about tags, everybody was there to have fun and if possible take something with them, like a memorable night. And while this fun kept on going big with the rave scene in the 90s, the dance music scene as a whole was split to pieces and fans/audience became polarized towards one genre or the other. And while the mid 90s found me and my disco/funk infused house style re-enjoying a new set of fans, mainly because of Daft Punk's success, i still missed that freedom we had in the 80s.
    Right now i don;'t care much about djing anymore ,whereas in the past it was a big part of my life... I don't even care to sound relevant whereas until the late 90s i did. My new band plays 80s retro electro funk and early house sounds. So in a sense you may say i came all the way back to my roots , and i am enjoying it oh yeah baby.
    I will leave you with a classic fat analog synths track which was a major hit in the early 80s hehehe
    Peace and love

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Everybody (most) likes the music before their 20's. I like Backstreet boys and I don't like One Direction? :P

11. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

yeah.. might be a stretch to get one there ( Africa ) ...depending on the country..
    never see one in ebay that's willing to ship worldwide?

as I recall I had to wait a while for a suitable one to pop up for me as well
    even here in US, only one ebay at the mo'

http://www.ebay.com/itm/novation-K-...sh=item1a265e1f57:g:SpkAAOSwWxNYrm8w#shpCntId

aside from that.. have been very happy to use this as my first hardware synth/sound module
    cool little piece of kit.. that can be had for less than 300 USD

12. Thanks for the sort of update on the troll's vile retch. That person is on my ignore list so I blissfully don't have to see it's fetid discharge and can make some sense of the flow of the thread without having to constantly feel both violated and the need to physically be ill. I am awfully affected by it's presence on the board and wish I was able to ignore it completely, but just the thought that knowinlg it lurks in wait to soil itself and all that it touches still bothers me deeply. I am weak.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  13. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

one look at his avatar.. and his tl;dr posts does make it blissfully easy to just pass on by....,
    and in this case.. ignorance is indeed bliss :yes:

14. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

so, in your other comment you confess having been a DJ for a long time .. this explain it all ....

p.s.
    you expect me to link stuff with my name and surname on a public warez forum ? and given the name calling coming from you, why i should ?
    i dont do it because i know very well where these things go.

you must be angry because of my tirade against analogs and DJs, well let me tell you i dont give two shits.

15. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

it's a cinematic reference .. the lead actor of a notorious b-movie from the 80s, i give you a hint, his name is Melvin but suddenly after he transforms into something Toxic ... make 2+2.

16. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

but there's a catch : for instance in 87-88 when the early New Beat tracks started coming out and later it became known as Techno, nobody knew for sure how it would develop, as much as we knew it the whole Techno niche could disappear overnight along with acid house and all ... instead there was a boom in production and several sub-genres became popular overnight, and then Detroit Techno and much more, it was a luxury compared to what we have today, you could take for granted that every 6-12 months a new sub genre would take the lead and it was mostly original stuff, not remixes and copycats like now, i dont think such an intense era will ever repeat again because that was when the computer revolution became mainstream for musicians and to see a similar development we should wait for a second computer or whatever revolution, that means brand new tools and musical instruments, not gonna happen soon, maybe in the Digital realm but where and how ?

17. Bliss

18. Avenel

Avenel Kapellmeister

i've nothing against the acronym Computer Dance Music, everything is a mini-computer now including the mini-synths like the Minibrute and your smartphone and anything below 50$ price tag as they're all based on a "system on a chip" (SoC), you can make your own mini synth with a 30$ RaspBerry kit running its mini-linux with JACK and Ladspa plugins + midi and USB support, which should maybe you think how much a mini-synth sold for 2-300$ is really worth (probably it costs 40-50$ to produce in big numbers).

for anything else : yes, analogs belongs to the 70s but until the explosion of Synth-Pop in 78-79 and Hi-NGR and Space-Disco etc they've never had such a leading role, only the Electronic music niche was supposed to be 100% done with synths and synth-drums, synths in the 70s were an additional sound typically the bassline or the synth lead or for arpeggios, even Moroder used a lot of acoustic instruments including real violins and this up to the 80s, not all his hits are 100% synth based, same for so many other bands in the synth-pop niche and also some bands famouse for being Electronic like the Depeche Mode they used many guitars along with vocals ... nowadays we take for granted a song is totally synth or computer based but in the 80s it was not the norm, not at all, most of the hit songs were 100% acoustic and people expected to see musicians on stage playing a proper instrument, computers were an oddity until the late 80s, they were seen as a toy, people were shocked at the idea they could play music and even replace a whole band ! computer revolution and computer-music revolution went hand in hand and afetr the initial shock people took for granted that everything could be done on a computer, even too much because in fact a typical 8-16 bit computer was a piece of shit in terms of raw power.

19. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Your argument really is starting to become miniscule, isn't it? What OS does it run? Could you do us a tutorial on how to send e-mail via your Minibrute? That really is pure MBE mate!
    SynthPop is music that is predominately done with synths, and a lot of Depeche Mode's songs were done without the use of guitars. Sorry, but vocals don't count as the lyrical and not musical.
    You do know what acoustic means, don't you? As I would say that very fey songs in the 80's were acoustic.
    Funny you should say this, considering how much of today's crap music is made on computers, but here's something that isn't crap, wasn't made on computers, and is of your favourite type.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Hey Averell.
    Having worked as a dj is evidence of nothing other than an additional point of view. Giorgio Moroder is a dj for fuck's sake. I am also a gtr/bass player, keyboardist, drummer, singer, composer,arranger,remixer,mix/master engineer, teacher, commercial studio owner and record label co-owner with proof if needed. And only because it is MY LIFE'S WORK if you don't get it. I 've never done anything else that doesn't involve music for a good 40 years since i started learning the drums and guitar at 10-11 yo. And excuse me, i don't like to boast other than offer real world testimonies and help if i can, but you are provocative lol.
    This a warez forum ? It is quite degrading even for the likes of you to say so. I thought it was an audio technology discussion forum. I check software only at home. I don't have anything to hide. I BUY the softies i use professionally, and i have a huge list of invoices & receipts that spans 3 decades, starting with Notator and Pro 24 on the Atari Platform and currently ending somewhere in Xfer Serum and NYRV Agent for Windows. I can scan some for you and post if you like. If you were sane enough you would stfu when bested by most of the members here.
    Computers were never an oddity in the music production world. They may have been an oddity for the average Joe, but never for the musicians who -historically proven- are always trying to push through innovation and come up with something new and exciting. Many well known records and some of the biggest hits were made using the Fairlight (or the Synclavier) and both were/are digital workstations incorporating a micro computer inside them. The Fairlight even had a light pen to draw fucking waverforms and 3d visualization since the damn '70s. A quick read on the artists who have used the Fairlight reveals as the who is who of the yesteryear. From Jethro Tull and U2 to MJ and The Police to Rammstein and Klaus Shultze to OMD to Hans Zimmer and Trevor Horn, even fkn Madonna, one could arguably say that the Fairlight, although expensive as a flat, launched enough hundreds of hits and many careers as well, to be justifiably hailed as the holy grail of studio production for at least a good 10-15 years. So save the past's computer talk for those who really have been there. And because i know you won't, keep ranting bitch lol.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List