Do you need VPN to Download from File Storages?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ted Smithton, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

Hi Guys,
    Should I be using a VPN when visiting the sister site and using Jdownloader to download warez from rapidgator? Cause I havent been bothering, I always use VPN for torrents nowdayz but I have a friend who don't even give a shit. FYI in Australia.
    Cheers!
    Teddy Boy

3. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

naaaaah

I only had one warning.. just saw it was from a year ago.. for a swimsuit calendar....

so... fack it m8

4. sisyphus

sisyphus Rock Star

I would. especially the way things are going in the states. net neutrality is about to be GONE. I got windscribe, have it on all the damn time, works great, have 92-96% speed, fuck them from knowing anything about me... or at least a little less. don't play fast and loose these days. it's not tom wheeler running the FCC these days... shit's about to get ugly, and you might not want to be on the other side of it when it does.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

Nice one buddy at least you were downloading something worthwhile! Lets hear it for the ladies!!

6. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

that depends on your location. for example, in Germany you should be using VPN.

7. Ted Smithton

Ted Smithton Producer

Thanks Saint! would you have any advice for the good citizens of Australia?

8. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

No, for simple downloading from 1-click-hosters that is not neccessary.
    As I stated numerous times (yeah I know nobody likes a wise guy) downloading is illegal, it's not actively prosecuted.
    Filesharing, aka torrent or edonkey/emule, on the other hand, is (because you allways upload stuff in the process and that's what is prosecuted). VPNs could be a way to avoid prosecution, but using a VPN does not equal anonymity.
    I suggest using a something like alldebrid, you get premium for all major 1 click hosters, plus you can let them something torrent for you and then download it conveniently from their server.

9. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

And why is that?
    As far as I know there was not one german citizen ever with an action for an injunction against because of only downloading.
    Furthermore, as soon as a filehoster gives your IP to law enforcement because of leeching it's reputation will be destroyed immediately.
    Also in germany internet providers can't give your data to law enforcement as easy, so just wait for it and sue the sh.. of your telco, you'll become a rich mofo. :wink:

• List
  10. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

i think it wouldn't hurt to use VPN is Australia, but it will definitely slow down your speed.
    Windscribe or PrivateInternetAccess would be good place to start.

good advice.

read torrentfreak.com it's full of news like that.

11. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

12. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

I read that site regularly. And sorry, there is not one article that states that german filehoster users got sued. All the articles with the big numbers are about torrents. As I said before, hosters and providers would only shoot themselves in the foot. Please correct me if I am wrong. :winker:

13. smys

smys Member

It depends on your localization. For example, in China, North Korea, and Iran, it is good that you also have the moral disregard of living this day as the last of your life.

14. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

You don't need to use VPN in Germany unless you don't upload and offer copyrighted material.

With P2P VPN is a must, beacause when you use P2P for downloading you grant access for downloading. And this way it's easy to make a honeypot for specialized firms working in behalf of rights owners. With these honeypots they investigate your IP easily and give them to the public prosecuter.

If you uploaded something it's easy to be sued in Germany these days. It's a mass phenomenon, because lawyers earn a lot of money just by threatening pople with being sued.

BTW.: Some years ago the biggest german Telco (Deutsche Telekom) sent me a letter saying that I must immediately stop downloading video and music files, as this was against their terms and conditions :)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List