Do you really make money from producing music? How much?

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, Jun 1, 2016.

1. foster911

foster911 Guest

First that question, then the salary ranges in the music world as a producer. Do you get enough money for the time and effort you consume? Is it your main job or just a hobby?

Really would be appreciated! Please say anything you'd like.

3. recycle

recycle Guest

you are so romantic!
    actually nobody makes money from producing music...

• Winner x 6
    • Agree x 3
    • Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Love it! x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Ask Steve whenever you see him next :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Obviously Faoki is the only one with earning potential

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. tidus1990

tidus1990 Producer

if ur in it for the money i would say find something else to do

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. The Revenant

The Revenant Platinum Record

You're wrong. All things being equal, today there is as many musicians/producers which are making a lot of money as in the past. The only difference is the number of those people who claim to be a musician/producer which has grown out of all proportion in the last two decades, mainly thanks to the plugins and Internet. So we have now a vast majority of untalented purported "producers/musicians"... and this majority, indeed, doesn't earn any money.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. foster911

foster911 Guest

I think all of us doing this (whatever you call) with this hope and expectation that would earn money from it someday. Without that, would be so disappointing.

9. The Revenant

Which is disappointing is to go in for your passion in the hope of earning money.
    The only things that can make you truly happy do not have a price, and therefore, no one can afford them.
    This is why billionaires continue to run after more and more money... because nothing, even the most expensive things, will ever make them happy.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. ClaudeBalls

ClaudeBalls Producer

If you want to make money from music go work for Apple, Google or Amazon. They figured out a way to make deals with the owners of the copyrights (labels) and basically give the music away for free to the public (and also completely cut out of the deal the people who actually made the music). But hey people love their streaming!!!! It is so convenient.

Apple is planning on closing the iTunes music store by the end of 2017. No more buying and owning music, just "renting" it.

In the "renting your music" world then musicians get NOTHING. People still pay for this service even if they think it is free. They have to pay for internet service, cell phone service, monthly music streaming service... all together much more than the average person spent on music every month back in the 80s and 90s when the industry was healthy. Silicon valley killed it for musicians. Thanks.

• Interesting Interesting x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. foster911

foster911 Guest

When I say A, people say B and when I say B, people say A.
    What should I do?

12. The Revenant

Ouch:woot:

13. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Definitely choose C :wink:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

15. The Revenant

And of course with this new business model musician will continue to make music for NOTHING, is that right?
    Powerful concept...
    :mad:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. wouala woualouf

wouala woualouf Platinum Record

Yeah, and then, you have guys like u-he or tone2, (who would gas all the evil 15yo pirates they would find), that sets prices around 200 euros *because they're worth it, and because we need to pay the 12 employees*, and expect ALL of these broken hobbyists to stop eating, and pay each ct of those 200 euros, even if they only spend 2 hours a week playing with music, and don't make and WILL NEVER make 1 euro/$, from their hobby.

200 euros for a product that will only work 3-4 years, a product for which they are given the right TO USE, without owning anything.
    200 euros for a product that will only work 1 or 2 windows versions (2-4 years), and whenever the new Windows version is released, if the app doesn't work, for 200 euros, the dev won't be forced to make it work, and the only solution will be paying for the newer version.
    actually, devs are forced to nothing. : someone will code the app, put it on a server, sell it 50'000 times, make 50'000 times the selling price. Easy huh? And why only one group of people would benefit from what Internet can give?

and under those conditions, these devs still expect the whole planet will PAY. No, it doesn't work like that.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • List
  17. foster911

foster911 Guest

• List
  18. ClaudeBalls

ClaudeBalls Producer

To the OP, if you "need" other people to tell you what to do and how to do it... I got some bad news for you, you are not going to survive the competition anyway. The only way to succeed at anything is to fully committed to you vision and keep pushing forward no matter what everyone else says.

The real answer to your question of how to make money in music is this. 1. Be incredibly talented at music. 2. Be incredibly talented at business.

Without #1, #2 won't help you. We are completely off the map in terms of what the business is now and where it is going. You have to be adaptable to the changes we are going through and you have to be able to see the opportunities to create deals to support a career. These days it is virtually impossible to survive making music without some sort of corporate partnership. Through advertising, branding, sponsorship and other types of deals you will have to find some way to make money off of large companies. This is the cold fact since they are the ones with all of the money. Regular people don't have any. If you take a moment and study who some of the people that have been successful in the music industry in the last 15 years you will see that most of them come from very wealthy families and had a lot of financial support in the beginning of their careers. It is a pretty discouraging if you are not a child of a multimillionaire.

Look for inspiration from people that have changed the business in the past. They always find new ways to open up innovative pathways forward. I would suggest studying the lives of people like James Brown, Prince, Brian Epstein, Andrew Oldham. The actual techniques they used will not be appropriate to our current situation but the philosophy and vision that they employed and how it relates to human nature will give you a clue of what needs to be done.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. JustinIrradiation

JustinIrradiation Member

Put on shows and sell merch (in addition producing)
    I made 100$ helping produce a rapper once... Most money I've made off music so far is performing it and selling merch

20. Wuji

Wuji Ultrasonic

Welcome to the internet.

Personally I think it's easier to make money being a DJ. It's strange, you can be a crappy DJ but even then you will get paid (crappy) money. You can be a decent musician and people will ask you to perform for free because you are an "artist".

I earn some money recording vocals and doing mixes. Nothing big and I don't earn real money from my music, even though I released some stuff. I'm not really in it for the money, but I wouldn't mind to make some more.

21. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual