Do You Know Good Sax Music?

Discussion in 'Conversations About Good Music' started by Alraun, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Alraun

Alraun Member

I would like to listen to some more saxophone music.
    Do you know any good musician or a band?
    I give you an example of my likings.
    Here's an awesome street track by Dub FX feat. Mr. Woodnote.
    I love that kind of sax solos.[​IMG]

3. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Good sax players? Good god, man, you are asking opinions about an instrument that has a lot of history. Could be a long thread. My favorite was Michael Brecker. He passed away a few years ago, and I miss hearing new things from him. My list mostly has jazz players, with a couple exceptions. John Coltrane's music is some of the most spiritual ever recorded. You might start out with his ballads and melodic stuff before moving on to "A Love Supreme". Wayne Shorter, most famous as part of Weather Report. Gerry Mulligan was a baritone player in the 50's. Love the sound of a baritone sax. One of the most recorded players in pop is Tom Scott. R&B---a man who was from just up the road from me-Rusty Bryant ("Night Train") James Brown's man-Maceo Parker. Just explore. Current guys-Bill Evans(not the piano player) I could go on and on and on and on............https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-sr3vczKFk here's a little Weather Report (Wayne Shorter-soprano sax). :mates: Post script....what they are doing in this video would be easier with an electronic wind instrument (EWI). If you have any experience with reed instruments (I played clarinet) they are a blast. That sax guy was heavily influenced by the Ska style. Post post script. There are only two kinds of music, good (10%) and bad (90%). :drummer:

4. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Producer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z24o9qyPIlE​

5. beatroot

beatroot Producer

Kenny G,Grover Washington Jr,Tom Scott and the LA Express.

6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

7. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

IMO---KennyG has excellent technical skills, but his style (labeled here as "smooth Jazz") gives jazz a bad name. Grover is cool. He played on Rolling Stones records, too, but they never gave him credit. I have seen in person over the years: Michael Brecker with Herbie Hancock, with Paul Simon, and with the Brecker Brothers. I saw Weather Report several times. Stan Getz was a chain smoker on stage(he died of lung cancer) and had the best most unique tone. I saw Mr. Evans with Chick Corea. Clarance Clemmons was not a great technichian, but played that powerful rock with Bruce S.. David Sanborne plays modern mostly funky stuff.The Art Ensemble of Chicago always had some way out sax (I bet there are some good samples to be had from their music. lol). Oh the memories......

8. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Stan Getz, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane. Not a big fan of Kenny G, it's a little too smooth for me. :rofl:

Also it depends on what kind of sax you're looking for. There are some downtempo songs that utilize saxophones, rnb has them as well. Or do you mean more sax centric music where they are the main instrument as opposed to accompaniment?

9. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Alraun,

All the GREAT Saxophonists cited above are ALL Legends of this Instrument ! *yes* :wink:

You can also listen to some more 'modern' and younger (in age !) like 'David Sanborn'. His works with 'Marcus Miller' (on the Bass) are well-known... *yes*

And some also forget a 'Sexy Lady' in the List : The 'divine' 'Candy Dulfer', which Sound and Style is relatively close of this of 'David Sanborn' (in my opinion ! *yes* ).
    She has also worked with 'Prince' (or 'The Artist' !!! :rofl: ), as well as with 'Dave Stewart' ('Eurythmics') among others... *yes*

For reference :

"Lily Was Here". I'm pretty sure that you've already heard that Song in the past... *yes*

'Kenny Garett' is also a Great Saxophonist ! :wink: He has played and toured, among others, with the more than Legendary :bow: 'Miles Davis' :bow: during his last Recordings and Live Performances... :sad:

10. smoothripple

smoothripple Kapellmeister

I am glad Stan Getz was mentioned. He is my favorite.

The first time I heard & liked sax was on John Mayall's The Turning Point album (1969). It had Johnny Almond on tenor & alto sax. Incredable!

11. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

How about sanborn?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcODQviugjc

(btw, I don't listen to much sax music)

12. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Yes, definitely Stan Getz, but there are just so much more.
    All the countless Rythm and Blues heroes in Bands like Tower of Power or even Kool and the Gang, whose names I don't know... lolz

13. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Almost all my favorites have been mentioned already, but I'll add mister Maceo Parker he is between Funk (I mean real funk) and Jazz, he is the "Master" of "Sweety" Candy Dulfer (BTW there is a fantastic documentary where they talk and play together).
    He played with James Brown and a lot more, he have his own records.

And there is one that really plays close to the style in the video: Dick Parry (85% of his carrier is with Pink Floyd).

In a different genre, very into roots, there is Cedric Brooks who's a reggae sax player with strong African influences. He is a very good composer too and have influenced a lot of musicians.
    One of his best records is "United Africa"

Finally I know that Wayne Shorter AKA Mr Gone has already been mentioned here, but the way he plays soprano sax goes directly to my heart, so I invite you to have a listen to some of his tracks.
    He haven't "only" been part of Weather Report. Before that he was already recording with Miles Davis, participating in some of the most influential jazz records of the 60's.
    John Coltrane proposed Wayne Shorter to Miles Davis to replace him when he left the band in 1960 this just say a lot of this guy.

Man I almost forget: THANK YOU FOR THIS FANTASTIC VIDEO It's really good what these guys do. :wink:

14. Alraun

Alraun Member

Thanks so much indeed guys. I have to check all those vids and hints. Will take some time.
    Yes Algae, in my own naivety i didn't think i would open such a big barrel - as we say in my country, when the output gets bigger than expected. :rofl:

I already know some of the mentioned musicians. Dick Parry, of course. :wink:
    I love him playing with Pink Floyd.
    But it seems there's no other Parry CD available. :dunno:
    And Dave Stewart. Awakens old memories. :wink:
    I even own a CD of Maceo Parker, which i had forgot. Thanks for reminding me :wink:
    Charlie Parker, Stan Getz, Miles Davis, John Coltrane - Loooong time not heard.
    Have to listen to their stuff anew. :wink:
    :mates:
    :wink: *yes*
    It's that kind of dirty FX Sax, which fascinates me in particular.
    Here's another track from these guys. The sax is starting at 5:03.

15. Alraun

Alraun Member

Btw. there's even a Loopmasters soundset available by Dub FX:

[​IMG]

16. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

I love dub, frito's music is a lot of the time slanted towards that dub sound.