Do you really make money from producing music? How much?

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, Jun 1, 2016.

1. The Revenant

The Revenant Platinum Record

And because they were doing it for themselves and not for a club owner or an event planner.

Reason why club owners or event planners will keep every dollar earned thanks to your talent and pay you cents.

Work as a self-employed or agrees to undergo the same business management as in washing powder industry.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  2. suefreeman

suefreeman Producer

How can an artist (producer, musician,etc...) become millionaire ?

Start him up with a billion ...

3. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Yep. I've been paying the bills and supporting my family with playing, producing, writing, mixing and mastering for 20 years plus. It was tough for the early years and there have been lesser years but there's not one day going by where I'm not grateful for where I'm at today.
    Sacrifice, hard work, and consistency pay off. :winker:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. modelarmy

modelarmy Ultrasonic

I´ve earned 250 Euro DJing per night. Thursday Friday Saturday is in the month about 3000 Euro. The rest of the week i worked as an graphic designer. But after one year I fell asleep at the table and had to finish it. Now i make music for fun and sometimes i make music in a club.
    But i have a big dream. The movie about swedish housemafia starts with a sequence where they driving with an powerboat into the big blue
    horizont. Thats my dream. Earn enough money with what i love, with music. They say people must have a dream. I have a dream...

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  5. django

django Member

That's all true but it's also because no-one is going to stand around doing shitty weddings/birthday type gigs for the love of it. So that has a commercial value. Playing in clubs can be fun, and even if it isn't so fun after a while, there is a supply of people who are trying to break into it, who imagine it is and will do it for less. Now people don't even have to invest any money in their equipment or music collections so that group of people is fa larger and they have to invest far less time, effort and money to have a crack at it.

Technology has opened up loads of opportunities for people to make music and get access to other peoples music, but it has meant it's a lot harder to make a living from it also. If I wasn't already too far gone to do anything else I'd recommend people had a different way to make a living and could do music purely for the love of it.

6. foster911

foster911 Guest

7. Zombay Da Silva

Zombay Da Silva Member

Beautiful dream, dude. But the topic, as I understand it, is a bit more about creating music, not playing it, innit :) ?

8. modelarmy

modelarmy Ultrasonic

No! With creating music i earn nothing. Just fun and emotions.

9. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Coincidentally, in recent months I wondered why I was feeling so burned-out on making (some would call it "producing") music. I had started with digital music seven years before, after not having made music since the analog days. I realized that all the time and brainwork (with attendant costs forgivable) that I put into just administering my music – registering it with BMI, putting it online, social-media crap, et al. - was enough to cut into my time and volition to work on music itself. I then estimated the hours devoted to that, and added them to the time I've devoted to making music, over the past seven years. This came to that, a wage of $15 an hour, I was "owed" $100,00-$150,00 in back-pay for all my labor-time devoted to making and administering my music over the past seven years. The sales of my music, compared to that, are like spitting in the ocean. Any disgruntlement I feel toward this isn't because my music is unprofitable (since I don't do it with financial gain in mind), but that all this activity has literally not been worth my time.

10. Quite the contrary, I loose considerable amounts of money by producing music, especially in the last few years. I haven't made any money (not that I have really put myself out in the world) in quite a few years. It would have been a different story if the music that I had produced for two children's television programs was picked up by the network, or if bla bla bla, bla bla bla. The music that I tend to work on these days is not very commercial, and I just seem to outlay money for a new mic here and a preamp there, etc.

11. Bassmonsta

Bassmonsta Ultrasonic

I made $9.99 last week from leasing a beat :rofl:

12. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

I just sing for the birds... it has its rewards... :bleh:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

I have friends that are recording/mixing/mastering engineers of very high caliber. They have told me that this occupation is a dying one for the simple fact that people can make decent sounding recordings at home. Sure, big label people are still going to big names in LA or Nashville, but the artist that is on the way up has the ability to make music himself at a home studio where 20 years ago he would have to pay for the service. As for "making music" as a musician, that's on the slide too. In the 90s my band would pack venues charging a very high cover charge. Those days are OVER! The average age of the crowd back then was 25. Those folks don't go out anymore...I don't know what they do??? As for DJs my knowledge is limited as that term doesn't mean what it used too. From what I have seen, like it or not, the easiest way to make money in the music biz is to DJ/Karaoke weddings or do as I do and do solo acoustic shows.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. Peter Verity

Peter Verity Member

just an idea, but wouldnt it still have to be based on talent and fanbase combined no matter what? on a primary level you cant make money off music if you're no good at it, and even if you are good people have to hear your music. which is either playing live or building some sort of cloud following. and from bands ive spent time with that got big, a couple got mtv big, (more exposer better money deals, the greedy investors want to secure their revenue retrival) those bands did only one thing. They showed some label that they are good, showed them they have a following, and that got them their record deal. and it helped to have someone more intelligent than average be a friend to respresent you, giving that friend the title of manager let those labels think they are semi professional, or at least wanting to be. my main point being, that besides all these changes in the industry there is still basic footwork needed. i do agree it can be more difficult now but that doesnt change the fact that the basic process still applies.

and i must strongly disagree that only rich children make it in the music insdustry, do any of you listen to metal? how many of those thrashers were rich starting out? doesnt fit the lofestyle in my opinion. so despite the changes, despite the crap/good music out now it still takes work in the same basic ways at a fundamental level, hone your skill because you love doing it, and if you decide to goto a label bring someone you think is smarter than you so you dont get fucked :guru:

15. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

I supply music and karaoke for a living, 16 years and still going strong. At my peak I had 4 complete shows running. I have worked for decades in recording studios, on stage, and in live Sound, built audio video studios, all of which porvided an modest income.

However, I have made the most money as a disk jockey. I just play music and karaoke, nothing fancy.

I take pride at what I do. I learned what people want to hear, can sing well, have great timing and acquired an understanding of music and entertainment that you can't get any other way.

It is deeply satisfying to share in a family's special day. They will remember that day and the music I played for a long time. No two events are ever the same.

I am also compelled to create music nobody will probably never hear.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. foster911

foster911 Guest

This beautiful woman works for Steve Faoki as a MD/PD (Music Director/Program Director) with the salary of ($25,000 to $95,000+) in Vegas (Steve's dreamland). Better to ask her the secrets of Steve's successes in the music world. Then we can find our way with no doubt.

[​IMG]
    https://www.careersinmusic.com/music-director/

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  17. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Someone bought one of my rave/hard trance songs at 2,50 €, so I earnt something like 1,90 € from Bandcamp
    ISN'T THAT AWESOME!?

18. mastalogic

mastalogic Member

the only way you can actually make money from music is selling sample libraries to you guys!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  19. Mr. X

Mr. X Kapellmeister

Yes.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  20. Gwydion

Gwydion Kapellmeister

it's hard to sell music these days but if you're good you just need audience. Get you're music on Youtube, monetize it and expect about 1 to 5 US § per 1000 views. You need about a billion views to become a millionaire but we are far far away from having no chance to make money with music yet.YT is just an example but probably the best one today. Getting that much views is hard but it is simply possible. Selling records will fail imho.