Do you guys make your own cables?

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Valnar, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

I'm starting to question the pricing of audio cables compared against the components you have to solder together.
    Do you guys buy them or opted for making your own?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

i repair some cables with new plugs.
    But when i compared quality parts to the final product ... i stopped making them.
    We can't compete with companies and their truck loads volumes :wink:

I try to buy well known BUT NOT over hyped brands.
    Like Cordial.

Of course, this doesn't apply to HIGH END cables : you can make them with quality parts for less than market price.
    I speak about "regular" usage cables.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  4. No Doz

No Doz Producer

i usually make my own. better quality cable + connectors at a more comfortable price point. i really like the flexibility of making custom lengths and find that it helps a lot with my cable management. i figure that lowering the overall distance that an audio signal needs to travel within my signal path doesn't hurt either

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Yes. At some point it was because building them is just the most cost efficient way of doing things (specialy when you need to build a lot of them) but considering the price of components nowadays and the fact that i very rarely need new cables, there isn't much to gain anymore on that aspect comparing similar quality pre-built stuff where i live. It's cheaper to build them, but not THAT much cheaper on small numbers.

The advantage that still remains to me however, is custom size. Most pre-made cables come on standard sizes like 1m, 3m, 15m, etc. I'll be damned if i have to buy an extra 1m cable to extend a 3m that is just a tiny bit too short for what i need.

There are other desirable things like repairability, custom wiring, special components, weird connector combinations, which are easier to get with home made cables.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. clone

clone Audiosexual

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Yep. I love soldering. I've been repairing and making cables since I was about 11. I'll give ya one tip if you decide to build your own. Don't bother going for gold plated connectors as they make no difference. As long as the connection is sound, that's all that matters.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. clone

clone Audiosexual

if you use those George L's instead of regular Neutriks, there is no soldering.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

No, I don't make my own cables, never have. I don't like the smell of solder. The cables that I use to hook up my hardware in the studio (which isn't much any more, a couple of compressors, a pair of mic preamps and of course my monitors) are all connected by Vovox which I picked up bit by bit for pennies on the dollar, grabbing them when I I had the opportunity to do so. I'd never be able to really duplicate the quality and prices that I paid for them by building them myself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Yes. Can't go wrong with Neutrik, Mogami, George L's, etc. I got a digitally controlled soldering station when I was younger, so I was "raised well".

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I used to, when I had to patch in a whole set of gear via a patchbay, and then mixer's insert points etc.

It's a handy thing to be able to do, but you have to invest in good quality connectors and cable so from money standpoint you might not save that much.

So if you need a proverbial shitton of perfect length cables then yes, it's worth the effort. Otherwise probably not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Kluster

Kluster Audiosexual

I buy good cables when they're on sale.

13. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I only soldered one time. One burnt was enough :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

yes, I always need something fancy like non-standard-length [balanced stereo + microphone + power] all in one cable, ability to choose connectors and cable length, redo or tweak them later is priceless,
    for long-term installations I always go for gold-plated connectors as they don't oxidate over time,
    often pre-made cables are either mediocre quality (at reasonable price) or the connectors are glued, they're alright for patch cables or guests, but not for me
    :chilling:

15. Ariel Gonzalez

Ariel Gonzalez Platinum Record

unless there is like a super fragile soldering needed, i usually make them. if you know were to buy the parts (cable, parts, tools), in the long run it can be cheap to make them

16. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Never have bothered myself but if you use a lot of cables, really abuse them or need special cables all the time it's probably a good idea. Only you know how your cost/benefit analysis breaks down. Anyone can learn to solder though. At least for cables. Bad (hot) soldering can kill electronics easily but not cables.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Absolutely. I've made all my cables except ADAT opticals. ;) It's much cheaper and better quality if you choose Mogami or Klotz (my choice) and some good mid quality plugs (not Neutrik, unless you make cables for your $2000 HQ monitors, but quality of cables makes much more difference. It all depends on your soldering skills, too, of course.

18. Valnar

Valnar Rock Star

That's so interesting. Apparently you can find soldering Irons that work with electronics for 10€ on Amazon, damn have times changed. I'm really tempted to do this but will probably postpone for now.

• List
  19. Longman

Longman Member

You can kill delicate electronics with heat. That is true, but heat sinking and an adjustable iron are your friends. You can just use pointy nosed pliers with a rubber band around the handles to sink they heat away from the fragile parts. That means putting the pliers between the wire you are soldering and the business end.
    Sometimes a quick dab (with liquid solder on the tip) with a very hot iron is better than a prolonged solder process. ICs can be done with a swipe and you can practice by picking up old electronic circuit boards out of dump masters. You just have to look out for hypodermics and sharp edges. It does make for an exciting life.
    In 1972 John Deacon, bass player of Queen, made a 1 watt recording amp for Brian May, from a dump-master circuit and a 9v battery.
    It cost virtually $0. Some of the most seminal tracks in music history were made using the 'Deacy' amp in the studio.
    Plus one for we scroungers.
    https://guitar.com/features/gallery/the-story-of-brian-mays-deacy-amp/

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  20. BagelShaggerz

BagelShaggerz Platinum Record

Ya'll are a handy bunch, I'll tell ya h'wut. Down here in Arlen, Texas I have only thought about solderin' propane accessories but only for my headphone tool gear, heh. /unHank

Is it actually worth my time to solder 2 headphones I have which broke? It seems I need to connect one side of the wires by the headphone to the cable is all on both headphones, same problem. I'm a complete noob with no experience in this other than thinking about it as a posibly cheaper alternative that may teach me a new skill yet at the same time I feel as thought maybe I'm better off the guys from the manufacturer take care of it because they are pro's that repair these thinks day in and out around the clock.

I just also feel I may royally fuck both of my production heaphones which to me, both cost a lot so I don't want to just flush like 5 hunnid dollars down the shitter and piss on top of it, know what I mean? If I go the route of soldering myself & I do mess 'em up then wouldn't that just make me revert to plan A by default and sending them back to manufacturer only to find out the damages I added on top of the damages that were already there would drive the cost of repair so much higher only for me to realize the cluster fuck I had gotten myself into only to realize I should just but a brand new pair because I have been out a pair for like 5 months already and the vain on my neck is starting to grow it's own neck because of it.

21. BagelShaggerz

BagelShaggerz Platinum Record

This is exactly the type of info I'm asking about, thanks. So yeah, fuck that I decided I would fuck my headphones up beyond saving if I soldered myself so I may just send them back for repair or buy a new pair. Not sure I have anymore warranty on them after all this time.