Do you consider "making music facilitated by any kind of computer program" cheating?

Discussion in 'Music' started by foster911, Nov 19, 2017.

1. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Play shmay!!!

Dnb demands My time being spent the manner that i do..
    Not for one track........But sure ive spent a good week twakin a dnb drumset or sum,thn..

So what mann....no guilt involved.....Thought we were all sharing...not intending to simply insult!!
    And if a loop fits the track.......thats fine..........
    Im sure you play brilliantly...but why not do it yourself if able....Cuz id take fuck all satisfaction outta that...

Neither would 90% of the guys i know here too!!!..

Dont get me wrong...I understand.........But thats a somehwhat arrogant approach m8

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  2. line.input

line.input Ultrasonic

Not really and not exactly. Artistic creation doesn't necessarily have to follow traditional, pre-20th-century principles to be considered valid. And it all started long before loops: remember Duchamp for instance? And Varèse? Creating a new aesthetic context out of pre-existing artifacts is a par excellence creative act. See semiotics and others for details. ;-)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Backtired......ya indeed right.....................Audddi ma Brutha

4. BibouLeNoob

BibouLeNoob Kapellmeister

Do your thing while enjoying doing it.
    That's what creation is about.
    Everything else is just Things. Violins, loops, beats.
    Mere things.

5. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

Don't confuse being creative and being inspired

in the same vein, don't confuse being gifted and having skills

pressing a button that will randomly play loops doesn't make you creative, the machine is

I have no problem using samples as long as I lead and put the final stamp on what's made

maybe you will try to learn violin for decades, and still you'll be a bad player

or maybe you're already gifted, and all you have to do is find the right tools to express your creativity,

the shortest way to the closest expression of your inspiration depends on you

remember that music - or Art - is supposed to be a form of expression

:bow:

:mates:

6. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

@foster No!
    I think that is the whole point, to express youself, so that others can recognize or feel that expression.

And every true artist knows that you can make an artform out of everything. Like starting up your computer by pressing the power button in a very special way. But if this will be considered art by others, too is up to the taste of the recipients. :winker:

7. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

I am a bit conservative for this matter...

The tools for making music are instruments (piano, giutar, sax, and so on...)
    ...so, to make music You have to know how to play at least one or more instruments.

You don`t have to know how to mix, record, master, use a daw... You just have to know how to play an instrument, and music will follow.

- I would stretch it, and say:
    If You play real instruments, You will get Real music.
    If You play virtual instruments, You will get Virtual music

It is not "cheating"... it is just compensating for the lack of knowledge or lack of time in those modern hectic times.
    As long You like what You are doing, it is OK. ... it is all just noise, anyway :)

8. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

What an odd way of seeing it. Do you also feel that van Gogh painted haystacks because he couldn't make real hay himself? Everyone secretly craves to make [real] hay instead of ̶p̶a̶i̶n̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶ shitty 2D hay simulacra, they're just too embarrassed to admit it/lazy to learn how to do it?

9. black.afrika.zulu.x

black.afrika.zulu.x Platinum Record

What does ChordPulse do that you can't do with Ableton's native plugins?

10. I believe one can be creative using samples but it there needs be a definitive line that is drawn in the sand that defines what and who a musician is. One can use sound that others create from the aethers and arrange it in a pleasing way that makes sense and is perhaps a beautiful thing to listen to, though to me that person is not a "musician" but rather maybe a "sound artist" or some other name, but no, to me a person needs to create the sound with some kind of instrument to wear the title "musician". If an amazing symphony orchestra conductor cannot play an instrument that person to me is a conductor and not a musician although they might live and breathe music and dream of treble and bass clefs as they drift off to sleep at night. The same might hold true for a music producer who facilitates a recording or the person who is the mix engineer. A waitress is not the chef and an auto mechanic is not the driver. I have been playing guitar and keyboards, the bass as well as banging on drums and things for for 46 years. I am a musician. Players are musicians, music historians do not fall under the umbrella. Some things are hard to define but maybe they need to be or maybe they don't. Working with music is so great, but I am not entirely sure that that makes one a musician. To me a DJ that samples and spins is not a musician although they work manipulating all those sounds. I really thing one has to play. It's pretty hard for everyone to be on the same page about this, I know, but wanting to be something is not the same as actually being that something.

11. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

In that case a composer is also not a musician. The musician is sorta like ...what's the word I'm looking for? The help, I guess. A waitress who delivers the chef's food; a construction worker, if the composer is an architect.
    Wear it with pride, but do use the service entrance. It's around the back. Behind the dumpster :|

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

So wrong, bruh. Speaking for myself, I have left works that I created all over the web and actively encouraged people to use them, re-edit, remix, sample and in every possible way treat them however they like. For free.

You say that's mentally unhealthy. Trollshit. It's simply giving something back to the streets that nurtured, fed, educated, tolerated and paid me for doing what I love to do. Consequently, I receive several emails a week from indie film makers, game creators and musicians thanking me for the freebies that they have found attached to one of my several pseudonyms. That's way more than I ever ask. I made my dough in the industry years ago. Now, I'm done with that rat race it is morally right that I help out the next dudes in line.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Weird.
    I never felt that learning to play a new instrument was a chore.
    It was always a joy.
    Pure. Unadulterated. JOY.

And I love Kontakt.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  14. No, the composer is a composer and not the help..something that you are not doing in a constructive way to create some sort of baseline that we might attempt a concensus to define and delineate some attempt at definition. Why not add something constructive?

15. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

1- What's your viewpoint?
    @LuckySevens is a prick.

that is it, that is all.

BTw, electric guitars are no instruments at all.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

Truthfully, the average listener that "votes" music to be big by buying it,
    usually don't care if you played it with fingers or programmed sounds ( some care most don't)
    AND playing instruments is not different to sampling just because you are physically doing things( even though there is talent in physically playing)
    because music is a language every instrument plays that same things and creates same emotional states even though there is unique things about each.
    there is no melody you can play that has never been done before.
    there is no riffs you can play that never where played before.
    there is no drumbeat you can play that hasn't been played or written before.
    there is no chorus or verse or bridge you can play that hasn't been done before.
    there is no sung phrase that hasnt been said or sung before

we take legos and re-arrange them and they HAVE been done that way before ( we just add our own take or add in detail or expand the sound to put personal nuance.
    this is identical to sampling and making something out of it.
    on the other hand there is no sampled or punched in notes that will ever sound as good in the same aspects as a real performed piece by a genius that used his own hands.
    please listen to this a bit it was played by a genius blind piano player.
    (lets appreciate the musicians pieces as well as the composers piece as well as the samplers and dj's pieces)

it is by appreciating all areas and aspects of music , that we then have an ability to draw much more inspiration than a small limited understanding. we then will be better at all the things we do with music.study the history of music and how all the styles and genres came about as time developed the world they lived in the lives they led.

17. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

Anything else we should try to find ...
    ... for?

Care to constructively create some sort of a baseline regarding which way is up? How about trying to reach a consensus re. 2+2? I say it's 7, what say you?
    K, here:
    [​IMG]
    That's whatchum'call a [Merriam Webster] dictionary; where dull normals such as myself gleen our definitions: canonical, authoritative text.
    But don't let this stop you from constructively coming up with your own definitions, or even coining your own words, in case instrumentalist fails to suffice. May I suggest musicker? How about "beer sales accessory"?

18. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

if you want to make music you will make it. with whatever you can.
    saying using loops or whatever is cheating is like telling an artist they can't use an eraser. or a ruler.
    it's bollox. i use an eraser because it gives me an effect that i find really interesting. same with DAWs. it is a means to an end.
    if you are moaning about this kind of issue then it can be inferred that you don't actually care about music itself.
    people should be free to do what they want whatever tools you may have to hand.

19. Lambchop

Lambchop Banned

[Verse 1]
    There's nothing you can do that can't be done
    Nothing you can sing that can't be sung
    Nothing you can say, but you can learn how to play the game
    It's easy

I just wrote this. Me!

20. supersharpshooter

supersharpshooter Member

As long as the final song is good, it really does not matter.