Do you leave a Mac Book Pro on charger?

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by MrAnonymous, Mar 18, 2015.

1. willdathrill

willdathrill Producer

yes i done this with my HP, and forgot to take battery out , now its done for.. but i keep mine plugged in all the time now.. :dont:

2. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

So here's a quick rundown of a dozen household appliances and electronics you should unplug to save both energy and money:

Desktop computers
    Laptop computers
    Televisions
    DVD players and VCRs
    Modems
    Cable TV boxes
    Cordless phones
    Stereos and radios
    Coffeemakers
    Lamps
    Toasters
    iPods and electronic gadgets sapping energy from a plug-in transformer

Source

3. smartlad

smartlad Member

Facepalm*

You've completely missed the point of the op and what Krameri was getting at.

4. fleschdnb

fleschdnb Kapellmeister

It wont really matter. By the time you need to upgrade to youer next MBP the battery will still be fine.

Ideally, you want to keep Lithium type batteries at 50 to 80%. But again, with a laptop battery and the upgrade cycle times, it wont matter.

If you are really worried about it, simply leave it plugged in when not in use, and when you are using it, just unplug it, let is drain out, then plug it back in. At some point, it becomes an inconvenience.

But sinwwave was 100% correct. to STORE a Lithium type rechargable, you want to leave them at around half full. I have had Lithiom 18650's (which is what is used inside laptop batteries most times) sit fully charged for over a year un-used. When I test them, they are at around 70% and work fine.

Mac QC's well, so, you will not have to worry about this, unless there is a defect in oyur battery.

In my opinion.

5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

:break: :rofl: :bleh: :rofl: :bleh:

6. dim_triad

dim_triad Producer

ok wait... my battery (in my 2012 Macbook MD101ll/A) is NOT a lithium-ion... its a Lithium Polymer... whats difference with that one?

I've been under impression that it is good to only charge it once its been fully discharged... so thats what I do... I leave it plugged into wall... and once it hits 100%, only then will I unplug it if I want to use it away from outlet... then once it hits 0% (and shuts down during use) will I plug it back into charger...

is this wrong?

7. dim_triad

dim_triad Producer

Mr. fuckn Bean... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

so funny *yes*

8. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

Most new battery powered devices trickle power when they get full, they hit 100%, and drain till 96% and repeat. This helps prolong the battery's life.

With that being said, its still a good idea to let the battery drain completely every once in a while.

I had a 2008 HP laptop which didnt trickle and I left it on the charger for 3 years, the battery could only hold 30% of its original charge.

My next laptop was a 2012 Sony Vaio which did trickle, its been on a charger for 99.9% of its life, and it can hold 90% of its original charge nearly 3 years later.

9. MrAnonymous

MrAnonymous Producer

Apparently your suppose to never let it hit 0, i read 35 to 50% max is the lowest you should go.

10. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Undocumented fact about lifespan of Li-Ion and Li-Po batteries is that charge rate also affects available capacity. Most laptop batteries are charged 0.3-0.6C, very high rate - 30-50W. This ensures fast charge (3-4 hours) but negatively affects shelf life. Idea here is to limit the charging current to match 0.1C max, that is usually 6-8W therefore 12-hour charging. Unfortunately, most laptops does not offer the user to change charge rate, however for HP Elitebooks there's a workaround with AC adaptor resistor mod. It's not mentioned anywhere on the net, least I didn't find it - had to experiment to find out.
    Since July 2012, I've charged HP 2530p at least 100 times with 16 hour cycle (full cycles). Results? Only 3% capacity is gone. If I compare that to Lenovo W500 charged in regular manner, again 100 times, 25% capacity is lost in that case.

My guidelines for using li-ion are:
    - Discharge rate should not be higher than 0.2C
    - Charge rate should not be higher than 0.1C
    - Cut-off voltage is defined as 4.2V per cell, but 4.1V increases shelf life by a lot
    = Use the battery within 15 - 85%
    - Ambient temperature should be within 0 - 40 degrees centigrade. Cells degrade faster in high temperatures.
    - Once every 30-40 partial cycles, perform full cycle (full charge, full discharge - 4.2V - 2.75V per cell) to calibrate internal PCB. Need not to be performed with RAW cells

Didn't know that Mac Books have non-removable batteries. Probably next on my list why not to choose Apple. *yes*