Do you really know how to play with the notes or just pretending?

Discussion in 'Music' started by foster911, Jan 20, 2018.

1. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

btw, if u have the possibility buy & watch it https://www.udemy.com/practical-counterpoint/
    quite inspirative one :) and useful if u are in trance (for ex.)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  2. foster911

foster911 Guest

I can swear that the question I asked was the question of all AS's members but they've hesitated and lied in wait for someone like Foster to ask. Yes I agree 100%. People these days rely on mixing and forget that it's just for glorification, not authentic creation.:bow:

3. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

Funny you put it in those terms though. .. I have been planning to write a tome about music and musical inspiration meself..
    and at the risk of sounding stodgy and pretentious.. I would say this is the book musicians and producers of the ages have been waiting for..

I plan on calling it succinctly....

How to overthink yourself to death as a path to compositional grandeur

subtitle: or how to convince the masses you are a genius waiting in the wings
    to unleash their musical potential with magical bullshit..

sub-subtile: or..
    how to assume your way into calling out the latent creative fallacies of all who cross your path...

sub-sub-subtitle : well.. it was supposed to be a simple title.. and look what happened

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Best Answer
    I can do some reading and writing, but very limited.
    Yes i know what modes are, notes on the neck and such. But i will never pretend to "master" anything.

To me, the question is biased and impossible to answer : musicians LEARN how to play notes. Every day.

Even a so called "master" will learn every day. If a "master" say : "i really know how to play with the notes" ... he/she is not a master.
    So he/she is just pretending :wink:

On the other side, i advice you to listen to Allan Holdsworth words about scales, notes, harmony, chords...
    He is considered as a fusion/jazz rock "master" guitarist (by others than him).
    He knows the basics, but he just don't care about it. They are just tools.
    With those tools, he created his OWN world of music.

Listen to his wise and humble words :

And here is the music :

5. foster911

foster911 Guest

My mission in this forum is done. Bye!:bow::mates:

6. Peter Krav

Peter Krav Producer

Well it's a shame :( i have been working on the "contest song" thread you created some days ago, it's really sad foster, so what now ? You fooled me i can't believe it,:guru: so this was your mission?! I don't like this ...:sad: What does this even mean My mission in this forum, this is weird ... plz stay:mates:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  7. Recoil

Recoil Guest

8. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

you don't say.... !!???
    nick_cage_insane.jpg

9. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

What mission?

10. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Like language, I can both speak/play it fluently and write it in correct grammar and spelling. I might have a slight accent and phrasing though, but that's my musical ID.

11. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

you just need to listen to more Abba....

12. foster911

foster911 Guest

My pleasure buddy! I am shamefaced and compunctious for this stupid act . I also want my old fiend @Herr Durr to accept my humble apology. I really love this place.:bow::hug:

13. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

ah @foster911 you're an institution here anyway.. and I have my Mean Mr. Mustard moments ....

so help @Peter Krav finish what he started...

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. julianbre

julianbre Producer

Herr Durr, I believe he talks about learning to read music in a recent BBC interview or at the Oxford Union speech. I know he has mentioned it a few times in interviews when he is talking about the Big Jim Sullivan studio days. Don't have any other references off the top of my head.