Do you store your samples as Archives or Extracted

Discussion in 'Software' started by feaster, Mar 22, 2022.

1. feaster

feaster Noisemaker

Hey Guys,

Just wondering the best way to store backups of Samples, do y'all store them as archives (rar's or zips) or as unrar'd extracted samples. The reason I ask is that, obviously, for space and for ease of copying Rar's are better (lots of tiny samples take much longer to copy than fewer larger rar's) but if there is any corruption or crc errors, the whole archive gets toasted while if the samples are expanded you might lose a few samples here and there.

Thoughts and strategies would be appreciated.

Thanks.

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

I always leave scene files exactly how they are when they are released for backup/archive purposes.

For use, I extract them all. I delete all the artwork, demo files, and any other spam they put in there. I put MIDI, Presets, and Samples separated. Then samples are either Drum Kits and Breakbeats, FX/samples, VOX, or Tonal (synths, instruments). Kontakt stuff completely separate.

I put the vocals seperately so they are easier to delete all from one place :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Good question.
    For space reasons, I'm often compressing samples from loops and construction kits (not instruments!) to lossy formats. Been using Ogg Vorbis in the past but switched to MPEG 4 audio because of better support in apps. Quality can be adjusted to match my own sense of "perfect". That usually reduced the size of a library to about a tenth of its original size.
    Since Ableton can preview compressed files like any other audio files, that works well for me.

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I pack everything with WinRar. For large files I split the volume size to 500 MB. Do not be afraid of CRC errors.
    I also had a CRC error once, very annoying but very rare, one in 100 000.
    Samples that I need more often I have unpacked in a folder.
    Everything important should be backed up - that is, burned to DVD / BluRay and/or moved to another hard drive.

6. Sauce Cause

Sauce Cause Member

I'll let you know when I finish organising one of the (last) 32TB storage units I just filled :guru:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I prefer to store as rar archives for protection of the libraries and for a faster data transfer between external SSD drive and computer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

i have my samples always extracted and plugin, programs always archived

9. Pistascho

Pistascho Member

Archived, takes forever to back up otherwise.

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

i keep a folder with all audio releases (software, tutorials, sample packs) on all external HDDs indexed with Virtual Volumes View.

The samples i use i have in a separate folder unpacked and ordered by type: Loop, Kick, FX, etc - its ordered by hand with xyplorer.

i also delete samples, which i wont use in a million years.

11. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

Personal long-time method:
    Everything is extracted. If it's a midi pack of 4GB midi files, I'll convert it an ISO for mounting.
    Extracting all archives allows for faster installation on a bare-metal system, removal of unnecessary files from the archive, and proper organization, e.g. if a sample pack has SERUM, KONTAKT, WAV, MIDI, TCI files - those are moved to their respective folders.

12. recycle

recycle Guest

My normal procedure to store samples:

• Clean the name of each sample to avoid redundancy (the name must be as short as possible)
    [​IMG]
    • Delete all unnecessary characters such as _%. @ # etc
    • Delete .nfo files, .sfv files and other not needed files

That's how I store my collection. Then for the backup, I just copy the folder as it is (never used rar's). Obviously I don't rename each file manually, I use a batch renaming app

Note:
    It is not advisable to change samples names for packs like Kontakt / Ableton Sampler etc as it will break the link with files in the preset

13. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I keep sample libraries and my projects on NAS archived with RAR 500MB volumes, non-solid, and 10% data recovery record.

Regarding samples I use, I make up to 8GB ISO files with sorted samples in them [drums, synth, waves, wavetables etc.] that I mount with Alcohol Portable as needed. It's far easier to defragment a HD with 10000 files on it than a 1000000. :wink:

Kontakt libraries that are already compressed in 2GB files I leave alone, of course. I don't use Kontakt much anyway since I use only a handful of useful sample libraries. I keep a copy of the libraries RARed on the NAS as I described.

14. itisntreal

itisntreal Guest

Who defragments his hdds nowadays your hdds just wear out