do you have any tricks how to balance out the tracks in terms of volume?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by stav, Jun 18, 2024.

1. stav

stav Member

do you have any tricks how to balance out the tracks in terms of volume?

i find myself going back in circles changing the most important track then changing all the others too etc

3. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

How about you decide on something that gets you 97% there and the rest you fix with volume automation? Automation is key to getting the last 3% that you can't achieve with fader juggling.

4. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Save what you have as a starting point, then turn down the volume of all tracks..

Bring the kick up to -18db, add bass a few db below, somewhere around -21db. Bring up the instruments again one at a time. Then if it all sounds good, you should have the volume somewhere around -12db give or take.
    Then you can save the mixdown and begin mastering.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

if you are producing your own track, the best, older trick in the book is paying for mixing service and focus on producing until you slowly develop a sense of how to make things balanced. it doesnt have to be expensive, you can get away with 20bucks mixing service these days.

a trick that make everything balanced when you have no idea how to do it.. basically doesn't exist, it's more like a developed sense of listening where you know how loud things suppose to be in your monitoring environment, predicting how it will blend with other elements, what should be more treble-ish or bassy and when they all summed together you get in the ballpark of pretty much balanced mix. subtractive EQing also helps with learning how to balance. After 200 tracks or so, one can do it just by heart without any out of the way metering or anything. You just know, simply by listening to it the first time. It will get better from there. if someone said there's a trick to get quick balance, they probably lying. It's one of the hardest thing in music production, and it's the core of everything. There's even a job for it, a mixing engineer and the best ones bring home millions of dollars in royalty for it.

6. Bitmonkey

Bitmonkey Producer

Genre varies but for most genres of electronic music then mix everything from your kick - I prefer to have my kick at -12 and mix off there which usually gives me an end track of around the -5 to -6db which is perfect to send to my mastering engineer as a final pre-master WAV. I make techno and hard techno mainly but house, trance and most other dance music still has the kick as the loudest element.

The key thing to get used to when you first start producing and doing mixdowns start is load up a WAV of a similar genre well known track that you really like (ideally of the same key and BPM) gain that down so it's a similar volume to your own track and use that as a reference track to compare the various elements against your own track. You can also then try and get the EQ of your own material similar to the reference track.