Do vst brands matter?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lad Impala, Feb 19, 2024.

1. Kate Middleton

Kate Middleton Kapellmeister

you use what you like to use.. thats.. it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. andros1983

andros1983 Newbie

Only matters your skills. .

3. Albert Seguir

Albert Seguir Noisemaker

I think the biggest mistake everybody does is they let their ego and stubbornness control their feelings and outcomes.

It's impossible for a person to be a great songwriter, producer, beat maker, mixing engineer and performer.
    Choose one and make friends/contacts.
    (And now I’m only talking about getting real money and hit the big charts, not some hobby having the studio in ur bedroom shiznit producer).

So with other words, depending on what u want to do with ur music or what level u want to stay on todays daw plugins is enough for a great starting point.

Hardware is another topic.

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

People wish this is true, but it isn't reality. All you would need to do to see this, would be to have the same person mix the same song twice. One mix with "excellent plugins" and one with some real junk. Whatever comparison you want to make.

Waves vs Plug n' Mix. Fabfilter vs Klevgrand. WhatAbout? vs UAD. The differences in great pro audio software vs. junk are so vast that a user will never be able to overcome the differences. Thinking otherwise is just egotistical. It's easy to say that someone can make good stuff using bad gear, but proving that it wouldn't be made better by the same person using good gear; is not.

5. Jayster

Jayster Kapellmeister

Here's one for life: It's not the tools it's the carpenter

I know a pro-guy that will create you a mindblowing in-the-box mix in Reaper soley with Reaper stock-plugins that will make you thing that this has to be a multi-million dollar production. NO KIDDING

6. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

Give a bad tool to a carpenter ... and he will just throw it away and get a good one :wink:
    Thinking a master worker will use crap tools is a joke. No, never. Those tools can even hurt them.
    "Good" tools, yes.
    Any tool ? NEVER

About Reaper stock ones, they are good.
    That's all : good. Nothing special, just working tools.
    Almost no "mojo" BUT on the positive side : they will not stack a color on all your tracks.

That's another point most ppl don't understand : CUMULATIVE effect

Take a good/bad color signature on ONE track : no problem
    Take the SAME color on 64 tracks (even a "good" one) : you will get a big frequency mess down mix

There are 2 solutions :
    -use non colored tools, neutral tools (like Reaper stock) : kind of "black and white" solution. And (may be) add some colors in mastering.
    -use different colors (brands, plugins ...) to enrich your color palette, knowing each color. Takes more time and more knowledge.

Both solutions work. But the first one works faster. And i think more and more ppl will use it to gain time ... and so money.
    And those plugins are free (even more money gained).

So until you really need a special plugin, learn to use stock ones.

Studio One FAT channel is one example i like.

Some ppl praise "linear" plugins, with no harmonics.
    They add harmonic content only when needed.

7. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

but give a poor carpenter excellent tools and he'll still make a shitty table that wobbles and blame it on the wood or the floor or anything but himself..

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

Sure. But with bad tools, it will be even worse. He might even cut off a few fingers.

9. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

Exactly my point : tools are NOT main success reason
    But bad tools will only generate FAILS