Do you know about Outsider Music?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by GabsIT, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

My two cents:

The one and only Hermeto Pascoal!

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Thank me later.

3. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

Outsider microtonal musicians lol

• List
  4. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Piano Destruction Ritual

Jimi Hendrix destroy his guitar

5. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

In the interview Hans Keller feels that a regression to childhood in the music of Pink Floyd is a negative, that their music is repetitive and anything louder than a fart is grating and confrontational to the listener. He was a dick, not a very astute critic and I'm not sad that he's long gone and dead as a door nail. Long live Syd!

[​IMG]

• Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

This is my contribution to this thread. Bassdude challenged some friends with the four chord structure to do something, anything.

Listen to FUG In Love.wav by Superliquidsunshine on #SoundCloud
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/UxETC

7. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Great, I especially liked the end with the laughter.

8. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Insane laughter:rofl:

9. Tele_Vision

Tele_Vision Platinum Record

I think I found some 'outsider' music:

10. Tele_Vision

and another pioneer of outsider music

11. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

punk is not outsider, also musical covers or memes neither, inclusive all low quality hip hop could be outsider too (if punk is included)

hip hop meme

terrible :/ but so many views

the background sounds like outsider music or so different, cool jhip hop

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  12. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

13. gimmechords

gimmechords Member

Sometimes I think that's what I'm making.

14. gimmechords

gimmechords Member

I think this really hits it on the head. Personally, I am aware of the traditions I'm breaking from, but I also still feel like an outsider, more so because I don't actually know anyone lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

Honestly I like that meme one, but I know is terrible (as everyone else) "-this song is literal dog water and i still cant stop listening to it
    -You know you're down bad when this cancerous song gives you nostalgia
    -How do I explain to my grandkids that this was my era of music "

I guess it's the uniqueness style of the female singer part mixed with the dance or the lyrics?? In general I dislike so much the male rapers voice in asian edm/ experimental music. As example I like this song so much but when the guy with the heavy autotune and stupid lyrics get into, dissolves all the magic but this is the good and bad of asian music, most musician are just interpreters subject to very strict contracts, anyway this also generate other possibilities has having amazing composers or producers with so many musicians and singers where to chose.

Cifika started from experimental moving slowly into pop

Soul-Kpop-khip hop?

• List
  16. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

FC ST. Pauli 3:0 You'll never walk alone

World's Best Football Ultras Chants

17. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

Industrial outsider?

Einstürzende Neubauten is a German experimental music group, originally formed in West Berlin in 1980. The group is currently composed of founder members Blixa Bargeld and N.U. Unruh, long-time contributor Alexander Hacke, plus Jochen Arbeit, and Rudolf Moser, who both joined the line-up in 1997
    This album/video is specially experimental

18. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

The Tear Garden is a psychedelic/experimental/electronic band, formed by Edward Ka-Spel of The Legendary Pink Dots and cEvin Key of Skinny Puppy in 1985 after Key served as a sound engineer on tour in Canada for Ka-Spel. An EP, The Tear Garden, was released that same year.

The Tear Garden - You and Me and Rainbows

The Temple Of Psychick Youth. Psychic TV (at that point Genesis and Paula P 'Orridge, Sleazy Christopherson, Geoff Rushton, Alex Freguson with help from David Tibet and Monte Cazzaza) would have never been a conventional band.

Temple Of Psychick Youth Eden 3 EDIT

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Tele_Vision

Yeah I get that and I was aware of 'outsider' music a long time ago. I'm just making a point that these people aren't actually 'outsiders'. IMHO 'outsiders' are artists that say and make music that goes against the current narrative and agenda of society's controllers. Having a mental disorder and banking on pots and pans while screaming in Cantonese does not an outsider make. That's just a passing curiosity. but I also realize this is my own personal definition. All music that isn't censored is filtered..just my take on this topic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. GabsIT

GabsIT Producer

"Punk They typically produced short, fast-paced songs with hard-edged melodies and singing styles, stripped-down instrumentation, and often shouted political, anti-establishment lyrics. Punk embraces a DIY ethic; many bands self-produce recordings and distribute them through independent record labels.

Outsider art is art by self-taught or naïve art makers. Typically, those labeled as outsider artists have little or no contact with the mainstream art world or art institutions. In many cases, their work is discovered only after their deaths. Often, outsider art illustrates extreme mental states, unconventional ideas, or elaborate fantasy worlds.

The term outsider art was coined by art critic Roger Cardinal in 1972 as an English synonym for art brut (French: [aʁ bʁyt], "raw art" or "rough art"), a label created by French artist Jean Dubuffet to describe art created outside the boundaries of official culture; Dubuffet focused particularly on art by those on the outside of the established art scene, using as examples psychiatric hospital patients and children."

I don't meant you are wrong, usually is really messy to put mental boundaries to abstract things as to define where a beach finish into the ocean or into the land, while we all agree in what it's a beach in a general scope.

I pointed out that Syd Barrett astronomy domain to me was outsider, his style of playing sounds fragile, insecure, also is like a dark childish song, or a fantasy about traveling around the planets, to me that fragility, shyness, naive, pure, childish is what is interesting from outsider music, and I guess many art works in their pure form are just like that but then got refined, standardized or radio friendly and lost part of all that pureness.

This is also a rare case, Alberto Spinetta also self taught music but his compositions had somewhat complex harmonies and some of his albums were cataloged as Jazz with nice musician and production teams, while many of the song and lyrics are still kiddish (while other super deep), also the rhythm and harmony is break in favor of the lyrics as in many outsider music. He is also so beloved in Argentina that his birthday is celebrated as the National Musician's Day.

I had the opportunity of met him in person many times, he was a charming, simple and a charismatic person.

The swallows of Plaza de Mayo, they watch people, from the same tree, and when summer comes, the city is covered with flowers, they come and go ... They leave in winter they come back in summer, the swallows of Plaza de Mayo, and if you observe them, you will understand that they only fly in freedom

Las golondrinas de Plaza de Mayo,
    observan a la gente,
    desde el mismo árbol,
    y al llegar el verano,
    la ciudad se cubre de flores,
    vienen y van...

Se van en invierno,
    vuelven en verano,
    las golondrinas de Plaza de Mayo,
    y si las observas,
    comprenderás que solo vuelan en libertad...

Invisible - Las golondrinas de plaza de mayo

Invisible - Pleamar de Águilas
    Lyrics breaking rhythm and harmony (lyrics are inspired in Carlos Castaneda books)

Invisible - El Anillo del Capitan Beto
    This is one is the most popular and also enigmatic

Luis Alberto Spinetta - Durazno Sangrando

Luis Alberto Spinetta (23 January 1950 – 8 February 2012), nicknamed "El Flaco" (Spanish for "the skinny [one]"), was an Argentine singer, guitarist, composer and poet. One of the most influential rock musicians of Argentina, he is regarded as one of the founders of Argentine rock, considered the first incarnation of Spanish-language rock.[1] Born in Buenos Aires in the residential neighbourhood of Belgrano, he was the founder of iconic rock bands including Almendra, Pescado Rabioso, Invisible, Spinetta Jade, and Spinetta y Los Socios del Desierto. In Argentina January 23rd is celebrated as "Dia Nacional del Músico" (National Musician's Day) in honor of Spinetta's birth

Spinetta devoted himself fully to his own music. In his lyrics, there are influences of multiple writers, poets and artists like Arthur Rimbaud, Vincent van Gogh, Carl Jung, Sigmund Freud, Friedrich Nietzsche, Michel Foucault, Gilles Deleuze, Carlos Castaneda and Antonin Artaud, who has his name in the album Artaud.