Do you consider "making music facilitated by any kind of computer program" cheating?

Discussion in 'Music' started by foster911, Nov 19, 2017.

1. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Talking seriousness this would be like only classical and jazz and a few select acoustic genres.
    The rest genres are so derivative and easy to play and produce that shouldn't be mentioned as really serious. Either way i would love a metal guitarist to play without any kind of distortion a whole show. But hold on you'd say that is an unplugged concert of sorts and you will be right of course. But what is it then that you really play the instrument or the dist pedal lol...
    I need to mention trying to play the fast chromatic runs of modern metal without distortion would make most well respected guitar players look and sound like start up students. Bro, i am well versed in metal and have worked with metal bands. In the older days you may have missed, purists of guitar would complain that going full on dist on an amp and fiddling away, lets you get away with bum notes and mistakes too many times. Which to be honest is not far from the truth. Many would agree that Metal, includes both some of the best and some of sloppiest gtr players around.
    So we should compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges.
    In the same perspective it is only those who possess the gift of being MUSICAL that will use loops and NOT sound generic or derivative. And most of the times these people are real musicians like this dude over here:

PS: For what it's worth, if your music is as good as your spirit is, chances are you 're going places :) At least imho. Cheers

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Where's the song? A rather mediocre guitar solo over two chords for 5 mins........not a song. It's a backing track at best.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2017
  3. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Oh i forgot :
    Yeah sure... So 3.5 million people who attended the Jean Michel Jarre Oxygen live in Moscow were hating it right?
    And i guess these peeps attending this are hating too, right ?

PS: My friend, if a Jean Michael Jarre show is playing near you, take my humble advise and go. It is by far the most unique audio+visual experience on the planet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

5. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

what... you never knew about his catalogue?

chop hits.png

6. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

I agree that we have both good players and sloppy player, and I am not against using effects like dist pedal, and I am not saying every sloppy player is the best musician in the world, etc
    So this doesn't change my mind...

My definition of Serious is the music that First, its "main" purpose is not dance, party, drinks, attractive visual things, sex,... It is the Music, and Second, you play "notes" of instruments! not pressing the play button of different loops and samples.
    If pressing play button would make somebody Musician, everybody was now musician. They aref as I said "dj, Looper, Remixer, sampler"
    I repeat again I am not against these, I am saying PROPER WORD should be used.

For live conserts, I said serious music that I defined, so don't give me an example of drunk people who wanna dance with every diamond or shit beats that they hear. For instance, Dream theater don't even use guitar backing tracks for the parts that John petrucci wants to play solo... If it was acceptable they would use them for sure, but they don't even use their recorded performances on live shows....

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Serious metal [​IMG] ?!

Always thought of metal as part and parcel of puberty, like hating one's parents: an embarrassing stage most of us outgrow. I repeat again I am not against pointless fretboard acrobatics, mindless riffing and creepy homoerotic cosplay euphemistically referred to as "metal."
    Vive la differance, I always say :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

You just described 80% of the crowd in metal concert only they can't dance dude... just head bang

Oh and for Dream Theater bit : EDIT: Because some didn't get it this is Jordan Rudess of Dream Theatre messing with... yep , loops . Omg sacrilege hahaha...

And of course the shit beats etc. is your definition, judging a kind of music vs another ain't smart especially when you are a metal fan which isn't exactly the top of lyrical themes neither dives deep into complex arrangements etc., not to mention the clown theatrical antics with all the fires, beasts, 666s etc etc., repeating over and over since Black Sabbath. Beats music is full of crap artists as much as metal is. And rock and pop etc etc.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  9. tooloud

tooloud Guest

It appears this boils down to "does playing an instrument equal legitimacy" or "does pressing a play button to trigger somebody elses loop have the same rights to musicianship as the instrumentalist" It should not be about bashing any specific style of music. We were addressing whether computers facilitate cheating. I disagree with the word cheating and feel the question was biased from the outset. Based on the work done by Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk and Jarre, there can be no doubt that the use of technology is totally valid. But they were pioneers and have little in common with today's 'drag and drop, generation for whom music making requires little knowledge of tempo, timbre or tuning. And that's just the t's.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. sparkles

sparkles Guest

Well, im not a musician i dont know how to play any instrument but I have one trumpet and I can play some notes' I have a classical guitar and I can play some chords not for produce a track and not to feed my self and my family just for fun. I programing music through software and some hardware stuff trying to give pleasure to my self and why not to publish a super track one day, my target ! I agree with both views even if this agreement seems no legit, well thats me for now. In other hand everyone has their own opinion,everyone lives in his own unique world. Yes whatever you do always something will whisper in your ear the opposite of what you are doing, take it or leave it, live with it or ignore it
    Btw nice point of both views!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

