Do you consider "making music facilitated by any kind of computer program" cheating?

Discussion in 'Music' started by foster911, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

Use whatever tools you have to use, as long as creativity applies, there is no cheating.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. jhn

jhn Ultrasonic

u hear a song, u like the song, find out it uses a sample, then what?
    u eat a meal, u like the meal, find out it's deer, then what?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Yes, I believe it is cheating...the computer should be able to facilitate making music without any human help.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. tooloud

tooloud Guest

Cheating? Probably not, but it aids and abets shortcuts and laziness and just as people will look at a photo and say it's been photoshopped, so too can you say, many tracks sound mechanical and lifeless, although, like a photoshopped sunset, with the color saturation set to maximum. The days of five guys rehearsing and feeding off each others ideas are largely gone, yet it was those conditions that kept popular music changing for four decades. Stagnation is now accepted as a fact of the business (change is not encouraged) and perhaps the individual staring at a screen has contributed to that. Whatever the case, I am wholly fed up with what passes for a hit single these days.

5. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

paint_by_numbers_wall_by_spoare153-d6pm8c1.jpg
    Oh yes, it can be! :winker:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. foster911

foster911 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017
  7. monkeyfunking

monkeyfunking Noisemaker

Computers and technology are just more strings to your bow. There is skill and knowledge required to get the best sounds, same as any other instrument.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

is skillful and learned click baiting of musicians to be added to the pantheon of fine arts in the future....?

pray tell us whither and wherefore .... O Pink one....

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  9. tvandlover

tvandlover Producer

This puts me in mind of my eight year old niece and the 'app' on her telephone that changed a few spoken words into a whole production. She kept going round to everyone to get them to listen to her new song she really believed she had just written.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. foster911

foster911 Guest

Everyone in their lives is proud as a peacock of sth. The same situation for the musicians and producers too. For example some music makers are proud of the originality of their songs. For some people just the final product matters come hell or high water and the processes used for it, is unimportant. Some musicians are bounded up with making story-telling songs no matter how much complicated sonicly they're and etc. Also there're different views to making music and the music itself. Lots of tools, lots of genres, lots of workflows, ... . No one calls his/her way of accomplishing tasks diddling, cheating, whatever as far as possible.

I think the judging system and valuing any form of art are the only factors that irritate the music makers nowadays. If internationally this isn't solved properly, people will always try to find simpler ways of making music and these conversations would never end and I think it's quite impossible to find those judging systems.:dunno:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017
  11. DanielFaraday

DanielFaraday Platinum Record

Who cares? Like to sample some stuff - Do it. Don't like to sample some stuff - don't do it. Easy.

Seems like all classic hip-hop should be removed from the stores and trashed, because some angry noname with highly increased self-importance can play a guitar and forte-piano. lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

In the end, most of what we make consists of what someone else has made before you (the builder of your instrument, the musical system you use, keys and passages that invoke an emotion thanks to earlier composers we know).
    So in this case, almost no one is truly creating something himself, you are mostly combining and repeating what others have found out before you.

So who cares? Combine the shit out of everything, and make something great out of it! Everybody will be happy.

13. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Err...In a word...No....

I used to thnk tht though!...

I used to run a tonne of harware..
    And i mean a "TONNE"..
    Rooms quite literally filled from one wall to the next,wth rack mounted gear.N keybrd racks/Outboard fx n the lot!!..

Computers simply werent able to do what they can nowadays ,in terms of production outa the box!!..

HOWEVER!.....I do indeed agree that simply taking some one shots ,in drum or synth form ,and simply re-sequencing them...."isnt music creation ,tiz simply a form of remixing"

You can kinda make,those smples your own ........sure ya can....
    But me myself./.....I try to do it all myself now...

WAY WAY MORE SATISFIYING KNOWING YOU DID ABSOLUTLEY EVERYTHING
    eVEN IF THE MASSES HATE IT..........SCREW THE MASSES I SAY

Ive alwys used MY OWN one shots n stuff.......Never run loops ,not anymore...

And its for the simple reason ,that i get no pleasure outta reinforcing someone elses skill set ,by using their library for a track....

Nor lying to myself ,that i created it!..

."When i didnt ,...The dude who released the library did!"

fOR THE RECORD........i SIT THERE FOR FUCKING MONTHS ON END PROGRAMMING BASSES N HITZ N ATMOS /PADS N STRING/ETC ETC ETC...

So ive my own library to draw from

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  14. foster911

foster911 Guest

Sampling is a different story. It's direct use of someone else' final compositions usually without his/her permission. Morally no one in the world would allow other ones to use their works by cutting the specific parts, adding some FXs and finally gluing them together. This kind of compositions is like lying to ourselves. You can't find any mentally healthy person to approve that. This is the only illegitimacy that never will be legitimized for me.

I am not a hypersensitive guy to using any kinds of tools for making what I want but sampling is an item that I'll never get used to it in my life.:no:

15. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Shame there isnt an./...."Agree-Ish"...button here too

16. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

sampling is an item that I'll never get used to it in my life.:no:[/QUOTE]..

Sorry i didnt quote properly.......Meant for Foster

Hey bro.listen ...i just wondered what genres you tend to program/strum?......

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  17. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Hip Hop ,.is one of those genres ,that the sampling of a an old hook ,can make it into what it is...but i do indeed understand the presmise ,of course..

But what im reffere3ing too ,are old skoolers....Artists such as ..Erik b N rakim...PE...Bdp.De la soul

18. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

how haven't you got bored of these threads yet

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Rolflmfao./....

Yeah...Personally i was bored n logged in bro!......That was it he he he
    Long time...you good bruvvah??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. oldskoolproductions

oldskoolproductions Producer

Blah Blah Blah.....
    If you feel like spending 10 hours designing and tweaking a kick drum, then go for it.....
    I play guitar professionally...
    I still use guitar loops from sample packs....

Because they fit the track.
    Use what works.

If you feel guilty about then you have issues.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List