Do you consider yourself an artist? [POLL]

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ( . ) ( . ), Jul 5, 2016.

?

Do you consider yourself and artist?

1. Yes

75 vote(s)
    73.5%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    26.5%
  1. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

I guess the reason why I'm asking this question is because recently I've been evaluating myself and my skills, my way of life and what I'm interested in and have since come to realise that I am definately not the 9-5 works really hard every day type of guy at all (at least not since school days). I've never done a degree and have never really done things the normal way...

Not that I'm saying you need to have an unconventional life style to be an artist, but I feel like the way I am defines what I am... and I am definately not normal to say the least lol...

I used to be that type of guy that denied the fact that I was an 'artist', maybe because I just didnt want to seem like I was trying to be something different. But the reality is I did end up doing things very differently(without going into specifics). Looking back at the decisions I've made I have since come to realize that what I'm into and what I like is art... and I appreciate culture that no one else around me really notices or cares about and while everyone takes it for granted, I take it seriously...

So I suppose I genuinely do consider myself an artist now...

What about you guys?

3. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

it's not a matter of 9 to 5, or how skilful you are.
    you can be a (music) artist and work only with machines, or samples.
    I think it's in the genes.
    You have a message to tell the world by expressing yourself,
    and you won't stop, regardless of how successful or not you are or will be.

there's being an artist, and there's the music industry.
    these are two different things.

it doesn't mean that a true artist won't make it,
    nor that every person who make it is an artist.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. lluisxvi

lluisxvi Ultrasonic

Artist
    A person who creates art.
    Art
    Art is a diverse range of human activities in creating visual, auditory or performing artifacts (artworks), expressing the author's imaginative or technical skill, intended to be appreciated for their beauty or emotional power.

It is pretentious, to say, I am an artist IMHO

5. statik

statik Audiosexual

lets see... depression: check, years of drug abuse: check, fucked up relationships: check, spending 20 hours a day fiddling with gear and notes and making noise: check, moment of retirement is death: check.

oh yeah i'm definately an artist... or an arsetits

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 4
    • Winner x 4
    • Love it! x 2
    • Creative x 2
    • List
  6. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Unfortunately – or, for better or worse – yes.

It's not a choice, it's one's nature; always a gift, but sometimes a curse.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  7. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Oh crap he's back.

8. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I think, therefore, I am.

No. Wait.

I am who you say I am.

...No

I am who I say I am.

As in:

I'm just me.
    The rest is on them.

We are all artists in some shape or form. Even the mundane can be made glorious.

It's fortunate that some of us find our craft to even begin to master.
    Some of us don't even know to look to begin.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. SyNtH.

SyNtH. Platinum Record

Everyone is an artist, whether they consider themselves or not. True creativity however is something not most people have. To quote Picasso "Good artists copy, great artists steal". By the time i was born many of the musical concepts have already been founded. You end up through your journey of creating art from constantly stealing, and over time your own imprint slowly starts to shine through these stolen ideas. Its a constant evolution and feedback loop, an iterative process. Your opinions of those ideas start to become established within the music, and then they finally become your own. Obviously you stop where you want, each artifact you produce is literally a state of an ever changing evolution in your ideas or expression. Even though art is subjective blah blah blah... but you get the main message.

Abstract solutions to problems are what i would consider the most appealing trait of being an artist. The expression and intent for each part of an artwork to me is something i am intentionally trying to evoke to myself, the creator of art as well as the reciever. I say reciever because obviously this carries across all mediums of art. Creating something from the billions of variables that you have access to and manipulating them in a specific way to create awe or any emotion is an amazing feeling. I feel like experimentation and lack of fear of boundaries is the only way to explore these mixtures of variables, which is something i aim to do with every project i do.

10. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

That proves it.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Hey @( . ) ( . ) .. I could have written your post word for word for your feelings about how you percieve the world around you for it is a mirror of my own. And yes, I know plenty of folk that balance a "normal" lifestyle, family, PTA, stuff like that who are great artists. Much has to do with your upbringing and the unique value system that you hold, how you see yourself and how you would like others to see you. Other wonderful, incredible artists that I have known have died from drug overdoses and lived in a more abusive and hurtful way to themselves. To each his own. We are free citizens of the universe.

For me every moment of every waking day, be it doing homework with my daughter, cooking dinner, walking the dog or picking up a guitar, flute, hand drum or harmonica, teaching someone English or mowing the lawn is an opportunity to create SOME-THING unique. This idea burns in my heart. All day long I am putting disparate objects, word, ideas and sounds together in novel ways to make something never heard, felt or seen before. When I worked in a cacophonic, incredibly loud plastic bottle factory I spent 8 hours a day singing over the machines and kept a notebook to jot down ideas and lyrics. I found odd pieces of plastic and made shakers, horns and a plethora of strange noise making things. I just couldn't help myself, and neither should you. You are a born creative and nothing can get in your way. It is not a choice, but an imperative, a life and death every breath type of situation. Just go for it, feel the flow and tap into it because there is no boundary between who and what you are. I will say it for you so you can once and forever get over it...I give you my blessings to call yourself an Artist with a capital A. There, now go out and make yourself a t-shirt with a picture of your big ol' tits under the words "I am an artist, superliquidsunshine says so! Peace Out.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. Anachronox

Anachronox Noisemaker

In my humble opinion, one should never call themselves an artist. Why do you feel the need to tell yourself you're an artist? It could be interpreted as insecurity or lack of modesty.

When others call you an artist, that's when you gotta be proud :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

Touching stuff, thank you...

That's how I felt, other people called me artistic and I denied it... but you get to a point where you evaluate your choices and realize, oh crap! I lived quite an artists life. Cuz you look at yourself and everyone else around you, and you realise that is the direction you have taken...

It's kind of like a child raised by an OCD family and he finds out years later that he also is OCD, he just didn't know it... you figure out the way you are later in life and either you become proud of it or angry about it, depends on the way you were raised...

14. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

Also thank you everyone for their input :)

15. 30hz

30hz Producer

problaby I'm not , but i like to think it !

16. Anachronox

Anachronox Noisemaker

I see what you mean man! In my previous reply I was actually talking from a musical point of view. In that sense, I meant that a musician shouldn't brag about their skills by calling themselves an "artist", and let the others do that. I should have been more clear, my bad :)

Generally speaking, I agree with you! Nothing wrong with living the "artistic" life and realizing it. To me, the important thing is to keep a touch of humility, a touch of irony and just do what you enjoy :thumbsup:

17. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

nah i dont. im just enjoying some time with the gear i have.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  18. au38wzh

au38wzh Platinum Record

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  19. guitarie

guitarie Kapellmeister

same for me !... for me it must be a hobby, so i can de-stress from work! and not just to get stress from making it ;-)

20. foster911

foster911 Guest

My heart is stopping by hearing that name.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2016
  21. mageye

mageye Producer

I do stuff.