My cat, who paws at my keyboard when bored & wants to be a pain, is a musician. So Is any human capable of struggling through Fur Elise or banging out Tea for Two. TL;DR: if the buttons you press are longer than they are wide & have a tasteful, monochromatic color scheme, you're a musician.
    You might've missed this, so I'll post it here.
    [​IMG]

Shitty 1-4-5 rock guitar requires the knowledge of 1 bar cord & teh pentatonic scale -- not rocket surgery. Learning to tie one's shoelaces is, arguably, more difficult. & praiseworthy -- absolutely no shortage of lousy musicians, and untied shoelaces? A feller could break a hip that way, and then it's all downhill from there :|

12. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Pressing a button to play someone else's loop is a practice for novices. And so is playing House of the rising sun for gtr.
    To be applauded in any of the two cases you have to excel in creativity and/or musicianship because they 're both overdone.
    Stepping out of your shell as an instrumentalist or dj/producer etc., and acknowledging and embracing what lies beyond your field of expertise, thus transcending the single monotone role you play, you may become a true artist. And artistry itself knows no physical boundaries.
    Last time i checked there was no legit or non legit art. Only the good,the bad and the ugly if you know what i mean.
    Humans like to create their own "groups" in which they identify themselves as part of a bigger community, cocooning with others under the false impression that their own way of existence is superior or smarter etc. Hiding behind a given status quo as the majority or cocooning in isolation as a minority leads to a similarly single sided, narrow way of thinking.
    For me its simple:
    Do not judge, or you too will be judged

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. tooloud

tooloud Guest

Looks like I'll be withdrawing from the Miss Universe judging panel.

14. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

I learned that in one rainy afternoon in the fall of 1979. My left was struggling but i was already studying and playing the drums, so i was rockin it alright. Is this some kind of revelation if only for a innocent kid of 14 yo? It didn't make me a musician then, nor does it now nor will EVER. And you can spend your whole life being a musician and never become a true artist.
    Acknowledging what has transpired the past 30-40 years of technical evolution in music, opens possibilities within the process of creation. And it can only be done with keeping an open mind and leaving prejudice completely out of the equation.
    I find no reason to defend the myriads of button mashers all over the world nor the myriads of musicians, when they both fall under the same flag being talentless and derivative. I will find all the reasons for either of them when i recognize talent and creativity. You don't get to finger drum like AraabMuzik (from the "skrillex better than skrillex" vid) without some serious hard work, dedication and talent just as the same way you don't get to play Steve Vai's licks without making some callouses on those dam fingers first.
    Trying to demote a person's art as inferior because it doesn't fit someone's agenda or for some reason is breaking the norm and status quo that some have build their little world upon, is neither very smart nor artistic.

15. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Just when i was ready to compete for Miss Legs 2018

16. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

@sparkles
    Δεν εισαι μονος σου εδω :) Μπορει να μην ειμαστε πολλοι αλλα σχεδον παντα οι καλοι ειναι λιγοι αδερφε. Τα χαιρετισματα μου απο την Θεσσαλονικη

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. tooloud

tooloud Guest

My man boobs would have won me the swimsuit competition.

18. I read somewhere that Barbara Streisand had the engineer leave the building because he had the audacity to strap a compressor on her vocal track after listening to it after the take. Purity for her as what she thought of herself as an artist is her voice straight to medium with a the best quality vocal mic in the best room...period. She is amazing though and always blows me away.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2017
  19. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

You mean music made strictly by AI?

Because computers are tools used by humans for various tasks. Computers were designed, programmed and built by humans. I can't see using any sort of tool to get things the way I want as cheating.

So Linnstrument is ruled out then...:dunno:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Wow, i wasn't aware of this. My props to the great artist. Her and i would be best buds, at least with a blunt or two lol.
    (Although i mentioned it before, my fav reference record is Sade's Diamond Life and its production includes no compressors. The dynamic range on this album is simply amazing to me)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List