Do You Believe The World Can Change?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Catalyst, Apr 27, 2014.

?

Do You Believe The World Can Change?

1. With all my heart

31.3%
  2. Theoretically but not practically

31.3%
  3. No and I think we should come to terms with that fact and find a way to be happy anyway

25.0%
  4. No we're all doomed

12.5%
  1. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

[​IMG]
    I am opening this poll to everyone even the non-registered visitors of our forums. Obviously it would be great if people explained in greater detail in the comments about their choices or about choices perhaps that weren't present. This is of course a deep philosophical discussion but I want you to take a moment and really think about it. There are obviously going to be some things that are beyond our control but I will remind everyone that our reaction to them isn't. So do you believe our fate is inevitable due to whatever has already been set in motion or do you believe that we control our own destiny as a species? I think it's an important time to ask these questions.

3. AuralVirus

AuralVirus Newbie

Be here now.
    Be Here Now PDF Book
    "Can't beat the system, go with the flow."

and a couple of quotes from dead dudes:-

"The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it."
    Marcus Aurelius Antoninus
    (121 AD - 180 AD)

"Nothing endures but change."
    Heraclitus
    (540 BC - 480 BC)

ps non of the tick boxes applied to me :)

4. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

The world will not change. By that, I mean people's beliefs, ideals, expectations, etc., will leave people stuck in their ways. We as humans differ so greatly in so many ways across the world. I think those differences are why this world is so ruined as is. Me "being the change" is me going against the grain. Eventually, I would be made an example of and things would be back to normal: ruins.

5. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

Where screwed as long as there is idiots like George Bush and Putin Kim Jong Il Shemon Peres and Park Geun-hye to name a few and there is many many many other idiots mostly men of course with power who rule the world..

So no hope for change here i am to old and have read to much to be confirmed that it is not possible..

But i still hope of course but i dont believe..

6. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Yes it will change... when I will be teleport on Enterprise. Beam me up, Scotty! :bleh:

[​IMG]

7. peghead

peghead Producer

What does it mean "the world can change"? I understand the english meaning but not what you mean with this question.

Assuming that by "the world" you mean the people living on earth, I would like to point out that humans "attitute" regarding just about anything has been the same since ever.

If there's going to be a change it will take so much time that by the time it happens human race will be extinct (that can indeed be considered a change, I guess).

And besides all this.. change into what? Or change what exactly?
    There are so many aspects that make up the human race the word "change" is just not specific enough.

About the poll: it only works if all 3 questions are aswered for but one can logically only tic one of the question 2 choices or one of the question 3 choices, not both.

8. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Where did it all go wrong? NOwhere in particular, but many small steps spread throughout time.

Inspired, unfortunately, by a book that I had to study in F6.

9. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

...........................no.

Catalyst... why is your font different from everyone elses? :dunno:

Don't go all Kook on us.. using a different font sorta makes it look like what u have to say is more important.

Personally I'm not much of a poll'ee, I prefer to express my opinions in a more intellectual, educated manner... :rofl:

Sooo...Aside from the obligatory good folks, doing good things, mostly Christians...Basically the world is fucked.

10. thisis theend

thisis theend Member

Yes :)
    Cause it's like what those dead dudes said in Turk's comment here, everything is always changing.
    So at the right moment anybody could be the catalyst for anything.
    I skip the poll though since I think my world view doesn't really match the given categories. I'm some kinda strange hybrid ATM, like a happy cynic.

11. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Not while people (humans) are in charge.

12. savadious

savadious Ultrasonic

[​IMG]

Personally I think YES - the world CAN change... but the framework of current civilization (aka UN, geneva etc) needs to be completely overhauled... and such change is often most easily accomplished by erasing EVERYTHING and starting over from zero.

We need a worldwide massive calamity, alien invasion, zombie apocalypse or something in order to rebuild... PROPERLY !

13. Crash Davis

Crash Davis Ultrasonic

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have."

Margaret Mead

14. I believe that the world can change and am wholeheartedly involved in changing it in a meaningful way, and for that very reason do not have an option to vote in this pole. A catch-22 with deeper meaning (?) as question number three is forever out of reach. As a mini catalyst for change I quote the late and great Kurt Vonnegut, "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be". LOL.

15. uber909

uber909 Member

16. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

the world is constantly changing.

17. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Yes.. is changing... but sometimes and unfortunately... in bad...
    Changes are like lottery... you don't know if they will pop up being positive or negative.. but they'll still gonna' pop up...

Some human beings are born to be natively unchangeable, even if they lie themselves that they'll gonna change... they do it theoretically and unconsciously at the same time...

18. AuralVirus

AuralVirus Newbie

Is it possible that answering the poll (kind of) forces you into admitting you are either a wide eyed naive optimist or on the other hand a complete short sighted (trying not to be rude here) bigoted asshat (for want of far better analogies which aren't flowing at 3.30am :wow: ) or at "best" indecisive?

I think I'll comeback to this after I've slept as I'm not entirely convinced I've managed to convey my point adequately.

19. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

I use a different font to make it more visible. Christians have done some pretty fucking horrific things throughout history.

Hey Girl if you don't like the poll then stop being a drama queen about it by making childish memes and skip it. [​IMG]

You either believe the world can change or you don't, you're either involved in changing the world or you're not. You either live your life with some measure of control and hope or you're simply waiting for the crunch of the blade. I mean it's a yes or no question with no labels attached. For example I consider myself a realist, certainly NOT an optimist and tend to gravitate towards cynic yet here I am and I have an answer (a strange breed like thisis theend). You also have a maybe which is "theoretically but not practically". You also have the choice of explaining in detail in the comments.

20. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Of COURSE we can change the world, I'm sad that not even musicians believe it anymore. I'll quote Slacker on this one:
    Everything you think and act on is a cause set in motion and it's out there creating it's own reality. The only thing that stops the world from changing are the stories people tell themselves about why it can't happen, very much like the reasons individuals don't change. It's also because we focus on our differences rather than what we have in common but that's another story (partisanship cough cough). The world can't change for the better? Really? In the last few decades we've made massive progress in racial inequality, women have rights in most places around the world, we've eradicated tons of deadly diseases and the list goes on and on. To put this in perspective a few decades ago black people were getting fucking hung on a regular in the United States...how did it stop...by the brave actions of a small number of men and women that rallied the masses to their cause. Not that long ago we had children working in factories and that was considered the status quo in every country. Polio used to be one of the most serious problems but then a man named Jonas Salk came around and created a vaccine and the patent he chose to leave with the people rather than exploiting it for his own selfish gain. Really recently we didn't conclusively know that the United States had been spying on the whole planet and then the actions of one solitary man allowed us to peak behind the veil. How different would things have been without this one man, with his one invention or his one choice? There is certainly a shift in morality as time goes on, whatever injustices you think are going on now are nowhere even in the same realm as the injustice that has been going on for thousands of years. It's just that our standards for what's acceptable have been raised so it's simply not as prominent. If the world doesn't change it's only because people are more committed to their stories than their actions.

[​IMG]

21. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

..and?

Show me a more charitable, empathetic, humanitarian, philanthropic group... if u please. :dunno:

You ask if there is hope for this world?..

yes.. Christianity.

Short of that, IMO... were fucked.