Do you make money from music?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by samsome, Oct 22, 2021.

?

Do you make money from music?

1. No, I never made a penny

67 vote(s)
    32.5%
  2. Rarely

39 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. Sometimes

57 vote(s)
    27.7%
  4. Yes, its my full time job

43 vote(s)
    20.9%
  1. samsome

samsome Guest

I never made a penny

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Ghaleon777

Ghaleon777 Guest

I have a bandcamp where i post my shit... people seem to support what i do sometimes so, i cant complain... I never thought i would even make 5$ from a hobby.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. samsome

samsome Guest

how do people find your songs do u advertise or it started from just friends or something?

i once tried upload something on youtube but never went anywhere

5. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Rarely-
    for me it's a hobby, not a job. sometimes people donated a few euros on Bandcamp, and once i got 40€ in a remix competition, but as the other guy said: i would have never believed i'd make money out of it.
    now i've been a few years without touching a daw or a keyboard, as soon as i can i want to get back at it. i showed some demo to a few friends of mine, one a dj, they told me to look for labels or locals or dj which would be interested in my music... but whatever, i kind of envy people who can do this full time. i wish i learnt how to dj when i could!

6. Ghaleon777

Ghaleon777 Guest

I have a "friend" who as got a good youtube channel with 60.000 subs, so he posts my video along with my bandcamp page. Its quite useful and from there on its all about how good your music is.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

I kinda do? Did, anyways.
    I was working as a recording and mixing engineer at a small local studio. Currently jobless tho. And never made any money off my own music, aside from one instrumental arrangement for roughly 25 bucks.

8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

All of my money from music comes from mixing live performances. Corona killed that and soon I could be homeless. Great. I'm relying on welfare, currently. What a weird world. :(

Shame I'm not doing remixes any more. I might try doing that again. Or maybe releasing some more of my tracks on streaming services. Hmmm... there are options, and I'm torn apart about which ones to try.

• Like Like x 5
    • List
  9. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

I got around 45 bucks still uncollected on a label. They're like "if your royalties don't exceed 50 bucks please don't bother".

I don't care though, I barely remember making that song anyway (and it's not my genre at all).

So no, never made a buck with my music.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. The cleanest prophet

The cleanest prophet Ultrasonic

It’s my full time job, I compose music for advert sync’s and TV/film

I also receive royalties from a previous band I was in for songs I wrote, not huge amounts but a nice little earner now and again, they still get some airplay.

I should add the band I was in ended up with a legal battle with a label, and from that I kind of fell in to writing music for TV and stuff through people I’d met while in a band. I think that’s often how it works, a case of who you know and luck.

I also teach guitar in a music school 2 nights a week, I suppose that counts.

• Interesting Interesting x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  11. Ghaleon777

Ghaleon777 Guest

Forgot to mention... i do way more money doing mixes to metal/grindcore bands. 50-60 bucks per album or so, depends... But with Bandcamp all depends on you and you alone, its harder...
    So if you are looking to make some money and your projects got a good sound, maybe you can do mixes for other people instead, along with what you do in bandcamp. It wont make you rich, very far from it, but you can at least buy new strings, picks, or shit like that haha.

12. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

My music is too weird for commercial appeal.
    After some success in the 80's I ended up in a dry period and didn't eat for 3 days.
    Got a Canadian gov't job with a pension 1/2 paid for by the taxpayers :bow: to add to CPP and OAS.
    Just hit 65 and retired Oct. 8th with 3 pensions, my crappy condo payed for and no debts.
    And best of all, I didn't have to sell my soul.
    I worked with children with severe multiple disabilities for 21 years.
    That was my payback to society.
    Now I can afford to buy whatever music equipment I want and play weird shit for other stoned Canadians free.
    Cannabis is legal here :winker:
    Italy is supposed to legalize soon. I look forward to playing there for free pasta, pizza and vino:rofl:

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. farao

farao Rock Star

Music makes money from me

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

We don't make any money, but we do contribute because hardware manufacturers make some money. In addition, as musicians we are cultural bearers. We are the ones who take care of the feeling during the day and at night. We also make dance music so that healthy movement is ensured. With us musicians there is no boredom.

15. Deceptive

Deceptive Audiosexual

Yes , i make a lot of money ....

whenever i start singing, the people are ready to pay any price to make me stop again:beg::hahaha:

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. Plainview

Plainview Rock Star

Dont think I will ever make more than my 9-5 job so it didnt matter to me never pursued making money off music , it just a hobby that makes me happy and this is enough for me

17. Kaih

Kaih Member

Occasionally I do.
    Around 5€, once or twice a year, when the radio etc. plays are paid.
    Few euros and free beer when playing live.
    Nothing I would say a job although it takes even more time than a regular one.

18. mydemons

mydemons Member

you only charge 60bucks to mix an entire album?

19. Kuuhaku

Kuuhaku Platinum Record

I live from music, I'm a beatmaker/"mixing engineer", it was tiring first but after some time you learn how to do only what you like and try to "sell" yourself the less possible, I'm building my studio rn, make I make arround 500U$D per month, isnt much but Im kinda of living my dream so I feel really grateful for having this opportunity

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. 9zEA8wHJ7jWG

9zEA8wHJ7jWG Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  21. 9zEA8wHJ7jWG

9zEA8wHJ7jWG Guest