do you know some good midi drum breaks ?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by wasgedn, Feb 1, 2019.

1. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

3. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Make your owns,maybe ?
    Slice,cut,edit...

You will use which sampler,which DAW ?

When I want to use some samples from a drum break I slice it in Studio one's battery sampler,Impact XT . For me it's easier than making that in NI Battery.

If you want ready to use midi breaks,try "best Service Drums Overkill" for Kontakt , it's oldskool but ...killer.

Or try "Heavyocity DM307" for Kontakt,some interesting samples.

Or Spectrasonics Stylus RMX,amazing library.

And if you want raw drumbreaks in audio and then edit in your sample go to "junglebreaks.co.uk" but oddly I can't access to this site while I'm writing these lines.On this site you'll find all the classics drumbreaks,Amen,Apache,etc..

4. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Yep, if you look standard MIDI-files those usually suck. Better make loops to rex2, import to Stylus RMX and play with chaos and time designer, much more fun than editing single notes:yes:

5. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

im a oldskool anti all dude# :)
    im on ableton...simpler and stuff...rmx i kno...great input thx guys i will check that out

you wont blv it now but i asked for someone who asked me....lmao
    but i thought it could be handy...just like the mate , which asked me i guess..

i kno standart midi kacka sucks big time...

i blv a amen break cant redrawn by midi...not like og drummer did it...am i wrong ?

i was searching for that one devine drummer...he teaches in london..cant remember name...heritage from afrika...this dude at stick glide belong a dozen other things when he play..i saw it once on arte...patrice und max herre were at his place and did a quik chat and play

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  6. Who Me

Who Me Producer

7. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

wait rmx use rex.......good to kno :hillbilly:

8. Haliax

Haliax Guest

whosampled reveals a treasure trove of stolen breaks. I use it a lot when listening to a track and get hit by an overwhelming sense of deja vu. 9/10 it turns out to be a funk break I remember from days of old.

James Brown's "Funky Drummer" is a classic

9. Haliax

Haliax Guest

Led Zeppelin gets broken up and used a lot too. Bonham inspired generations of drummers and drum and bass tracks

10. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

jaman...:cheers::goodpost:

11. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

12. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

Kontakt can play .Rex too,and I belive NI battery,but not sure.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Ableton also has pretty good audio to MIDI translation on drums, may be a good starting point. A little EQ tweaking on original file to get all the necessery nuances to show up.

14. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

why i didnt think bout that ..yep

15. DARDARDAR

DARDARDAR Newbie

Roland made an emulation of his old TR808 and TR909 ;) . I like Batery 4 and Addictive drums.

16. robotboy

robotboy Producer

There's at least 300 releases on the sister site with MIDI files in them. You'll have to do some digging :wink:

17. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

has it round robin ?

sample robot has round robin he he

18. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

addictive drums maybe the only one here , which can create a proper drum break....or toontrack.....TR808 and TR909 alone not really

but ableton can do it too...

19. G String

G String Rock Star

It's always struck me as odd that there are so few (good) MIDI drum resources. One would think MIDI files for drums would be everywhere, covering all sorts of styles. And yet......finding any that are good seems real hard.

I have spent a lot of time on trying to find good drums, in any mix of MIDI and one shot samples, adding tops etc. It's never properly satisfied my need though. I'm not a good drummer and could really do with some help. I have found the following helpful, though not brilliant:

1) Toontrack and Superior drummer et al have hundreds of thousands of midi files of various sorts. Even if not using those products, the MIDI files are worth having. Even though they are a bit flat and....err....MIDI.....they are all broken into folders by type and give you a good start on most anything. The MIDI libraries have all been through the sister site..... Funk, Blues, Reggae, Urban, whatever. A word of advice - make RARs of the libraries so that if you have to move them around in bulk it's less painful (1 million midi files take a long, long time to move around hard drives otherwise, and defrags or file searches can take forever.......)

2) There have been a few books on sister site on drum programming. Also old manuals for drum machines often contain libraries of drum patterns (images) - old stylee.

3) Stylus RMX lets you drag and drop a MIDI pattern for the current pattern you have in Stylus - it outputs a 'staircase' of ascending notes in MIDI which trigger the next slice/sample in the beat pattern. The neat thing being that you can reorder them in your MIDI editor.

And remember, as RMX is Rex based, you can use Recycle to convert any of your drumloop samples to Rex and then use them in RMX......and then re-order them using above method. Course, this is all slicing loops, really, not quite "proper" MIDI drums. And Stylus is a bit clunky, so any old decent slicer tool on drum loops does much the same. I'm not sure whether Stylus helps or hinders :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  20. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

mono pack did learn me that the hard way....also hard to delete...

21. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

which again was THE drum programming bible again ?